Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

New Shop and Home in one

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Parnelli Jones 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Been snooping around here for several months just getting started at planning a new shop home in one. Thinking the building will be 50 by 80 with 16 ft sidewalls. I have a friend that wants to frame it with studs or LSL which I have no problem with I don't really like the idea of post frame. I have also looked at SIPS or thought about ICF what is everyones thoughts? If I go with studs what are your thoughts on insulation it will have heated floors mainly because I got hurt 10 years ago and my leg is always cold and looking at a comfortable place to grow old in. I know one can spend plenty building a well constructed place but where do you stop spending money to think it will pay back in lesser utility bills.

Thanks

#3 ·
I know one can spend plenty building a well constructed place but where do you stop spending money to think it will pay back in lesser utility bills.

Thanks
You do a heat load calculation on the design and see which upgrades have the most reasonable payback period. Code for your area may already be close to the best.

#4 ·
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the different types of insulation closed cell open cell or wet cellulose or sips any experience with your own buildings and homes what have you used for heating just confused about all the options. As far as code I have to have a electrical inspection and septic that is all that is required at this time.

Thanks guys

#5 · (Edited)
Open cell foam at exterior walls, studs, a premium house wrap such as Henry blueskin. Closed cell foam under basement slab. A sprayed membrane on foundation with interior and exterior footing drains.

Heating is about the fuel you'll be using.

Your basement will be dry, the house can breathe, and you have created a good thermal envelope.

That ain't cheap.

#6 ·
I live in a shouse too! I sprayed 2x6 walls full of closed cell (corbond) and did the fdn with icfs.

I’m contemplating 3/4 blueboard over exterior behind the siding.

You can also do blueboard in your wall, frame with 2x4 studs and use 2x6 for plate. Double stud walls are another way. I think that creating that thermal break is the most important part of insulating.

I saw a house framed with 2x8s, but they didn’t do anything to create a thermal break, waste imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Where I live in Sun Valley,Idaho they have an industrial center at the airport and they recently allowed living spaces with the industrial buildings. I got approved last fall to build a mixed use building with an 1800 sq ft apartment upstairs. it also has 600 sf of office and two garages with 2600 sf. This is going to be a spec building that I will sell when the outside is done. I am getting good feedback from people who have seen the plans, but it is the first living space in the industrial center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.