Skimstone, Interesting Stuff

Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Skimstone, Interesting Stuff

We just finished the third coat on a garage floor, we will apply the sealer tomorrow. I really liked working with this stuff, the color effects are really interesting. If this product is as durable as the company claims, i will definately use it again. check it out. G

http://

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Skimstone, Interesting Stuff

Photo one was second coat, this is the third.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Pro

IN BETWEEN

Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

You get into some pretty interesting stuff (he said, just a little jealously). I'd appreciate a finshed photo when your done.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
You get into some pretty interesting stuff (he said, just a little jealously). I'd appreciate a finshed photo when your done.

Good Luck
Dave
It is HIS Garage (He said, a little more than a little jealously)!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

neat!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Trade: American Clay and skimstone
Rewards Points: 10

the picture is beautiful. Please tell me how you did the 2nd and 3rd coat. My experience with Skimstone has not been that good. I've used the calculator on Skimstone web site but I never have enough material for 2nd and 3rd coat. Are you using full strenght color, and what substrate was your garage floor? I appreciate any help. It doesn't make sense to me for example: a first coat has 80 Cups of product but the 2nd and 3rd coats are 1/4 of he amount of product. Please I will take any tips you have. I read everything I can find, and I've talked with Skimstone. I just think I'm misunderstanding something.

Thanks
Patsy
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Wood n' concrete finishes
Rewards Points: 150

I love it too. I wish I could just do them all the time. Who needs knees?
Here's a custom-colored purple floor I did a while back. I suffered, for this floor...It looks different from the usual skimstone mottling b/c clients husband didn't like straight lines, e.g. trowel marks. !!!! I faux finished a kind of fog over the whole dang thing to soften it up. I suffered.

Tech data: Base was gypcrete. Used "rainy day" and "eggplant" mixed plus titanium white to chill it out, top-coated with a water-based urethane that they don't make any more, so sad. I can't remember exactly what the cost of the mats were, but somewhere near 1,200. (800 sq feet) We won't talk about what I actually made on this job, it wasn't much. Live and learn. I'm not happy with it's resistance to sharp objects dropped on it. It's about as soft as wood, but like wood, can be refinished. I wish it were tougher, I'd seek out more jobs like it if I trusted it.
Attached Thumbnails
Skimstone, interesting stuff-kichen-medium-.jpg   Skimstone, interesting stuff-living-2.jpg   Skimstone, interesting stuff-hall.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Brown For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (04-13-2013)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,748

We miss you Gene....
DavidC (02-03-2012), jkfox624 (02-05-2012), MALCO.New.York (02-05-2012), Tom Struble (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Pro

Gene's gone? Where'd he go? I want to know how that garage did, several years later...

@ Duncanpr....
The calculators are terrible. Trick is to order way to much. I mist the floor between coats so it's not so grabby. Not too much water, wait for it to soak in. And I did another floor before the above...and found that your second and third coat should be watery-thin. As you're scaping along, you get dry clumps built up on your trowel, I recycle them by adding a bit more of my pigmented liquid. On a really porus substrate, I used a base of concrete adhesive +as much water to block up some of the pores. On gypcrete, the skimstone really stretched. Not so much for the 2nd and 3rd coats.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #11

Trade: American Clay and skimstone
Question

Miss Brown, beautiful floor I would be so happy if I could get results like this. So, do you do your own calculation or do you use "skimstone" calculator? I know it would cost more but could you use the same calculation as the first coat with the solution but add less powder? Another question, if I were to use exactly what the Skimstone calculation gave me for 2nd and 3rd coat, once mixed can you add water or does that mess up the color? When you use more than one color is your first coat always the darker color? Sorry so many questions. What I found with two colors is the 2nd coat (if I use Skimstone calculation) the second coat just covers up the first coat and doesn't show any of the first coat. When using the same color do you lessen the strenght of color for each coat. I really appreciate your help. I've done counter top and had really good luck with countertops, but struggling with large sq footage on floors.
Thanks
Patsy
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Pro

I don't use their calculator, I buy too much, and save it for the next job. Figuring out the right mix is, sorry, intuition. I don't have any hard and fast rules about coloring of the layers, but since every layer is translucent, you'll get a completely different result is if light over dark, or dark over light. I tend towards dark over light, if I change the pigmentation at all. One trick I found was helpful for huge floors is having a helper roll a thin coat on, say 4x4, and troweling it out. I would not add water directly to the mix, because it might affect adhesion. Sometimes a wet sponge to blur out edges when you overlap is helpful. Sorry I can't weigh in on any hard and fast rules...except bid high. It's a lot of work.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
Transforming Spaces

Trade: Seamless Flooring and Garage Organization

I bet Gene's floor failed miserably...I wouldn't recommend it for a garage environment.

The Skimstone calculator is meant as a guide not a bible. We always use it and add a bit more just in case.

Here is a project we just finished with Skimstone... reconstructive surgery really, check it out (btw, over ordered 15 gals of powder and 15 glas of liquid)

Last edited by GarageandBeyond; 04-13-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageandBeyond View Post
I bet Gene's floor failed miserably...I wouldn't recommend it for a garage environment.

The Skimstone calculator is meant as a guide not a bible. We always use it and add a bit more just in case.
Gene doesn't come around anymore so can't defend that remark. With his knowledge base I seriously doubt he took a chart as a bible. Suffice it to say that he probably knows more than most self proclaimed experts.

Your's came out nice enough. Taking jabs didn't make it any better though.

Good Luck
Dave
CrpntrFrk (04-10-2012), MALCO.New.York (04-11-2012), moorewarner (04-13-2013), ohiohomedoctor (04-19-2013)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
Gene doesn't come around anymore so can't defend that remark. With his knowledge base I seriously doubt he took a chart as a bible. Suffice it to say that he probably knows more than most self proclaimed experts.

Your's came out nice enough. Taking jabs didn't make it any better though.

Good Luck
Dave
I would thank this 10 more times if I could.

When I see stuff typed out the way GarageandBeyond did, I feel you discredit yourself. Yes, maybe you know your stuff but unless you know Gene personally, you have no clue as to his or anyone's skill set.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
Transforming Spaces

Trade: Seamless Flooring and Garage Organization

Please, i'm not beating up on Gene, I just don't think that Skimstone will hold up in a garage environment. I've even asked Skimstone years ago about garage environments and they didn't recommend it.

With that being said, I've had failures of my own throughout my 10 years of biz....one just recently that I am refinishing. It's obvious it was applied as Skimstone would recommend, so the comment was meant towards his choice of environment to install it over, not in his workmanship...big difference.

@DavidC, the bible remark was directed at Duncampr, and again, it wasn't meant as a jab

Sometimes we pro's take advice from manufacturer's and end up getting screwed and if Gene took someone's advice from Skimstone, I don't think it was well served. I hope Gene would come back on and let us know the results after all these years. Again, I bet my assumption is right.

Last edited by GarageandBeyond; 04-11-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #17

Trade: general

hoping to dig up some experienced uses from this old thread - has anyone used skimstone in a vertical application - specifically a tall cement fireplace. How does it mask/cover hairline cement cracks. Client wants a colored smooth cement fireplace. This seems like it will do the trick but worry about how it looks if/when the concrete underneath settles - Can you fill cracks by skimming more color coat?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Painter/Remodeler/Funnyman
Rewards Points: 75

Very nice!! Never used it, but renovating my basement. May use this....