Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

RV trailer for job site trailer

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  madmax718 
#1 ·
I was curious what you guys thought about converting a camper trailer into a job site trailer? I'm currently looking for a new or used cargo trailer and one of my guys told me to convert my camper. It's an older model and didn't cost me much but it's already wired and doesn't leak. Here's my thoughts on it. It's got heat and a table for breaks lunch etc. lights are already in it plus a couple of outdoor plugs. Fridge for the summer and with a little bit of rework on the interior I can put a lot of tools in it. I do mostly framing so I don't need all my tools all the time. I think it's not a bad idea but not very common so any feedback would be appreciated. I don't know how to upload pics or I would

Thanks

#5 ·
I have said in other threads that if I were actually setting up another trailer to work, I would install an RV toilet.....and that said, if you were not hauling excessively heavy stuff, but just the typical tools of a carpenter, one of the smaller "toy haulers" would be pretty nice. I have seen a few that would have like 12 feet of cargo space and maybe an 8 foot area that has a table and kitchenette, plus toilet. My be worth considering.

Our 16 foot trailer is with the steel crew, and it is weighted down as well.

#6 ·
I think it would be pretty useful under unique circumstances like working by yourself or with a 2-3 man crew in remote areas where you live on site but for normal construction work I think it is unnecessary. It would be poorly laid out to get tools in and out unless you modified it heavily, ie adding barn doors/ a ramp on the back or side and gutting most of the interior. The couches and beds would probably get pretty gross pretty quick too.

#7 ·
I have thought about the same thing if I ever had to do jobs away from home but after looking at mine it would be a pain to take stuff thru that little door.
I have thought about the toy hauler. The issue is they are bigger, and then they get heavy. Done need that for normal jobs.
Like some one said, I have thought about putting an rv toilet on a normal enclosed trailer so you always have a place to go. I have a sketch for toilet with an outdoor shower, and a very small kitchenette along the front wall with a small rv fridge, 2 burner stove and microwave. Small rv furnace under there also to keep warm on those cold days to keep glue and caulk unfrozen.

#8 ·
I really have nothing to add that hasn't already been said about the obvious short comings. That being said.

There was a crew working here last year on a big commercial project. They were from out of state and most of the guys on the crew were living on site. They had a couple shipping containers that had been converted to bunk houses and a large canvas wall tent set up for cooking and hanging out after work. It was pretty neat. I had to go by the site everyday coming home and they looked like they were having a blast after hours. Big fire built and all the guys sitting around it.

If you work in that situation I would see where a toy hauler type camper would be great.

#15 ·
Older campers had the standard small doors, and not much as far as "storage"- however, with a little design work, I don't see why this is a bad idea. Just convert the toilet to a dry toilet- (if there is one), and convert the bunk area to hold some tools. Just weigh out your tools. As far as framing goes, your heaviest things are probably your nail supply.lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.