How Much Do I Charge To Sandblast A Car Frame?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Chris

Trade: SANDBLASTING
Rewards Points: 526

How Much Do I Charge To Sandblast A Car Frame?

I had to repost, had forgot to subscribe to the thread sorry.

I blasted the inside bed of that 1960 El Camino with 40K orig miles on it. Came out 100%!!!!!!!!!I was very happy and so was the customer. I now have to price a frame of a 1957 Chevy. What is the going price for sandblasting a car frame? Everything is off and it is ready for me. That was my first paying job and was very nice. I have had 4 calls since last week wanting blasting. Its gonna be a good summer.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

Re: How Much Do I Charge To Sandblast A Car Frame?

$500

how much did you charge for the bed? and long did it take you?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

I've heard that you can seriously F-up body work when you blast it (warpage). Is that a fact? I have a sandblast guy that fixes up places on the trucks, and he charges 40 bucks an hour. Seems pretty cheap to me, but I don't think his guys make very much.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I've heard that you can seriously F-up body work when you blast it (warpage). Is that a fact?

Yes, true when using sand. Sand heats up very quickly causing the panel to warp. Sand should never be used on sheet metal. You can use other media for body, Baking soda (Preferred method) Glass beads, plastic, walnut shell, and corn just to name a few.

Soda is preferred because it is water soluable. Clean up is easy.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

I got a quote the other day to sandblast the rust and repaint my E250 for $2500 Canadian. I'm almost thinking that's a good deal, but I only paid $4800 for the van in the first place.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Chris

I got $250.00 for the bed. I used 300 lbs of sand and it took me 1.5 hours to do. Not bad money if you ask me. I priced that frame today at $225.00, and that was me picking it up, taking it to my place, blasting it and returning it. He looked at me like I was crazy.... He said that he could have it blasted and painted for that price. I told him, "well you better do it." and walked out. The company he is talking about will charge him $350.00 to blast and prime it and a $50 pick up fee, I already called them before I priced it LOL .. I got to stay ahead of the game. I have blasted alot of my sheet metal stuff with sand, the key is to keep you distance giving the metal time to cool down. It can be done.

Last edited by killzoneq2; 06-04-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Chris

Just as I suspected, the frame guy called me back today and wants me to blast that frame. I knew that he would not want to pay what that other company wanted..I picked it up today and he threw in some A-arms. I wont charge him any extra because I know they will be calling again.
Attached Thumbnails
How much do I charge to sandblast a car frame?-frame.jpg  
Old 06-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

Quote:
Originally Posted by killzoneq2 View Post
Just as I suspected, the frame guy called me back today and wants me to blast that frame. I knew that he would not want to pay what that other company wanted..I picked it up today and he threw in some A-arms. I wont charge him any extra because I know they will be calling again.
You're a lot nicer than me.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #9
Chris

I will have him a work order typed up including the A-arms as extra with the price being the same. He will know that I gave him a deal.....
Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Chris

Got the frame done. It took 700 lbs of sand, it had some under coating on it that took longer that I thought to get off. It took 2 hrs. a-arms only took 10 min and I charged $225.00. That is just over $100.00 an hour with materials. I dont think that is to bad for a part time gig.. Does that sound fair to any of you sandblasters out there?

I want to try and keep everyone informed of what I do and how much media it takes and the prices I do them for. I am still learning so I may loose my ass on a few jobs. I hope everyone can help me out by posting some of there job details..
Attached Thumbnails
How much do I charge to sandblast a car frame?-after.jpg  

Last edited by killzoneq2; 06-08-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: contractor

Killzone

sounds cool and all and not tryin to burst your bubble

$225 is peanuts man.

What are you basing your pricing on?? Or how, rather??

One thing - I never leave the house just to do a job under $500

Any job under $500 gets done WHILE I AM OUT already working

Last edited by dirt diggler; 06-08-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Chris

I realize it may be peanuts but I am just starting out. I have a full time job and do this for my madd money. I would like price more competitively but am still learning. I have no idea on how to charge sandblasting jobs because I have never sandblasted before in my life. It is something that I always wanted to do and this frame was done at my house, however I did pick it up 4 miles away. That is why I am on this site, to learn and to get feedback from others. I am not an expert in this line of work and do need guidance. I would hope that other would chime in and assist with feed back as I am posting my jobs. I am still learning so don't bust my bubble to hard. I did learn a lesson with this job, the next frame I do will be $300.00 and to me that is a fair price. Its all about trial and error when you have very minimumal help. I learned to never run my compressor out of fuel. It took me 30 min to get it primed again Any way, that is what this site is all about is learning from others and helping others.

