COREtec Plus 5" Plank Install - Flooring - Contractor Talk

COREtec Plus 5" Plank Install

Old 03-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: ET's Home Repair
Rewards Points: 170

COREtec Plus 5" Plank Install

My top customer is requesting about 800sqft of COREtec Plus 5" Plank. I'm an accomplished handyman/remodeler but it's been a couple years since I installed a floating floor. That one was the cheapest product available and as expected hasn't aged very well. Is there any specific challenges with this product? The installation instructions for thsi one look pretty strait forward.

I know with the cheep flooring the lock will deform while the planks lock together such that they cannot be taken apart and relocked. rather unforgiving system. How is this product? Their demo shows the use of a bridge on each joint so I assume this means the lock itself is robust and reusable, any comments?

The real challenge with this job is the timing. They want me to do all the remodel at night (3pm-9am when the business is closed). I work alone, intuitively I think I can lay the whole floor in two nights. How long would it take you to install 800sqft by yourself? I'm not asking for bidding information since they pay me hourly, I'm just trying to set expectations.

thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 1,135

Re: COREtec Plus 5" Plank Install

Coretec is a very good product. It's been a while since I installed any, but I believe the long edge now used the Unilin click system. and the short edge is a Vallelunga lock I believe. That makes this a piece by piece install, not full rows at a time. It should be one of the easier types for a single person to lay.

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Outstanding product, we've installed in excess of 10k sf in the last 6 months or so. With prep done and furniture out of the way I would have no problem laying 800ft in one full day. That being said I'd schedule it for two. If you're doing base/shoe two days should be doable.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Pro

Thanks for the replies, I'm actually doing a lot more work there, complete repaint, new cabinets, all new baseboards, etc. The only part I'm not thoroughly familiar with is this floor.

Last edited by Everend; 03-10-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:55 AM   #5
Pro

I started this project tonight. In the bathroom is a floor drain I didn't notice before. It was strategicly hidden by a stool. How do I handle the slope to the drain?
It's in the center of a 40"x40" square about 1/2" drop over the 20" from the edge.

Thanks
Everend
Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

You'll need to maybe put dollops of patch to keep the product flat. The dollops will let water flow to the drain underneath. Maintain the drain cover on top of hardwood/laminate.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

You could also frame the 40" square with a Versatrim molding and paint the slab with a matching paint if the drain is recessed like most are.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,140

I've actually used vinyl "carpet to tile" transitions to ring drains like that and it works great. Of course, with an 8 mm product you'd need to get one with a taller leg, but once you make the hole in the material, you can just sort of snake it in there after cutting up the bottom of it so it can flex and it sort of holds itself in place if you do a good job getting the little seam tight. Pretty cool.

Advertisement