Dri Core Basement Flooring - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Dri Core Basement Flooring

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Sawdust maker

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Dri Core Basement Flooring

So I met with a HO today about finishing their basement. Its a walkout about 800 sq ft of finished space and they said they wanted to put down a product called Dri Core flooring over the concrete. They saw it at Home Depot and on HGTV or something and it looks like it would work well for their basement.

This is the first I have heard of the product, and at about $6.00 per 4 sq ft, they are starting at $1200 for material plus labor to install it, then begin to frame the basement up.

I have done a handful of basement finishes for both an employer and as a GC, and this was never really an issue. If the basement was dry when we started, it was like an assumption water wouldn't be an issue. After the HO mentioned it, it got me thinking that it may not be a bad idea, but out of the 8 basements I have done as a GC, not a single one to this day has any water issues. All of the ones I have done have a sump pump in the basement, but water can do some strange things. What is everyone's take on this situation? Worth it or waste of time and money?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 77

Re: Dri Core Basement Flooring

i think it would be a good idea if they came in 4x8 sheets not that crap you see at home depot

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to THRemodeling For This Useful Post:
slowsol (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Is a good product and goes down relatively easily. Good opportunity to make money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,946

I have never used it but looked into it recently. The smaller squares should give more flexibility on a floor. I backed off because the project I considered it for had a floor drain and it was a100 year old basement. The product suggestes shimming each piece level. I could understand taking out the wobble but level seems like a hassle. These thing interlock.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
custom installations

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 127

In my opinion, this product is really useless for moisture. The only flooring that can be sucessfully be installed over it is carpets. Because it sits off the concrete, it would help to keep the floor warm. At $6 a sf, it's hardly worth it.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeler & Radon Mitigator
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53
Is a good product and goes down relatively easily. Good opportunity to make money.
I've used it a couple times and agree.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Sawdust maker

One issue I possibly see is areas that get tile and areas that get carpet. I would not install the Dri core where the tile would be such as wet bar, bathroom, wine cellar, and in front of the 2 basement doors. With Dri core raising the carpet level, and carpet and pad on top of it, it would create a trip hazard where these surfaces meet. Also, from the finished to unfinished, but a threshold could be installed there.

For those of you who have used it, it is essentially a floating floor is it not?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,584

In basements water is almost always a concern if your certain it will never ever ever flood....

If you have a damp basement I think using products like dri core is smart.

But has anyone ever thought of just using foundation drain tile and laying ply over that? Same theory isant it?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming
Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
In basements water is almost always a concern if your certain it will never ever ever flood....

If you have a damp basement I think using products like dri core is smart.

But has anyone ever thought of just using foundation drain tile and laying ply over that? Same theory isant it?
I have. Twice. With great sucess. I like it for two reasons:
1.The depth of the drainage plastic is greater than dri-core
2. I installed 1/2" exterior grade ply - none of this osb sh*te!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

You are not supposed to install tiles over DriCore,only carpet, vinyl,floating laminate/hardwood.
Used since it came to market in late 90's,did HGTV segment for them once, great product.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Sawdust maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by astor View Post
You are not supposed to install tiles over DriCore,only carpet, vinyl,floating laminate/hardwood.
Used since it came to market in late 90's,did HGTV segment for them once, great product.
I was going to have the tile installed directly on the concrete, but carpet pad and then depending on the pile of carpet they get, where the carpet meets the tile could be a trip hazard. In your installs did you come across this situation with the carpet elevated and tile recessed?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

you will need to make a transition where the dri-core is.
i always wanted to find something where full sheets could be used, i like the idea of the drain tile.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,336

I used Dri-Core on a basement and it was really easy to work with. It floats and it is pretty forgiving in that each piece doesn't have to be perfectly level when installed. Mix of carpet and vinyl flooring.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #14

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ
I used Dri-Core on a basement and it was really easy to work with. It floats and it is pretty forgiving in that each piece doesn't have to be perfectly level when installed. Mix of carpet and vinyl flooring.
It really is a great product, especially for damp basements.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSOWNER View Post
I was going to have the tile installed directly on the concrete, but carpet pad and then depending on the pile of carpet they get, where the carpet meets the tile could be a trip hazard. In your installs did you come across this situation with the carpet elevated and tile recessed?
Looks like you need to raise the area where the tile goes, easy and cheap way doing is putting mud bed (min 1 1/2" thick). Check "what is mud?" sticky on ceramic tile section.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSOWNER View Post
One issue I possibly see is areas that get tile and areas that get carpet. I would not install the Dri core where the tile would be such as wet bar, bathroom, wine cellar, and in front of the 2 basement doors. With Dri core raising the carpet level, and carpet and pad on top of it, it would create a trip hazard where these surfaces meet. Also, from the finished to unfinished, but a threshold could be installed there.

For those of you who have used it, it is essentially a floating floor is it not?

Yes. No mechanical fasteners required.

As far as level, that is not true, wonder where someone got that.

It is $1.50 at local Lowes and at HD, so there goes that $6st charge.

Lot of inaccurate information guys.

By the way it comes in 2'squares and needs to be banged together like any subfloor.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by astor View Post
Not true if you read their directions they will explain how.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,584

When laying tile over this product why not just use an uncoupling product like schluters ditra... That should take care of cracking... No?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
Pro

I'm glad to here the stuff is foregiving. The spec's call for installing a full row then leveling as needed. I had visions of do this and the pieces not locking together unless it was level.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
When laying tile over this product why not just use an uncoupling product like schluters ditra... That should take care of cracking... No?
The only way I see this happening is to install a cap layer of plywood over all the littles pieces to bond them together. Then self leveling cement, then ditra can handle expansion.

Advertisement