Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Flashing patio cover to exsisting wall

41K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wbsbadboy 
#1 ·
Im building a new patio cover for a customer and was wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to flash where the roof meets the stucco wall.
It will have a 2 x 10" ledger attached to exsisting framing with 4" x 3/8" lag bolts @ 16" o.c. staggered.

I have been told everything from cutting the stucco out and recessing the ledger to putting silicone on the lag bolts to seal them and not using any flashing (Yes I think he is a Bob Villa fan).
See attachment for details.
Thanks! Smitty :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
use a circular saw with a diamond blade and saw a kerf a couple inchs above the roof line, angle the cut up so it sheds water,then when done shingling install a z-style flashing into the kerf and over the shingles.You will have to bend the flash so it goes into the kerf at an upwards angle,(just as you cut it).It would probably be easier to cut before building the roof,(more room to get your saw where you want it)

#4 ·
I feel cutting out the stucco and attaching the ledger to the building would be best for support.I would ice and water behind the ledger first withe the bottom extending onto the stucco. Then make a flashing that fits behind the ledger that is bent to go back on the stucco. Bolt the ledger and make a flashing to go back over the ledger , either big or small.Seal well the top portion of the ledger where the top flashing fits in.

#5 ·
Is the "Stucco" applied over a styrofoam backing? If so you need to cut out for your ledger for sure. That part depends on what the wall itself consist of. Flash above the roof as described in above post, by cutting into the stucco wall and use Z-flashing.

#6 ·
The answer depends on the type of stucco. Synthetic seals out liquid water. Natural stucco does not.

Assuming natural stucco, water flows inside the stucco. That is why it gets dark when it rains and takes a while to dry out. The water gets back to the paper which should protect the sheathing from getting very wet. If you don't get the flashing behind the stucco and the paper, it won't work properly, though the farther back you get it the better it will work.

Here's the way I've done it, without failures.
Use that diamond blade talked about earlier, either in a circular saw or an angle grinder. Cut and remove the stucco from where the bottom of the ledger will be to 1" above the plywood. After removing the stucco, slide a 2X2 galv flashing up behind the paper. After the roofing is installed, slide the flashing down to the roofing material and seal it well.

Now the water that is running down the wall inside the stucco will exit the stucco onto the flashing you installed, not behind it.

If you look around your town you will see where people have tried to seal the roof from the outside of the stucco. They will put in a flashing and seal it to the stucco. They will come back repeatedly and tar the flashing to the stucco, all to no avail. The water is already traveling inside and behind the stucco.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I figured that I would have to do some cutting somewhere. I just wasnt real sure weather I would need to patch in some stucco after I was finished. This is a younger couple in their first new home and they are very picky about the way it looks.
As this is natural stucco I will be doing as Thom suggested. It seems to me to be the proper method.
I additionally think that by cutting the stucco out in this manner it will allow me to see the framming and be able to fasten the new cover securly to the exsisting building.
Thanks again. Smitty:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.