7" Angle Grinder Dust Control - Flooring - Contractor Talk

7" Angle Grinder Dust Control

Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

7" Angle Grinder Dust Control

I don't do a ton of floor work so can't justify the big boy toys. But I have run into a few situations where I needed to use my 7" grinder with a turbo wheel to take some concrete or old thin set down. I'm sure we all know how dusty it can get real quick. Looking to get a dust shroud to hook up to my shop vac to try and get some of the dust under control.

Will any brand dust shroud fit my milwaukee grinder? Milwaukee makes one but it really didn't look as nice as dewalts or makitas. The milwaukee uses a hose clamp to attach to the grinder. So would like to get a nicer one if it will fit my grinder? If any of them will fit what is the best one to get?

Also any special filter I should use on my shop vac with concrete dust?

While we are talking about it does anyone use a dust collector on your SDS when ripping up tile or chipping concrete? I just picked up a new sds max so was looking at bits and accessories for it and came across one like this, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HDC300-S...osch+sds+dust? Chipping out tile or concrete doesn't create a ton of dust like grinding but wondering how these dust collectors work and if it would be worth it to pick one of these up also?

They also make a dust collector for drilling holes that looks pretty neat, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HDC200-S...bosch+sds+dust. Not really a flooring tool but just came across it while searching for the others and thought it was neat. Anyone use one of these before?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,518

Re: 7" Angle Grinder Dust Control

I use a Dust Buddie which works real well, I try to set the vac outside anyway just in case the filter lets some dust come through. The hose clamps works very well and the shroud can follow the contour of the floor if I happen to tip the grinder.

http://dustlesstools.com/dustlessshr...ng-shrouds.php

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

We have an MK dust shroud. Works great. It was amazing for me to actually see the area I was grinding. Worth every penny.
CarpenterSFO (12-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

Just got home from one.7" angle grinder dust control-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1418074785.426761.jpg7" angle grinder dust control-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1418074811.179655.jpg7" angle grinder dust control-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1418074839.788129.jpg7" angle grinder dust control-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1418074870.449691.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIKE ANTONETTI For This Useful Post:
charimon (12-08-2014), CrpntrFrk (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Pro

A CDC Larue dustgrabber is ok, not sure about fitting Milwaukee, usually it's a collar design that they changeout, they would send you the basic shroud and the collar to fit your particular grinder. They make them for some model numbers but not all.
You'll need to use fine filtration bags for any ship vac to prevent filter clogs, you will have issues and maybe one day you'll get fed up with the bs and buy some professional equipment, be happy for awhile then get fed up again, and buy more equipment.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

and then the grinder is too big to get easily down the stairs. so you get fed up still again and go looking for something else
Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Pro

Craig, you know I haven't gotten my planetary grinder yet, so I don't have that problem. Wish I did.
The hand grinders are super portable, I often say to myself I should of brought my 10" grinder, loading it, power(220) vacuums(2) is a hassle.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Nunya

Trade: Concrete Prep
Rewards Points: 73

A dust deputy is an inexpensive little pre separator that will help you manage dust while using a shop vac.

http://www.oneida-air.com/category.a...5C357DFE131%7D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsb For This Useful Post:
MIKE ANTONETTI (12-09-2014), platinumLLC (12-11-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,088

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/158...-Canister.aspx

FYI

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
platinumLLC (12-11-2014)