Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Need some insight

998 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ECS_Ecentric 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I came here to see what all I need to do to get the digging part of my business going. I currently runt family drain cleaning business that we have been in business since 1961. Was started by my Great grandfather. Took it over 6 years ago everything been going good just looking to branch out and start the digging part of the sewer lines,gas line , water lines and down spouts. I currently already do line location and normally just give my work away to another guy but just seems like I am leaving way to much on the table for the other guy. I already have a chevy 1 ton dump and plan on buying a new mini. Just trying to get an idea of what I need to do to get started along with licensing in the state of Ohio thanks any help is appreciated

#4 ·
owning equipment to use in a business is a different animal than something you tinker around with at home.

It will require upkeep and maintenance and need to be ready to go any time.

Make certain you can handle the payments on a new machine.

Do you have the time/manpower to handle running the mini and keeping up with your other work?

Good Luck & have fun....:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Yea should t be bad I'll hire more as I need I plan to just do digging on the weekends I have a state job also as a plumber but would like to just go completely back to being on my own again the drain business is pretty easy to keep up with I live in a small area

#6 ·
So you have a full time state job. The drain cleaning business is a side job. You are also a plumber. You want to get into replacing the drain lines, outside the house, when it is necessary because they can no longer be cleaned. But only on the weekends.

Did I get all that right?

#10 ·
What are you going to do when on a late Sunday afternoon everything goes to sh!t and you can't come back until Saturday. Or you don't get things ready for the guys who are laying the pipe and now they are hung up until Saturday and your customer now has no sewer line or water supply? What if a customer needs you to show up Wednesday at 2 pm?

Not sure how you can do all those things while also working full time for the state. No one is going to get really bent if you can't get a line cleaned until evening, but to deal with permits and gas guys and all that may be needed is hard to do part time.

#11 ·
The duel role thing takes it's toll, man. I worked full-time for a high-tech company while building my business "on the side." As expected, it takes forever to build a business that way.

And I did a compressed work-week, 3-on, 4-off, 4-on, 3-off, and so on. I believed that with 4 days, I could plan out everything and get some stuff done... and for the most part, I did. Eventually that 8pm call about leaks comes in, and if you value your work, you gotta address it. And it's never just once...

If you're telling yourself, "All I have to do is...", think how you feel when a client says, "All you have to do is..."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.