Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3/4 Hardwood laid parallel to joist?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Double-A 
#1 ·
New construction has a 34’ wide x 28’ long family room attached to a 4’x 28’ hall.
The 1” x 8” sub-floor runs the length of the room and hall.
Want to install ¾” red oak flooring:

1. If installed the 56 foot length of the hall and family room the flooring would be perpendicular to the joist, but parallel to the sub-floor. Would this make for an un-level floor, with the hardwood riding on the edges of the 1”x 8”? What if I went over all of it with a floor sander first?

2. If installed perpendicular to the sub-floor and parallel to the joist, would there be any sag between the joist? Would the tongue and groove on the flooring provide enough strength and support when combined with the sub-floor?

We do not want to add any additional panels (osb or plywood) on the floor as the hardwood would now be flush with the tile and carpet if installed directly on the 1”x 8” sub-floor.

What to do???

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm takin' it he means 1 X 8 planks.

Perpendicular to the planks is usually the best bet, - - unless they're dipping now.

Trouble is, - - the job would look a lot better going parallel.

Personally, - - I'd either add 1/2" of plywood first (that's not a big transition) and go parallel, - - or go diagonal and direct . . .

#4 ·
The new hardwood needs to be laid perpendicular to your 1x8" subfloor. This will minimize movement and add stability and flatness to the new floor. If the subfloor was osb or plywood then you lay perpendicular to the joist. Even if you sand the 1x8 subfloor flat it could still cup with humidity changes thus making the new floor look like crap.

Ya beat me too it TomR.

#6 ·
This is clearly a HO ... read some of his last/only posts and he is building a home for his family...

Too bad he seems to be so far into his project...I could have offered him my SC2C discounts.

#10 ·
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.