Starting A Monument Business

Old 07-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Trade: sandblasting
Rewards Points: 10

Starting A Monument Business

Hello all,
I am about to start a monument company and I am curious if you guys can shed some light on what sandblasting equipment you recommend. What size you think I will need as well as preferred manufacturers.
I will be doing most of the work in a shop, but I will being doing some on-site work as well. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

Re: Starting A Monument Business

I have done some monument stuff. I think the media you are going to want to you will be aluminum oxide. The grade you need to use will depend on the finished look you are after. I did a huge order of glass frosting is 1999 for Viracon. For a rough look we used grade 54 for a softer frost we use 100 grade. The most important part of the process is getting the right stencil tape. It has to be strong enough so you dont get over blast when cutting is your letters. This is my last day off the road for about a week I will get you my supplier for the tape ASAP. The aluminum oxide can be found on the net you have to find the cheapest supplier in your area. As far as equipment goes find a distributer in your area of one of the big brand names. Schmidt, Clemco, Empire ect. The blast pot should be caplable of adjusting to different pressures. It does not take a huge machine for this type of work. I would still recomend a compressor of atleast 250 cfm just in case you get some customers that want some car frames or other odd jobs done. I like Ingersolrands that have a johndeere in them so they can be repaired at an john deere dealership.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Thanks Panderson, I really appreciate the reply. I have spoken to a few different mfgs., but I like to get advice from folks who are actually in the field using the equipment. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

oonecello,
I was rained out today in southeastern MN. I got a chance to look into that tape. U-Line makes packaging and banding components for shipping and banding pallets. Plasti-Blast makes some of the blasting media we use and tapes. Tyco adhesives went broke and a new company now makes the blast tape. Ive been out on the road since march and have not caught up with the suppliers. My local supplier in Austin Mn, Proline distributing may be able to help you with what you need. If I was in the new buisness of monuments I would find out about Wilbet. They make the casts for the caskets. I see thier plants all over the upper mid west. pa I may spelled Willbet or wilbert wrong good luck
Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #5

Thanks again for your input. It has been extremely helpful.

Tags
monument, sandblasting