Adding Sand To Self Leveler - Flooring - Contractor Talk

Adding Sand To Self Leveler

Old 06-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Trade: Flooring surfaces
Rewards Points: 8

Adding Sand To Self Leveler

I was recently on a job where they were using self leveling mud and mixing play sand in with it to pour it deeper does anyone have experience with this and what's the ratio

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Adding Sand To Self Leveler

I've poured over pea gravel in deeper areas. It is recommended that you rake or roll the leveler to break the surface tension. That helps it spread out and level flatter. Just don't bring the gravel to the surface.

I suppose the sand would work.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

Did you mix the pea gravel in with the leveler or place them in the deeper area and pour over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannurrrr View Post
Did you mix the pea gravel in with the leveler or place them in the deeper area and pour over
You can do it either way. My mixer drill didn't like the stone in bucket with the slc, it was taxed out. A bigger motor would have been helpful and I didn't want to smoke it. We mixed a 2:1 ratio of slc to stone. Make sure your rinse the stone before using it.

I'm not sure if sand would have much benefit as a filler. It's a low cost way to increase volume of the poor, but don't recall seeing it on any manufacture TDS. I would call their tech for guidance on the specific product you're pouring and read the installation requirements.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
I was recently on a job where they were using self leveling mud and mixing play sand in with it to pour it deeper does anyone have experience with this and what's the ratio
what job was it on?
were they in the trades? and was it their trade?
did their boss fire them? did they have a boss?

no I don't have any experience with it.
contact the manufacturer for a how do I ratio. The number should be on the datasheet, msds and the bag.

If I saw that, I'd laugh, but not to their faces of course. I assume this was someones house someone was working on, a remodel, so looks like they are getting the work they paid for.

Last edited by CO762; 06-26-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Lol the builder didn't want to pay us to do it right so he had his regular "crew" do the floor. So while I was there finishing up the two master baths he had his crew pour the floor. They did multiple things wrong poured two layers the second thicker then the first.didnt primer over the first pour and used sand amazing it was stuck and hard I checked
So I figured hell might as well see if sand would work to make the product go further for my future jobs
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannurrrr For This Useful Post:
CO762 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Lol the builder didn't want to pay us to do it right so he had his regular "crew" do the floor.
Figured some BS was up and lo and behold, a "builder"...the creatures I maintain such a low opinion of. Those high dollar mixes are pretty special and playing with them will change the outcome. That's one of the things I like about a lot of the products today--they market them as what one board owner once said to me, "idiot proof". So idiots that don't read the directions use them and change things anyway because, well, they are idiots after all.

I knew one guy that wanted his expensive SLC to go futher so he just added more water to it. If I were there, I'da just told him to add more sand also while he's at it and tried to keep as straight face. Anywho the in floor heat failed later, but he saved himself at least $50.

I'd not mess with their ratios anymore than I would mess with the ratios of any concrete pour. And not all sand is created equal in many respects.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #8

I'm a stickler for reading directions even when you have to download a pdf file because the bag is written in German
So I'll take the pea gravel route thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannurrrr For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

pea gravel has a lot of open spaces between the stones so I lay it in the deep spots and pour over it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GO Remodeling For This Useful Post:
charimon (06-29-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 836

We did a pretty big pour with Ardex K-15 just a few years ago. It was nearly 700 bags. The reps came out and because it was deeper than 1 1/2" we needed to use pea gravel for added strength. We were told to mix the aggregate into the K-15 as we mixed it.

Bad idea. Horrible idea actually.

Distribute the pea gravel with a rake in the deepest areas on the floor after priming the slab and pour the self-leveling over top. You want a good 1/2" to 1" of SLC above the gravel so the gravel doesn't interfere with the leveling action.

I think adding sand is a really horrible idea unless it is specified in the instructions of the manufacturer. In that case I would follow instructions very carefully and document everything thoroughly. Seems really stupid to me. You're tampering with the science of the SLC.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to BKM Resilient For This Useful Post:
charimon (06-29-2016)