Green Dumpsters

Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Sharp Improvements

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

Green Dumpsters

I was watching This Old House last week and they are renovating a house in Texas the green way. One thing I saw that was interesting was the trash. They filled a 30 cubic yard dumpster and a company picked it up for only $75 rather than $300 then had crew sort it all out then sold all the material accordingly. The wood still had nails but was mulched up and seperated with a magnet. The list goes on and on what they did. Does anyone else know about this practice? If so, where are these operations? It's a great idea, saves space in the landfill and saves some green for our pockets!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Re: Green Dumpsters

I think it's awesome that people are doing it, but I haven't seen any around here yet. No one can find the $ in it yet. I have talked with one recycling company here that won't dabble in it yet because the money is not there.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Sharp Improvements

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

I did a little research on this old house website. The project was in Austin Texas. If any of you Texans want to try them here is the info I gathered. Im sure anyone else can contact them to get info where else these types of services are. Waste Processing Services
Contractor:
Texas Disposal Systems
12200 Carl Road
Creedmoor, Texas 78610-2184
tel. (800) 375-8375
www.texasdisposal.com

Recycling Services Janitorial & Custodial Services Janitorial & Custodial Services
Contractor:
Triad Building Maintenance
2938 E 12th St
Austin, TX 78702-2402
tel. 512-385-1189
Old 03-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,290

That company used to have a place next door to us. They would haul in and sort to sell, then haul the trash to the dump. Maybe one trash dumpster for evey 10 incoming. They make money.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
LC

Trade: Building
Rewards Points: 312

Mate, I haven't watched This Ol House for ages. Are they still making new shows? I watch it on cable from the States.

Here in Australia there are companys that hire out the Skip Bins for builders to dump their rubbish in on site. The crowd we deal with asks you when ordering what you are putting into the bin. If you put in clean material such as 'just concrete/masonry' or 'just timber' then it saves you money. They end up sorting out the rubbish and they recycle it. Australia is becoming big (huge) on recycling materials and household waste such as plastic containers etc. If you mix up your building rubbish with timber/ bricks/ plasterboard and all crap then you end up paying more for the service.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

garbage talk

#1. I use to use a dump in Taunton MA that had a conveyor belt that would move garbage past humans that would sort it. Not sure if they were picking through all of the stuff or just metals. I believe that Waste Management operated the dump if you want info. I just thought it was neat that someone could actually sort garbage all day and make money.

#2 Our town pays the same to get rid of our recycled trash as we do for household trash. If we had a way of sorting the recycled stuff we could make money on most of it.

#3 Dump fee's, transfer station $95 a ton, landfill $65 a ton. Our landfill charges for us to get rid of cardboard even though most places will pay you money for it.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
That company used to have a place next door to us. They would haul in and sort to sell, then haul the trash to the dump. Maybe one trash dumpster for evey 10 incoming. They make money.

Hey bricky, what are you doing over here?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
garbage talk

#3 Dump fee's, transfer station $95 a ton, landfill $65 a ton. Our landfill charges for us to get rid of cardboard even though most places will pay you money for it.
Tip- if you have a local paper recycling processing plant, you can dump your cardboard for free at their plant. The local one here in Minneapolis/St. Paul is the Rock-Tenn plant near hwy 280.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 502

I've asked the local hauling companies to provide me with multiple bin dumpsters and I'll even guarentee keeping the stuff spereated for them, no one is stepping up yet.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #10

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 10

This place just opened up in Tallahassee. It is absolutely cool.

Do a google search for marpan recycling.

The kicker...it's cheaper to dump here than the landfill.
Automatic points toward my green home certification.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #11

Trade: Dumpsters & Waste Containers
Rewards Points: 10

I have heard of several companies doing this across the US. Some companies will take certain recyclable material like metal and discount you're dumpster after they separate by the sell price they get for it (with a little margin added for their time and effort obviously).

It's almost like companies have realized the value in dumpster diving. It's a good system but like someone mentioned the money just isn't there for certain materials in areas. Here's hoping that changes.

Advertisement