MMLJ Vs Geoblast

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Trade: sandblaster/industrial painter
Rewards Points: 10

MMLJ Vs Geoblast

Hi,
I am considering purchasing a dustless system and would like to know if any one has had any experience with MMLJ and how they compare to the Geo Blast?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: DUST FREE Media Blasting and Sandblasting
Rewards Points: 506

Re: MMLJ Vs Geoblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornbob View Post
Hi,
I am considering purchasing a dustless system and would like to know if any one has had any experience with MMLJ and how they compare to the Geo Blast?
What's a MMLJ?... never heard of them.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: abrassive blasting
Rewards Points: 500

It's the sandstorm style pot they now fill them with water grit and a bit of holdtioght 102 and away they go.
Their customer service is the best in the business.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #4

I currently blast the old fashion way but I am interested in going dustless. Does any one here use the MMLJ Dustless blasting system or have any thoughts about there equipment?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Always 1st yr apprentice

Trade: diesel fitter
Rewards Points: 75

I have a db150. If you see my post in the thread called "geoblaster" I give my comments on it.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Pro

I've seen the Dustless Blaster in use and it dumps out a LOT OF MEDIA and a LOT OF WATER.

From what I could see you can't control the flow like on the GeoBlaster and what you end up with is a clean-up mess.

With the Geo blaster you can turn the water down to the point where it's somewhat dry, but just damp enough to keep the dust down.

With the Dustless Blaster you have a LAKE under whatever you are blasting with mud in it to deal with after you're done.

Yes it keeps the dust down but you're introducing a lot more media and a lot more water.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

I am having trouble finding end users using the sandstorm type of pot for references.
If you visit their web site they advertise no clogs. Also, if you watch any of their demo videos, very little mess and water.
Things I like with the sandstorm pot. No electronic panel to fail, All parts are off the shelf and available locally. Others have proprietary parts, and limited local service techs. Geo blaster is twice the price,
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 278

I don't know about the Geo Blaster but the Farrow has no electronics or electrical components, everything is handled via air and water valves, likely the Geo is that way too. Where did you get the idea about an electronic panel, mmlj advertising?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Always 1st yr apprentice

Trade: diesel fitter
Rewards Points: 75

That mmlj have one thorough internet campaign that's for sure. I have one, and if id paid full price for it I would have been devastated. It uses a lot of glass and water. It will go through 50lbs of glass and 5 gallons of water in 11minutes. It does leave a good finish but that is more the abrasive than the pot trays throwing it. If you have the coin buy the geoblast cause you'll end up buying both if you're serious about using dustless equip.

What is the pricing on a geoblast? I would have to put a 1000% Mark up on top for Australian buyers I suppose, seems to be the way it goes here.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 149

Looking at the GEO, Farrow, and I have seen another one on the web now, the panel may look electrical but likely houses mostly pneumatics, water pump, valves and guages.

I have a Sandstorm 200, Soda 150, and MMLJ multi 200. I would like to convert the multi 200 to a wet blaster but only if it efficient. Bernie at MMLJ said it would be around $600 to convert, basically it looks like I need a pinch valve and pneuatic dead man.

MediaBlaster - Was the demonstration you saw by MMLJ or an equipment owner? Their videos show some water but not the amount you saw.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast Off View Post
MediaBlaster - Was the demonstration you saw by MMLJ or an equipment owner? Their videos show some water but not the amount you saw.
No... I was at a marina a couple of months back or so and a local guy was blasting a boat bottom with the Dustless Blaster.

He said he just got in the business of doing boat bottoms and bought this Dustless Blaster because there's a guy with a Farrow System doing boats and everyone likes what he does.

From the mess he was making I don't think he's going to be in the boat bottom business for long... I also didn't have the heart to tell him I'm the guy with the Farrow System/GeoBlaster that everyone likes.

Anyway it was real messy.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
I am having trouble finding end users using the sandstorm type of pot for references.
If you visit their web site they advertise no clogs. Also, if you watch any of their demo videos, very little mess and water.
Things I like with the sandstorm pot. No electronic panel to fail, All parts are off the shelf and available locally. Others have proprietary parts, and limited local service techs. Geo blaster is twice the price,
In their videos from their website they have a win nozzle on some of them.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #13

there are 2 local companies, each with a demo unit.
I can arrange a demo of both the GEO and ECO blasters and will let you my thoughts on each unit.
I may even be able to arrange a demo of the MMJL unit.
thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Pro

I've seen the eco blaster in action it was a good machine.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
there are 2 local companies, each with a demo unit.
I can arrange a demo of both the GEO and ECO blasters and will let you my thoughts on each unit.
I may even be able to arrange a demo of the MMJL unit.
thanks
Did you ever demo any of them?

