Chemical / Polymer Free Grout - Need Solutions Or Source - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Chemical / Polymer Free Grout - Need Solutions Or Source

Old 05-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Contractor Mama

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Chemical / Polymer Free Grout - Need Solutions Or Source

I am having a hard time locating chemical/polymer free grout for a chemically sensitive client. The grout gap is 1/4 " and thought Saltillo grout would work but the gap is too small.

Anyone have a source or solution? I thought maybe we could make our own grout with sand and cement? Not sure of ratio and what else to add and we are in a time crunch now.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16,217

Re: Chemical / Polymer Free Grout - Need Solutions Or Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContractorMama View Post
I am having a hard time locating chemical/polymer free grout for a chemically sensitive client. The grout gap is 1/4 " and thought Saltillo grout would work but the gap is too small.

Anyone have a source or solution? I thought maybe we could make our own grout with sand and cement? Not sure of ratio and what else to add and we are in a time crunch now.
You might want to ask over at the john bridge tile forums.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
ContractorMama (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

What you are asking for is standard grout without latex. Try laticrete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 358

Cement contains chemicals so I think the question is whether they have a bad reaction to certain chemical or a bad reaction to the thought of certain chemicals?

Cementitious grout and sealer involves as many chemicals as a urethane grout in my mind. Can you just give them the MSDS on a cementitious(with sealer), urethane and epoxy and let them make the call?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Dutchman Tile (05-18-2013), PrecisionFloors (05-18-2013), slowsol (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
I think the question is whether they have a bad reaction to certain chemical or a bad reaction to the thought of certain chemicals?
Had someone not want me to bring sand into their house because of silicosis. Mind you, I was going to put it between the pavers on the greenhouse addition............................

People need to realized that there are solids and a carrier, loosely spoken. Glue is 'chemicals' and a carrier--or else it wouldn't flow. Paint is chemicals and a carrier or it wouldn't flow. Thinset/grout is chemicals and a carrier, or it wouldn't flow. Caulk is chemicals and a carrier...or it wouldn't flow.

So once all this junk and stuff is flowed out and applied, what happens to that flowability? The carrier either evaporated and pissed off liberal/progressives (VOCs) or it evaporated, but still annoyed them (water) somehow. Any chems now have done their work and are now set. The chems are now encapsulated and/or gone. Didn't there used to be a suggestion with OSB to let it air out for a while so the glue's bad chems would leave and go to california or something? Heck I dunno, just guessing as I'm just an email account on the internet.

Speaking of which....if anyone is hypersensitive to anything, you're correct....go to the manufacturer and compare notes directly.

Or I guess go to a DIY website and let them tell you to use kerdi or ditra .....
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

So your tiling a bubble, mosaics? I've heard some things, but welcome to earth, impossible to avoid chemicals.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Pro

How were you able to tile it in the first place if they are so sensitive? Use bubble gum?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Pro

OK, we have a theme of two bubbles. Tiny Bubbles Contracting? Sorry, but am watching the hockey game, so that's all the better I can do at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzo55 View Post
How were you able to tile it in the first place if they are so sensitive?
Ya know, that's an excellent point.

Quote:
Use bubble gum?
OK, now that's number 3.
Bublicious Contracting? Hubba Bubba Tile?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 8

Remodeled a room for a client that had chemical sensitivity. Had to submit samples of all products to his hygienist for analysis. No ready mix joint compound, easy sand is ok; use this paint, not that one; unfaced fiberglass, no Kraft paper.
All of these concerns, working with windows open and exhaust fans, imagine my surprise to walk out one day to find the homeowner smoking a cigarette on the front porch. Made it hard to take him too seriously after that
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry228
Remodeled a room for a client that had chemical sensitivity. Had to submit samples of all products to his hygienist for analysis. No ready mix joint compound, easy sand is ok; use this paint, not that one; unfaced fiberglass, no Kraft paper.
All of these concerns, working with windows open and exhaust fans, imagine my surprise to walk out one day to find the homeowner smoking a cigarette on the front porch. Made it hard to take him too seriously after that
Did you ask him how many chemicals are in cigarettes? You can make grout, 4 parts sand 1part Portland white cement and a powdered colorant like what they use for staining concrete. Pre made grout has additives for curing in which you would need to mist grout continuously to cure properly in order for it to hydrate and gain strength. I'm an installer though not a chem engineer, manufacturer, rep.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Pro

If you use Mike's mix, cover with plastic sheet to hold in moisture.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Pro

You'll have to find the right graded sand also, we always used 30/65 for all our "homemade" mixes for epoxies, portlands, playsand won't cut it, too much variation and shape.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry228 View Post
imagine my surprise to walk out one day to find the homeowner smoking a cigarette on the front porch.

Latex allergies are more common that I thought. Had a GF that would break out if I got near her after doing tilework as I had remnants of the dust on me. However, mix it with water and she'd be fine, use it and she'd be fine. It was just the dust that bothered her (and most people I bet). Once whatever it was in cured (paint for example), it's inert, basically a solid. Glues and coating also outgass, but stop when they become cured too.

So maybe get them out of the house while all this stuff is going on?
I know I never cleaned the inside of my vehicle because with all the dust there, she'd never want to borrow it or go for a ride in it with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CO762 For This Useful Post:
MIKE ANTONETTI (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #14

Trade: tile, floors
Rewards Points: 81

I did a job like that once. Was granite counters(12x12 tile) Wound up with furring strips placed every 6", Lath, mud, chicken wire place in the middle of the mud, then tiles slurried with portland cement and beat into the fresh mud. No grout and no warantee. I was working for another guy at the time. Never mind the cabinets were made of particle board and the track home was full of "off gassing" materials.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Hank B. For This Useful Post:
CO762 (05-19-2013)

Tags
chemical free , flooring , green , grout , tile