Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Hey you Sparkies - check this out

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jbfan 
#1 ·
You guys have got to take a look at this. Have you ever heard of such a weird problem? Cook-top restores power outage
Maybe one of you guys can help?

#6 ·
Wow this odd

I had a very strange situation that was similar to this. My brother-in-laws mother called me and said that her electric was doing funny things. Her light by her dryer would come on dimly when the dryer was turned on. There were a few other things as well. Her panel box was in the garage and she had a stove in the garage aw well. She would cook stuff out there and create lots of steam. Well years of this took its toll and one leg of a 50 amp 2 pole breaker was tripped but the other leg was stuck and would not trip. I replaced this breaker and the problem went away. So I guess I would say check all 2 pole breakers. Then turn off breakers one at a time and see if the problem goes away. Then look into that circuit.

#7 ·
my guess is there is a loose neutral somewhere in the main box or could be outside at the weatherhead . turning on the stove gives a return path and since it is a resistive load meaning generating heat the load is disipated thru the heat in the element more element brighter lights .
just a guess but should be fairly easy to troubleshoot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.