Last edited by killzoneq2; 06-08-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

you might want to come up with an hourly rate for jobs you are unsure about how long they will take. Be sure to include overhead such as wear and tear on your equipment and how much media your set-up sprays per hour.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Chris

I think I am doing all right so far. They will have another frame for me in a few weeks. All this place does is build custom frame off restorations.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt diggler View Post
Killzone

sounds cool and all and not tryin to burst your bubble

$225 is peanuts man.

What are you basing your pricing on?? Or how, rather??

One thing - I never leave the house just to do a job under $500

Any job under $500 gets done WHILE I AM OUT already working

Correct... Cost Per day of doing business plus a profit is needed. Some jobs arent worth it.

Rich

But in Killzones case, his income isnt based on blasting. Its a part time hustle and is builing Clientele for the future. Maybe it may come to a point where he will quit his day job.

Killzone, you have to check your nozzle orfice. you are running hard abrasives that will wear your nozzle quickly.

Last edited by plazaman; 06-09-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazaman View Post

But in Killzones case, his income isnt based on blasting. Its a part time hustle and is builing Clientele for the future. Maybe it may come to a point where he will quit his day job.
as if killzone is the only person who started out this way ...

look - killzone. if you have a full time job NOW is the best time to start experimenting with your pricing. You can high ball without the added stress of not getting the work. You have a SAFETY NET.

cuz - you will get a check from your other job, right?

when i started - i was like "oh i need 50 clients" ... my reasoning was "well, build the client base and things will work out"

I've got a pretty wide base. I have nearly 50 clients (who I can count on for at least one call per year)

but you know what? out of those 50 - MAYBE 15 of them are money makers. The others will shop me if pricing gets too high for them.

This year I will probably lose HALF of those clients because I have raised prices considerably.

remember - your clients are fairweathered friends, at best. There is always some knuckle head who will do it cheaper. Count on it. So why compete with them when you can compete with the guys actually making money.

I'll say that again

There is always some knuckle head who will do it cheaper. Count on it. So why compete with them when you can compete with the guys actually making money.

Otherwise - keep your day job. Owning a business is glamourous and then when the honeymoon is over ... it's just a job.

Ugh - everyone told me this same sh*t when I started. It's all just now sinking in. Hope I haven't wasted words
Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
Chris

No words wasted. I had never sandblasted anything in my life before I bought this rig. There for my lower prices are very valuable to me because I am getting a free education from paying customers. I have no intentions to quit my full time job of 15 years. Maybe when I retire I can have a nice little part time gig like sandblasting. I take all of your experience and wisdom in this line of work and apply it to what I am doing. So never feel like you are wasting your words when you give me advice. Anyone who has more knowledge than I, is my teacher. So keep the info coming.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by killzoneq2; 06-10-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
Pro

good - you're a rarity then

one foremost suggestion I'd make (and to Plazaman) or any other sandblasters

MARKET TO THE POOL COMPANIES

Killzone/Plazaman - if I were you all - first thing I'd do tomorrow is get the number of every pool company in your state and surrounding areas. From what I understand - sandblasting is not a crowded market (like pool building is, believe it or not). 100 companies might use the same sandblasting company. That's how it is around here at least.

talk with some pool co.s in your area - something good should come of that
Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt diggler View Post
good - you're a rarity then

one foremost suggestion I'd make (and to Plazaman) or any other sandblasters

MARKET TO THE POOL COMPANIES

Killzone/Plazaman - if I were you all - first thing I'd do tomorrow is get the number of every pool company in your state and surrounding areas. From what I understand - sandblasting is not a crowded market (like pool building is, believe it or not). 100 companies might use the same sandblasting company. That's how it is around here at least.

talk with some pool co.s in your area - something good should come of that

Thanks for the Advice, i do plan on acting on it very soon. Soon as I get my rig fabricated.

Rich
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #20
MFWIC

Trade: house painter
Rewards Points: 250

Looks like you did a great job on the frame!
I'd gladly pay that much...

Sounds like you're having fun learning.

You'll do well
r