Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

PVC Lattice On a Pergola Roof

28K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Bluudog 
#1 ·
I've got a client that wants the roof rebuilt on her pergola. She is adamant about me using plastic lattice (because of the limited maintenance). I know what every mfg has to say about this- don't do it.

Have any of you "successfully" installed lattice horizontally?

Side note: she does want it in white- figured I'd mention that as there would be less heat retention and potentially less sagging.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
Well, the rafter's will be part of the roof replacement, so I'm open to spacing. I was thinking approx 18" to 24" spacing. Anything closer and it'll start to look heavy.

I thought of basically two ways to install the lattice.
1. Simply lay 4x8 sheets across the top
2. Install 1x2 runners the length of the rafter and recess lattice panels between rafters.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, the dirt will be on top and out of sight but I do agree about the sagging. Seems like no matter what I space the rafters at I run the risk of sagging, drooping, warpage... whatever. Probably the reason why every manufacturer warns in bold lettering to not install horizontally.

You mentioned "man made" 2x2's. Are you referring to decking composites?

#11 ·
Pergolas

We have used plastic lattice horizontally, 12" oc rafters, and 1/2" J channel on the ends to allow for expansion and contraction. Many years ago and didn't get call backs. Some people just gotta have what they gotta have and think your scamming them if you won't do what they say.

There are a lot better products out there that will provide more shade and rain protection also. We ran into AmeriLux, actually they called me after I went to a show, either IBS or Deck Show or something like that. Their web site is:http://www.ameriluxinternational.com/ and we used their product like this:

Attachments

#13 ·
If she's adamant about using vinyl lattice as a shade structure,

2x rafters, 24" oc.
Cut into top of rafters a 2x2 notch every 24" (gang up rafters and production notch them)

*Make sure rafter is sized correctly for the span, accounting for the notches*

Drop 2x2 purlins crossways in the notches over the installed rafters.

You've now got a 2' x 2' support grid under the lattice. No sag. (or at least minimal)

Mac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.