Safety Measures For Cabinet Sandblasting Using Aluminum Oxide - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

Safety Measures For Cabinet Sandblasting Using Aluminum Oxide

Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #1

Trade: Automobile restorer/fabricator
Rewards Points: 10

Safety Measures For Cabinet Sandblasting Using Aluminum Oxide

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a cabinet sandblaster and am using aluminum oxide to take the paint of the tubing/pipe I'm using to build manifolds. I've got air and vacuum going to and from the cabinet with the intent to vent the vacuum outside.

I was just wondering if there are any other safety precautions I should take when opening the cabinet. Currently, I'm letting the vacuum run for 30 seconds after I finish a piece before opening the cabinet.

It's 80 grit media. The reason I ask is that I had read about some health concerns with using silica as a media and how it can do damage to the lungs due to its small particle size.

If there is some more precautions, such as a certain type of particle filter to use, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Pain
Rewards Points: 160

Re: Safety Measures For Cabinet Sandblasting Using Aluminum Oxide

How big is the box,is the vacuum/dust collector desinged for it.U can ues a half mask respirator with hepa filters, that will keep your lungs working longer.me i just get the parts and close the door no mask.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #3

Trade: Media Blasting

Most if not all commercial bagged A/O media contains less than 2% free silica.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Sandblasting

Ya, most blasters honestly don't wear anything but if you want to be extra careful put on a half mask, cartridge style respirator when messing inside the dust collector. And keep doing what you have been doing with regards to the opening of the door. Stop blasting, blow off the item being blasted, let the collector run for a short while, and then open the door.