Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Help with construction drawings

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  B.Johnson 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, been around for two weeks or so but this is my first topic. I'd like to be able to draw out plans for a simple remodel, a porch add on, etc. However, I'm a terrible artist. Does anyone know of a step by step tutorial that teaches you how to draw 3D pictures but in a way that's construction related? I'd prefer to draw them because Im waiting to grow the business a little more before investing in a good software.

#4 ·
I'd prefer to draw them because Im waiting to grow the business a little more before investing in a good software.
The first time you have to revise a drawing, you'll more than offset the cost of basic software.

Back when, everything was hand drawn, and I've done a ton of hand drawing. By the time you get a drawing board, t-square, triangles, rule, pencil(s), you're over the cost of an inexpensive HO level program.

Having said that, IMO if you want to be a great designer, start by hand designing. It will help you to recognize where the issues are going to be up front and develop an approach to getting a design right the first time.

#5 ·
That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure fixing mistakes on paper is a big headache in itself. Maybe I should just make a few jobs up and try drawing them out just for the experience before I actually draw out a job. I'd rather have the experience and not need it than need the experience and not have it.

For a design program I'd like to find one for iPad/iPhone and that I can transfer from device to device. That way it'd be a little easier to work with around the house. As long as I don't have to sacrifice quality of the program at least.

#16 ·
I have to say Sketchup is a pretty good, and powerful tool for drawings, if you invest the time. There's a lot of tutorials online to help with the learning process. I took a course on it at a local community college, and believe it or not the required textbook was "Sketchup for Dummies" which actually gives you a good, basic starting point.

#7 ·
For the record, we have several programs at our disposal, but I hand draw about 90% of our designs. I find the control, lack of bugs and lack of a learning curve offsets the time to make changes.

Plus, I find hand drawn plans to be a little of a lost art (I’m a Renaissance man). I also hand write thank you notes and personal letters. :thumbsup:

#9 · (Edited)
#13 · (Edited)
Just a bit of trivia regarding hand drawing vs. computer. I live less than an hr. from Notre Dame university; one of the most prestigious schools in Nation for architecture and only one of three who teaches classical architecture exclusively in their program. Their focus is almost exclusively on hand drawing,the use of computers is almost an afterthought . With the almost unlimited resources of that school,I'm sure they focus on hand drawing for a reason and I will bet it is not for lack of computer access.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.