Carpet Seam Repair - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Carpet Seam Repair

Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Trade: carpentry, remodeling
Rewards Points: 59

Carpet Seam Repair

I ironed a seam to remove a section of carpet in order to do mold remediation and other work, when I rolled it back into place and used the iron to re-glue the seam on the existing seam tape, the seam was imperfect despite re-stretching with Robinson kicker.
Can I use any kind of adhesive to lay in a strand of the white carpet between the green strands to cover the seam, which now looks like double green, not green-white-green? I can dry fit the strand that came out to look pretty good, and I saw a squeeze-bottle product at Lowe's that will dry clear... Any advice appreciated! I am not a flooring pro. Clearly. Last pic being the dry fit using 5-1 tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Carpet Seam Repair-img_2221.jpg   Carpet Seam Repair-img_2222.jpg   Carpet Seam Repair-img_2223.jpg  

Last edited by zmusashi; 01-24-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,936

Re: Carpet Seam Repair

just my .02 cents worth but i would hire a PRO floor guy before you end up replacing a room full of carpet.

Advertisement

Calidecks (01-24-2020), zmusashi (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,916

It would be money well spent. At least get an assessment before you chance ruining it to the point of no return.

Mike.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,236

The best repair would be to cut the seam apart. Remove existing tape. Re-cut the seam on at least one side. Then redo the seam.

If you have a power stretcher, you could set it up to push toward the seam to close it up. Take a couple bites along the seam length. Pound a couple nails in about 2' away from the seam before releasing tension off the stretcher and moving/taking another bite.

If you don't have a power stretcher it may require pulling carpet off the tack strip so you can close the gap at the seam. Once seam is complete, stretch it back into place.

OR

https://www.robertsconsolidated.com/...t-seam-sealer/

Probably your best bet for trying to glue in that little strand. It will look great if done correctly but chances of it lasting the life of the carpet is much lower than a proper repair.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike-B For This Useful Post:
zmusashi (01-28-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,885

How long (inches) is the repair? My carpet guys does this quite a bit w/Berber style. It's usually from the closet installers, when they drill for the bottom floor track. Terrifying to look over your shoulder and see a new "runway" that wasn't there before. That, and your drill bit looks like the stick you used to wind your kite string on.

Go to your wholesale flooring supplier--they carry an adhesive just for repairs like this. HD/Lowes products are inferior. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to rescraft For This Useful Post:
zmusashi (01-28-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
How long (inches) is the repair? My carpet guys does this quite a bit w/Berber style. It's usually from the closet installers, when they drill for the bottom floor track. Terrifying to look over your shoulder and see a new "runway" that wasn't there before. That, and your drill bit looks like the stick you used to wind your kite string on.

Go to your wholesale flooring supplier--they carry an adhesive just for repairs like this. HD/Lowes products are inferior. Good luck.
I have only done that one but I have been a bystander as it was happening to others numerous times years ago. That line zips across the room lightning fast. They were always too lazy to peel up the carpet before drilling through the floor
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
zmusashi (01-28-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:35 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 44

Probably got it fixed. The other thing to consider is the secondary backing usually gets damaged when removing old tape. That’ll need repaired also otherwise you have delamination and your seam will come apart. I would re cut seam both sides either detatch from wall or use a min/crab stretcher it will allow you to bring the seam together, if detach isn’t to difficult.

Advertisement