Best Four Dollar Laminate - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Best Four Dollar Laminate

Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #1

Trade: Siding, windows, Aluminum crown
Rewards Points: 150

Best Four Dollar Laminate

Hi guys,
My wife insists on a laminate floor in the kitchen and we have to hold the material cost at or below four dollars a foot. Being a kitchen I am worried about water issues and dents from dropped cookware etc.
I know I am trying to get champagne on a soda pop budget but is there a brand that you guys would recomend?
Any input appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Pro Grade Flooring LLC

Trade: Flooring: Carpet, Wood, Laminate
Rewards Points: 77

Re: Best Four Dollar Laminate

Are you installing by yourself? Or is labor included in that $4.00?

I would go with an engineered wood for that price. It will hold up better then laminate in a kitchen. $4.00 is on the lower end, but you can definately find some nice stuff for that price range.

If $4.00 has to include labor, then laminate is your only option.

Advertisement

Jer (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently
Rewards Points: 1,000

I personally do not like laminate in a kitchen. I do belive BRUCE has a floor they claim is suitable for wet area. I installed one years ago where you had to silicone the entire perimeter. It was a few years back and it was like 100mm or a 12mm floor.

Why not tile that looks like wood??? I am getting ready to install 4200 ft of a 6x24 tile wood look. Looks just like wood and its safe for water and wear and tear in the long run. And you have invested your money wisely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiethetileman View Post
I personally do not like laminate in a kitchen. I do belive BRUCE has a floor they claim is suitable for wet area. I installed one years ago where you had to silicone the entire perimeter. It was a few years back and it was like 100mm or a 12mm floor.

Why not tile that looks like wood??? I am getting ready to install 4200 ft of a 6x24 tile wood look. Looks just like wood and its safe for water and wear and tear in the long run. And you have invested your money wisely

Dan what brand are you using?

I have laminate that looks like tile in my kitchen, my wife is careful about water on it and it has held up so far,3 yeaRS.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently
Rewards Points: 1,000

I was referring to something like this. Its plank tile and it looks like wood. It comes in 6x24 and quite a few colors from classic to destressed look. And its a porcelain tile as well

Last edited by opiethetileman; 04-13-2011 at 06:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opiethetileman For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (03-18-2011), Jer (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #6

That looks great Dan and tile is what I was going to do.
The wife wants wood because she tends to drop her dishes and what not (arthritic fingers) and she thinks tile feels cold on her feet.
BTW 4$ is material only as I would install myself.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

I don't know what look you are going for, but before getting dead set on laminate take a look at whats available in engineered wood. This is a product we use down here quite a bit as a floating install. One of the higher end GCs we work for uses it exclusively because it is an outstanding product for the money and looks fantastic. We typically pay in the $4-$6 range for it. I can coach you through a floating install no problem, in many ways it is easier than a rotating lock laminate to install.

http://www.thegarrisoncollection.com...a_classic.html
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following User Says Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
Jer (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Flooring Installer
Rewards Points: 10

Why not Luxury Vinyl Tile? The planks are embossed, warm under foot and super easy to maintain. Novalis makes both a glue down and a floating version.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plaudit For This Useful Post:
Jer (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #9

Thanks for that link Precision. That is some gorgeous looking flooring. I hadnt even considered engineered hardwood till 4x4 Ed mentioned it. I did some research and I think I am leaning that direction.
I even found an ad on our local on-line classifieds for some
Mannington EH in a color called New Hampshire Hickory Honey tone. He has about a square more than I need and wants to sell all of it in one lot but his price of under $1.50 a sq. foot makes it pretty tempting.I called the guy and he is out of town till monday. Any thoughts on the Mannington brand?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Thanks for that link Precision. That is some gorgeous looking flooring. I hadnt even considered engineered hardwood till 4x4 Ed mentioned it. I did some research and I think I am leaning that direction.
I even found an ad on our local on-line classifieds for some
Mannington EH in a color called New Hampshire Hickory Honey tone. He has about a square more than I need and wants to sell all of it in one lot but his price of under $1.50 a sq. foot makes it pretty tempting.I called the guy and he is out of town till monday. Any thoughts on the Mannington brand?
Yep, great brand for engineered, especially for that price You will end up with a very nice floor for little coin. What is down in the area now? Subfloor? What is it meeting up to?

edit: Just looked it up, its a 3" product.....may want to glue it if you can - floating would take forever. Glue is expensive though.