I'm leaning towards a dustless blaster (MMJL) because of their price and all the vids I have watched of them, it seems like a good machine. I am concerned over what others have said about it using excess media.

I'm going to see if there is anyway to demo and check on their return policy..I imagine they hit you with a restocking fee. I'm going to call them Monday and see.

The db150 would work for everything I want to do and is $5K. At that price I won't blink an eye. But I'm thinking that if I end up doing bigger jobs, then I should get the db500 and that's $12K. Which is really pushing my comfort level. Then to go to the db800 is only $3K more. Which at that point my comfort level is gone.

If the Geo400 was $15K I would probably just buy it. But at $25K it's not going to happen unless I turn it into a full time business and see the money beforehand coming in from using a cheaper machine. I will most likely roll the dice on a db500 as if it ends up not working for me I will return it and eat the restocking fee.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #16

I am having a demo of the dustless blaster on monday. I will also be seeing the geo in the next week or two. Right now I am expanding my business ( currently blasting) and relocating to another municipality. The hoops I have to jump through to move the shop and the cost of buying a new reclaim system, filtration system, breathing system, I was looking at $150K+ CAD.
I figure if it works well and less hassle and money, why not look at it as an option?
I know that MMLJ has financing. I would go as large as you are comfortable with money wise. I think these machines offer a flexibility I'm looking for?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
I am having a demo of the dustless blaster on monday. I will also be seeing the geo in the next week or two. Right now I am expanding my business ( currently blasting) and relocating to another municipality. The hoops I have to jump through to move the shop and the cost of buying a new reclaim system, filtration system, breathing system, I was looking at $150K+ CAD.
I figure if it works well and less hassle and money, why not look at it as an option?
I know that MMLJ has financing. I would go as large as you are comfortable with money wise. I think these machines offer a flexibility I'm looking for?
Very cool. I look forward to your review of the MMLJ. Please post as early as you can, as I'm looking to buy something right away.

I don't finance, which is why I would prefer to just get the db150. But if this turns into a separate business, then I'm sure I would be pissed that I didn't buy a bigger model. Which is why I'm thinking the 500.

They recommend the db150 for automotive, db500 for marine and db800 for industrial. I can certainly see doing boats here in FL.

Their smallest mobile uses the 500. I'll just rent a compressor for jobs and put blaster on truck until I find a good deal on a used compressor. The other day I saw an ad for a 2006 210 cfm @ 150 psi unit with 310 hours, asking $8K. Called about it and it was already gone.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Pro

I have had two MMJ pots they are great with soda but to get them to flow with heavier abrasives like glass there are flow issues.
You have to stop and start all the time to keep the bloody things going.
That is on the smaller type of blast pots.

I will eventually buy a wet blasting machine for blasting in the wine industry here in Australia.
I will have to check with the EPA to see if I can get away with less containment then what I use when blasting dry.
The Environmental code of practice here in Australia is stupid for blasting it was written to give us free room to do what we want but try and keep things clean but it is also suggesting that we are only able to blast in a booth bloody crazy.

But for the mean time dry blasting is getting me by just fine.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausisoda View Post
I have had two MMJ pots they are great with soda but to get them to flow with heavier abrasives like glass there are flow issues.
You have to stop and start all the time to keep the bloody things going.
That is on the smaller type of blast pots.

I will eventually buy a wet blasting machine for blasting in the wine industry here in Australia.
I will have to check with the EPA to see if I can get away with less containment then what I use when blasting dry.
The Environmental code of practice here in Australia is stupid for blasting it was written to give us free room to do what we want but try and keep things clean but it is also suggesting that we are only able to blast in a booth bloody crazy.

But for the mean time dry blasting is getting me by just fine.
They have their 3 different brands. Sodablast systems, Sandstorm and Dustless blasting. Which do you have?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
Pro

Soda blast systems is the ones I own.

They are all based on the same design.
They are branded as multi media pots but they really only shoot soda and fine garnet.
Anything else they struggle