Favorite 1 Day Epoxy Systems? - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Favorite 1 Day Epoxy Systems?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
Denverepoxycoat.com

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 6
Question

Favorite 1 Day Epoxy Systems?

Hi all, ( first post ever here, so bare with me )

I have been doing epoxy flooring for quite some time now, but recently noticed a few more bid drops than usual. I always contact the client after not hearing back for a bit, and generally ask what made them go another route than myself. Really for feedback and to learn from mistakes.

One of the leading reasons lately isn't pricing, but time to completion.
I am not far behind the timeframe of "the other guys", but they are doing 1 day install systems. Mine take 2-3 depending on prep needed, as well as dry times.

Have you had experience with any of the 1 day install systems?
Which do you prefer to apply and are they as durable?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,266

Re: Favorite 1 Day Epoxy Systems?

as you can see there's not a lot of epoxy guys on here. there's 2 of us that I know of and I ran the other one off my first day on this forum like 5 years ago. The dude liked Justin Bieber.

Anyway, a one-day epoxy system is the same product you use I'm sure with accelerator added. I add a little to my floors and get them to dry in about 2 hours. I diamond grind, put down a vapor barrier, top coat, flake and then put a polyaspartic sealer. Or I used to I should say. I got sensitized to the chemicals and now have a pretty dreadful allergic reaction every time I get near the stuff. by the way.. be sure to protect yourself when working with that stuff.

dont overaccelerate the floors no matter what. they will delaminate in a year and become brittle and chip everywhere.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (04-08-2018), DenverEpoxy (04-01-2018), dprimc (12-28-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Denverepoxycoat.com

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
as you can see there's not a lot of epoxy guys on here. there's 2 of us that I know of and I ran the other one off my first day on this forum like 5 years ago. The dude liked Justin Bieber.

Anyway, a one-day epoxy system is the same product you use I'm sure with accelerator added. I add a little to my floors and get them to dry in about 2 hours. I diamond grind, put down a vapor barrier, top coat, flake and then put a polyaspartic sealer. Or I used to I should say. I got sensitized to the chemicals and now have a pretty dreadful allergic reaction every time I get near the stuff. by the way.. be sure to protect yourself when working with that stuff.

dont overaccelerate the floors no matter what. they will delaminate in a year and become brittle and chip everywhere.

Thanks Madrina!

It seems there aren't many anywhere (here or other forums). That is rather unfortunate he liked the Biebs

Yea I have done some research on the accelerators over the past few days. I have heard of it but have my reserves on using due to the latter of your post. But, it seems these clients (mostly residential) do not care. I explain the differences, and it seems they would rather have a quicker application. I may venture into applying some accelerators on these next few systems.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,622

The only one day epoxy system i know of are the water based Armor Seal epoxy coatings. Still the floor has to be prepped, i too diamond grind the floors. I hesitate to use the water based for anything more then foot traffic.

If vehicles are going to be on it then i only use solvent based epoxy -Armor Seal 1000.
If they want colored flakes in it then that is fine but i then apply a clear coat of Rexthane over that to hold chips / flakes in place and not pull off by tires. No way a one or even two day process.

The last floor i done was 3500 square feet for vehicle traffic, the place was formerly a vehicle paint shop for 40 years or so, very nasty. Power washed, diamond grind and two coats of epoxy. Took us 120 man hours to complete. I was happy with that and so was the customer.

In your position i would be selling the longevity of the floor coating you provide. Contact your coating rep and see what they offer and stand behind. If the customer needs to get back on the floor asap perhaps doing a floor one half at a time is an option you can offer.

I am wanting to expand into polymer floor coatings in addition to epoxy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Joasis (04-16-2018), Rio (04-01-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:26 AM   #5
Pro

I use versatile, west coast, and arizona polymer. I used to use enviroshield but the AP has way better adhesion IMO. However the envirosheild pigments far out do any other pigment in price and coverage. The accelerator is awesome. You have to mix smaller batches but as long as you stick with the recommended amount or less, you'll be fine. We offer lifetime warranty on our floors and we wouldn't do that if we had to redo them every year. We tell the customer they can do anything they want on the floor after 24 hours except drive. We ask 3 days before they drive on it again. Or at least drive on it with hot tires. If they just want to move their car back inside that's fine, and they can always throw cardboard down if they can't wait the 72 hours.

As far as the water based epoxy.. I used it once doing sub work for some guy.. it went on a heck of a lot better than I ever imagined it would.. But the guy didn't diamond grind or anything. He hired about 7 people off Craigslist with no experience, told everyone what to do and I never saw him again. I couldn't believe it. He got fired after the first few buildings and I never saw how the floors held up so I can't really say anything aside from if there was failure, it was more lack of prep than product fault. We were laying 9000 square feet a day. Really high dollar apartments.. 3000 SQ feet a floor, 3 floors it was a beatdown. Primer and metallics, no sealer.

PS don't ever buy pre pigmented epoxy. Burned out every drill we had trying to stir it off the bottom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-28-2018), Ohio painter (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:30 AM   #6
Pro

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ipklxydbr...DP0hJh6ga?dl=0
Old 12-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 594

Most guys doing a one day system are using a polyasprtic for the broadcast and top coats. If you are in area with high moisture vapor transmissions this can be problematic as no primer is used to better handle the moisture.

It is easy in my area to overcome because the extra time is spent insuring the floor won't delam due to MVT.

If moisture isn't a concern, you may want to find a better supplier that can get you a good polyaspatic and start offering one day floors.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to dprimc For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-28-2018)