Swimming Pool Demolition - Demolition - Contractor Talk

Swimming Pool Demolition

Old 02-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Trade: remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Swimming Pool Demolition

Neighbor is currently building a new house and demolition started yesterday on a house built around 1960 when concrete was dense. They brought in a large excavator and instead of using a jackhammer or something similar to break up the concrete first they are lifting huge multi-ton chunks and dropping them from about 30+ feet to break them up. My house is 3 houses down and it felt like a sonic boom and shaking the house.

We are in Los Angeles.

Can anyone advise if this is standard procedure? Seems they are not only unsafe but breaking some code.

thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 3,958

Re: Swimming Pool Demolition

Why ask here ?, why not call the city they are the AHJ.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,236

Sometimes the best way to bust up concrete is with concrete, I've dropped plenty of big ole' chunks on bigger chunks until they become manageable small chunks.

I doubt you would have been happier with a demo hammer busting things up.....now that's noisy. Ear plugs for the operator and crew noisy.

www.gebcon.com

Old 02-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Rewards Points: 40

Not in the demolition field, BUT, there are articles online about the very real hazards from improper demolition. One example is using the bucket of backhoes like a jackhammer...creates shocks in excess of some small earthquakes, and violates operators instructions for the machinery. It sounds nit pick, but when you own an 1880's building like mine, or apparently even yours, very real damage to other structures can happen from over-shaking the ground. One article I found was about damage during some road project. You should be able to turn up these articles, I don't have them bookmarked. Unfortunately, I don't know what relief you can seek. My situation was our city hitting the pavement outside my building with the bucket of a backhoe and just like you said, it was unnerving, few things fell off shelves, etc. Granted my building will fall down in an earthquake, but we don't need to speed it up.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control

I never would have understood your situation had I not experienced it myself. The noise I could deal with, but the shaking was on the order of a Magnitude 2 earthquake (I am comparing this to a Magnitude 2-3 earthquake that hit 40 miles from here last year). Guys doing demo need to remember the formula for Force, which is mass x velocity. The acceleration of the slab blocks isn't as much factor in your situation as the mass hitting the ground. Same deal with the bucket head, though with a little more speed. The jackhammer is several magnitudes less mass, but very fast velocity...breaks up points of impact but doesn't shake the ground like the two other examples.

Last edited by P42003; 02-14-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,234

It's dangerous. Probably common among guys that don't have the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #7

Trade: remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Would have much preferred the noise of a jackhammer to break up the smaller pieces than to drop these enormous chunks that shake the neighborhood and possibly causing damage. Seems the demo contractor did not want to take the time to do this responsibly considering the age of the two houses bordering the site.

Just wanted to ask the question on best/ responsible practices in demo .

thanks very much
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

Trade: Demolition

Another option for demo is a device called a Sierra Blaster. It's an electrically fired blasting system, that doesn't need an extensive ATF license. I use it at my mining claim and for breaking up rocks and concrete at construction jobs. The charge costs $1.50 and it is waterproof. An example of its power is I can drill a 4' diameter rock 12" in and set the charge. I stand back 20 feet and set it off- no fly rock, and no loud explosion, and the rock will shatter into 5 or so manageable pieces. This is a new invention and I have probably 2 full years of experience on my mining claim and using it for concrete demo. Very cool, and you won't get any complaints from the neighbors if you throw a painter's tarp over it, no one will hear the shot. There is nothing like it on the market. http://www.sierrablaster.com/rss-landing/
The Following User Says Thank You to Minerrick For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

Come up here in the Rocky Mountains when they blast with dynamite to run water lines, install septic, etc.

Some backhoe operators have some pretty evil looking dippers with Mad-Max prongs on them and can often break up the underlying rock. But when that fails or if it's solid bedrock, out comes the dynamite.

Sierra Blaster? Sweet. I'll have to ask around and see if guys are using them here.

Last edited by kirkdc; 02-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #10

Trade: Demolition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdc View Post
Come up here in the Rocky Mountains when they blast with dynamite to run water lines, install septic, etc.

Some backhoe operators have some pretty evil looking dippers with Mad-Max prongs on them and can often break up the underlying rock. But when that fails or if it's solid bedrock, out comes the dynamite.
dynamite has its place as do other forms of demo. But where you are in a "delicate"situation, with the potential of being sued because of your jackhammering or other explosives causing damage to the neighbors, there are lesser alternatives. I often get called in to do jobs where there are boulders in ditches that extend under foundations- so rather than risk damaging the foundation, I spend about 15 minutes on the job and the excavator gets back to work and I am on my way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minerrick For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (02-07-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
It's dangerous. Probably common among guys that don't have the right equipment.
Yep, some hillbilly demo guy trying to make do with what he has, and too cheap to rent or buy the proper equipment.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,695

Excavator with Jack hammer on it. Takes it out fast in whatever size pieces you want.

Pools are nothing but shotcrete and steel, it's pretty tough. Around here, you may be paying for foundation cracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
greg24k (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

and you want to know why??
Old 03-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 32

Wow, old thread but I've been way too busy to get on here. I've demo'd my share of pools and never had to drop anything or bring in a hammer to break the concrete.

That said, most legit demo companies have a 20 to 25ton machine as their smallest for house demo and for tight areas. I've used a 20ton and demo'd a house pool in a half a day without any problems.

Don't know what those guys had but a decent operator has tricks to undermine the structure to "help" not beat up equipment.

Sometimes, the operators on "smaller" trackhoes are more creative because you just don't have the power of larger machines. But, yeah at the same time, I think a house pool should be easy work for a good operator and a 20ton. My 2 cents.

Advertisement