Floor Fill Won't Adhere To Old Concrete Floor: Help?? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Floor Fill Won't Adhere To Old Concrete Floor: Help??

Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

Trade: Floorcovering
Rewards Points: 10

Floor Fill Won't Adhere To Old Concrete Floor: Help??

My company has installed 300yds glue down carpet over an old concrete floor. All other areas that we filled (in low areas and expansion joints) turned out fine. One room in particular the concrete on one side of the expansion joint is 1/2" low. Initially it was power sanded to remove existing paint and floor fill. It was filled (in layers) and when cured it cracked and could be lifted up, it did not bond to the floor whatsoever. Next step, sand the floor again, 20% muratic acid was applied and cured, filled again and once again the fill cracked and lifted right off the floor. My supplier suggested a primer which is being installed as of this post. if this fails...What next anyone with a suggestion?? The room simply can't be sandblasted, or media blasted. After the 2nd attempt at filling the owner informed me that the building was a car delearship in the 50's and this particular room was probably part of the garage. So most likley I am dealing with motor oil.... Thanks..

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,244

Re: Floor Fill Won't Adhere To Old Concrete Floor: Help??

Usually a "bonding agent" is suggested in the directions of the fill product. This needs to be painted on first...which product did you use as fill?

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #3

Trade: Floorcovering
Rewards Points: 10

I am currently in Albuquerque and the project is in Colorado so forgive the vaugeness of theese details. It is a blue colored bonding agent I think it is a DAP product. I believe it is the same bonding agent used prior to the application of DAP self leveler. I know it comes in 1 gal units. My crew is applying it in a small area right now to test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,280

yes, use a primer..sounds like a a contaminant.

also may help to give it a good open grinding and get it ruffed up well.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator
Rewards Points: 500

Cracks in patching compound are usually from over watering the mix. As it dehydrates, it shrinks and cracks, because the water loss, that was taking up volume during the pour. Too thick of pours, for the products limits, will also cause cracking.

Lack of bond can be caused by a lot of things. Contaminates, and surface tension.