Glass Vs Coal Slag

Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Mr Blaster

Trade: Sandblasting Protective Finishes

Glass Vs Coal Slag

I have always used coal slag, but am curious what crushed glass can do. Im low on media anyway, and need to resupply, so now is the time to possibly make the switch. Give me your input on what you guys prefer, crushed glass or coal slag. Most of my work is rust removal on trailers, chasis, farm implements, and frames.

Does crushed glass strip any faster, do you use less media.... Give me the info guys.

Eric.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Trial and Error Opperator

Trade: SandBlasting/Soda Blasting

Re: Glass Vs Coal Slag

I use the glass because of the area I'm In.
Use to use Blackbeauty all the time. Maine is going Greener so I'm trying to stay on there good side.

I use the Course glass on heavy rust like Dumptrucks & heavy equipment

I find the med grade good for autos and bikes.

There has been a lot of post on crushed glass.
just need to look back through and read alot.

God luck and if you try some, I hope ya like it. (I do)

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/dyers.sodablasting
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Master Blaster!

Trade: Sandblasting and Coatings

Glass cleans faster in my opinion. We use large media for heavy steel mill scale and rust and fine glass for everything from log and cedar homes to thin sheet metal auto panels. I have used both extensivly and can say hands down that glass my media of choice. Its a much cleaner, versitile media and is readily available depending on where you are at. Buying bulk can save big.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Master Blaster!

Trade: Sandblasting and Coatings

Are the implements busy now??? I have been trying to get into the implements in my area but haven't had luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
nbjornson

Trade: Abrasive Blasting

Hello,

Actually there is many good responses on here. It really depends on the application being done. One media is better to use than another. Obviously you should never use sand. Black Beauty is a better alternative and all outdoor and blast room blasting should always be used with proper PPE equipment, i.e. respirator, CO monitor, blast suit etc.

Crushed Glass can work very well for rust scale. The amount of media you consume will always be determined by nozzle size, blast pressure, blast Hose ID size, and operator skill. The best would really be to purchase a room and bring this work indoors where Steel Grit can be used which can be used over 200 times before turning to dust. For someone using sand or black beauty which is essentially a one use media you can easily save over 25,000 dollars a year recycling. Just a thought.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Chris

Trade: SANDBLASTING

I have found that if items are going to be powder coated slag very to dirty with many impurities. My coaters like glass because it is clean and takes very little prep work before coating. I don't want the powder coaters saying that the sandblasting was done improperly. Even thought they are ultimately responsible for the product once its in their hands. We work well together and communicate our different needs to get the best results for both of us.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
Glen

Trade: Media blasting
Send a message via Yahoo to Betterblast

I used to use slag and it's filthy. Even my hands were dirty looking from being around it. I like the glass.
http://betterblast.com/
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Mr Blaster

Thanks for all the input. I got quoted $4.67 for a 50 lb bag from Marco, and have been getting coal slag (2040) for $7.97 for a 100 lbs. I think Im just going to get two pallets of medium (1040) and just experiment with it. I will be sure to let you all know how it all turned out.

As far as the ag work goes.... I finally had the opportunity to get in with the coops, after two years of bidding stuff for them. I did 25 anhydrous tanks on chasis, and a pumping station they built last summer and fall. They liked the job, and let area folks know who did the work and what I can do. I also have a 300 bushel grain wagon all painted up advertising what I do right off a highway where I live and operate. Gets alot of exposure. I also am tied into a major welding shop in town that loves having a sandblaster at their disposal, as well as a powdercoating outfit. Recently the city engineer, and streets department became aware of what I do and have done work of all sorts for them.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Glen

I checked with Marco today. They told me a little higher, about $5.55 per bag which is better than I pay now. There super sack was about fifty higher than I pay now. The big problem is their shipping was rediculous. Two super sacks were over $1,000 and one skid would be $530. I get my glass with a lift gate truck for $130 for one skid. I get two sacks at a time for $160. They are the largest supply company around. How can they not have amazing deals on shiping. Iv'e een quite happy with the newage anyway but it never hurts to see what's out there. That's how I found them. It depends a lot on how far away there fob is from your location.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #10

Glen, I have delt with marco for many years on parts (at my old Job)
when i went on my own I went with Marco because of the Service is out standing!

BUT the SHIPPING Cost SUCK. I would think that a company with that magnatude would have better, but they to are trying to make money in this economy.

there walnut shell was god price, but with shipping made it stuppid.

I shop around..

P.S. Surface tek gave a really good price + S&H (but they are closer too.)
(Glen, Thanks for the lead on the walnut, you posted it to me a while back. )

Last edited by Dyer; 01-15-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
Glen

I'm glad it helped Jim. I'm sure I'll get my next walnut from them again I'm almost out now. I think I paid about $400 for two skids last time with a lift gate. Marco wanted over $500 for the one. I like the fine grade I get from Mark anyway. I get almost 30 minutes per bag when I dial it in right.

When people start to ask questions about my equipment my standard answer is " I charge for lessons". And follow with " So tell me, what can I blast for you"? They don't need to evaluate or understand my equipment. I don't do interviews. The reason is you will always loose this game they play because you answer first then their answer will top yours and make you feel small and now you are at a disadvantage to a guy who isn't even a blaster. You say you have a 100 lb pot, he knows a guy with a 1200 lb pot. You use a 185 cfm compressor he worked at a place that had a 1400 cfm compressor and could blast the paint off of a combine in fifteen minutes. Their story will alaways make you look small time and like the reason you have to even charge them is because your equipment or experience is less than adiquate.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #12

Ya right Glen, when people start asking to many questions I shut them done quick, I don't try to get into conversations about my stuff.

I was trying to answer the other post of how to tell if some one is pricing you for there blasting shop.

its hard to tell, but I've had a few calls.

Oil companies and Gas stations do this to see what the going price is around town. there trying to do the same...
Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Mr Blaster

Well, Im officially using crushed glass now. Blasted some bumpers with the last of the slag, then added the glass to work on a 8' truck utility box. Took a little getting used too. Im using 95 psi, #4 nozzle. Did a great job overall, Im impressed. The heavy rust on the bed was the challenge, but it cleaned it off as easy if not easier than slag.

MUCH CLEANER.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #14

I find with the NEW AGE the Medium grade cleans and removes everything.

when doing a dumptruck bed with heavy rust, or a frame etc...
I use the heavy course first to remove the top rust, then switch to a med to clean to a whiter finnish.

I want to try a Med to fine on a car the next time, one of my body shop guys likes the fine finnish, just haven't had the income right now to stock the fine grade.

Glade you like the Glass. We use it all the time.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
Glen

I use the fine on restoration autos, It cleans as well as the medium just takes a little more. I often have a harder time getting it to flow consistantly. I think it is much more sensitive to moisture. It leaves a very light profile. Next time you order from new age ask them to throw a bag of fine on the skid to try it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
Mr Blaster

I think I'll get a bag of fine and also one of the course just to see the difference. I got the 1040 grade, and thought it removed the painted/light rust areas as fast or faster than slag. When I hit the bumpers and diamond plate floor that were nasty I thought it went slower than slag. I was doing this in 35 degrees, so maybe I was just freezing and time stood still... Does 90 psi and a #4 tip sound about right? Still playing around with the psi.

Tags
coal slag, crushed glass, media preference