Blasting Pool Tile

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Trade: C-53
Rewards Points: 10

Blasting Pool Tile

I have been using #10 Glass bead to clean the calcium deposit off pool tile shot at a light 40 psi. I have noticed that no matter what, there is some damage to the tile glaze. The mohs hardness of the bead is 6 or 7 depending on the source, which I assume is close to the hardness of the tile glaze. The glass beads are very effective at removing the calcium but in heavily calcified areas extended blasting inevitably etches the tile surface. Has anyone used Maxxstrip (magnesium sulphate) to remove the calcium on pool tile? I mean dry blasting with a convention pot, not wet or with a soda blasting pot. The mohs hardness is 3.5 which should be safer for the tile. Any help or advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #2

Trade: facilities maintenance

Re: Blasting Pool Tile

I do a lot of indoor pools for the county, i use a chemical process that works well, i developed over 15 years. not the answer you are looking for, BUT my customers "want" an etched surface for slip and fall resistance, because i have maintained these facilities for so many years an annual cleaning is all they need
I use acids to etch the tile. so there is no see your face mirror finish. when I am done i provide the customers with a confirmation of process that is deemed "best practices" and efforts to eliminate hazardous public areas, this filed with their insurance company reduces their liability to the degree that any plaintiff must prove negligence SO my point may be etched can be a good thing
...attached picture ... the tile was obviously dirty, but you can see the result of acid etch, gloss is gone, these pools need some grout replaced on an annual basis, but one day with a good tile guy is all it takes not the complete restoration you would expect, as a matter of fact all of the public pools had an annual 25% replacement program now i do it and in 8 years have never replaced any tile except a few broken pieces
why am I here ? to learn about blasting and re profiling concrete, slip and fall prevention anyone may be an additional source of income for you as well
Attached Thumbnails
Blasting Pool Tile-dscf2708.jpg  

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Todd

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 536

I just finished a double fountain for entrance to a big community...made of red patina'd fire glazed brick...the fountain had no water softener on it and it had calcium build up so thick that it looked like paint....I used maxxstrip to do the job...it worked great...I used 17 1/2 bags over 2days and a no.4 nozzle at 80 psi....I paid .65 lb shipped ...not cheap but it had tons of foliage around the fountain and it was all new...I didn't kill anything and the association had been trying to find a solution for 4 years...one call to me and it ended...needless to say they were very happy....also it had a black gloss tile for the water line inside the fountain...i did it as well...

Contact pool companies and offer this as a service....drop the waterline and climb in and shoot the water line...I would guess around 10 per linear foot....the maxxstrip has a flow aid in it so it makes a slick on the water but filters out and this stuff is Ayer soluble...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #4

Trade: facilities maintenance

Red glazed brick fountain
beautiful and a lot of satisfaction with this kind of work
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Kelly

Trade: Media blasting
Rewards Points: 254

I have used max strip it is recommended for pool tile blasting. It doesn't change the water like soda would but it soft like soda. I use it also on red brick houses to clean up the surface. It doesn't damage the brick as much and it isn't too dusty.

Tags
pool tile calcium