Last edited by PrecisionFloors; 03-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #11

Hey Plaudit, thanks for the nudge in the direction of LVT.
I had never heard of that.
I looked at the Novalis stuff and it looked pretty good and then in a different flooring forum I found some installers singing the praises of a brand called Amitco.
Went to their site and was blown away by the selection of wood and stone tiling. We're talking Baskin Robbins on steroids! Also my wife likes the idea of being able to clean her kitchen floor with her favorite disinfectants, so has anyone else used the LVT and particularly Amitco?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Paul

Quote:
Hey Plaudit, thanks for the nudge in the direction of LVT.
I had never heard of that.
I looked at the Novalis stuff and it looked pretty good and then in a different flooring forum I found some installers singing the praises of a brand called Amitco.
Went to their site and was blown away by the selection of wood and stone tiling. We're talking Baskin Robbins on steroids! Also my wife likes the idea of being able to clean her kitchen floor with her favorite disinfectants, so has anyone else used the LVT and particularly Amitco?
Yeah a little bit

http://www.contractortalk.com/f27/am...k-holly-74440/
Jer (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
What craftsmanship! I havent yet found pricing on this stuff but it must be over my four dollar budget huh?
How about diy friendly considering it would be over a plywood subfloor and rectangular other than cutting around some cabinets. And I would skip the accent striping and float rather than glue?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Paul

Quote:
What craftsmanship! I havent yet found pricing on this stuff but it must be over my four dollar budget huh?
How about diy friendly considering it would be over a plywood subfloor and rectangular other than cutting around some cabinets. And I would skip the accent striping and float rather than glue?
Thanks. Yep over 4 bucks for sure...closer to 7 retail It is an outstanding product however. Install in that scenario would be easy. 1/4" Baltic Birch underlayment and you would be good to go. You cannot float that product it must be glued.
Jer (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Flooring Installer

Novalis makes Manningtons Lvt FOR them and it will cost slightly more $3.79 s/f than Novalis.
Mannington Adura

Novalis has a small line compared to Mannington or Nafco but their LVT is top notch.  Novalis-International look at the providence $1.99 s/f and hartsfield planks $3.39

Another great LVT producer is Nafco by Tarkett starting @ $1.99 - $3.89. Made right here in the Heart of Dixie, thats Alabama for those who don't sing.

LVT is a great DIY floor and your wife will love how easy it is to take care of.

Last edited by Plaudit; 03-19-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaudit View Post
Novalis makes Manningtons Lvt FOR them and it will cost slightly more $3.79 s/f than Novalis.
Mannington Adura

Novalis has a small line compared to Mannington or Nafco but their LVT is top notch.  Novalis-International look at the providence $1.99 s/f and hartsfield planks $3.39

Another great LVT producer is Nafco by Tarkett starting @ $1.99 - $3.89. Made right here in the Heart of Dixie, thats Alabama for those who don't sing.

LVT is a great DIY floor and your wife will love how easy it is to take care of.

We will take a look at those. Now that my wife has her heart set on vinyl I dont think laminate, EH or wood will find their way back to the bargaining table!
Thanks Plaudit
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #17

Trade: c-15

Quote:
Hi guys,
My wife insists on a laminate floor in the kitchen and we have to hold the material cost at or below four dollars a foot. Being a kitchen I am worried about water issues and dents from dropped cookware etc.
I know I am trying to get champagne on a soda pop budget but is there a brand that you guys would recomend?
Any input appreciated.
You will want to get a laminate that has good impact rating. Quickstep,mannington are good as long as it is 8 mm or better but remember the .85 to 1.20 cheap from cosco or homedepot or lows are give aways and are eather discontinued or one time buys and you will not be happy with the cheaper laminates. If you can install it yourself you can do it within $4.00 a ft. but use the denser padding for under pad for less eco and better feel underfoot. Dont go cheap on materials you will not be happy

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to bobertone For This Useful Post:
Jer (03-20-2011)