Stucco Over Old Asbestos Siding.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Design/Build

Trade: residential contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Stucco Over Old Asbestos Siding.

Has anyone out there ever heard of applying a traditional stucco with metal lath over the old asbestos siding. The idea sounds good to me and I would like to offer it to a client of mine. Any comments ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Estimating
Rewards Points: 776

Re: Stucco Over Old Asbestos Siding.

How will you fasten the metal lathe?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Design/Build

Trade: residential contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Plan on using 1.5 in. lath screws or even longer galvanized. Would want to get attachement into framing. May need to pre-drill.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,342

I could lathe playdough sure, question is would it be a good idea? Masons messing with asbestos doesnt sound like something coming from the smart department.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,474

Have you ever driven any fastener into old asbestos siding? It will crack, shatter, and leave a bulge under the lath. Remove it and have peace of mind knowing you have a solid flat substrate behind with proper house warp and flashing.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyze View Post
Have you ever driven any fastener into old asbestos siding? It will crack, shatter, and leave a bulge under the lath. Remove it and have peace of mind knowing you have a solid flat substrate behind with proper house warp and flashing.
Totally agree shatter , crack , bulge. Alot of siding jobs i did over those tiles.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,518

I have installed siding over those without problem, One thing you remove it that is abatematewhich requires proper training and license to do. Home owner can remove (at least here) but I can't.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 716

Remove!

or

Have removed.

D.

fb
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Aureli Construction

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Removing would be best, but it has been done and is still being done. I see no problem with it. If there is a bulge, just hammer it. You may want to wear the proper equipment when working with asbestos.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 1,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmorical View Post
Plan on using 1.5 in. lath screws or even longer galvanized. Would want to get attachement into framing. May need to pre-drill.
Won't that cause asbestos dust?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 1,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by aureliconstruct View Post
I see no problem with it. If there is a bulge, just hammer it. You may want to wear the proper equipment when working with asbestos.
Wow, giving advice about asbestos isn't your main day job, is it?

That is throughly a lack luster response on your part
Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Won't that cause asbestos dust?
I believe banging nails into it and breaking it also releases dust.

IMHO removal, by pulling individual nails and shingles, is the only option.

Check with AHJ in your area, as Randy said, you may need abatement company.
Here it is also, only the HO, in fact, they can throw loose shingles right in the trash. Abatement company must double bag, tape and dispose of in an approved site.

Good luck,
D.

fb
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Mad Italian

Trade: Licensed Mason/Owner of small business
Rewards Points: 2,004
Send a message via Skype™ to TheItalian204

I think you have to remove it...besides the fact that you wont be able to drive a nail into it properly and your stucco wont have proper life span,its dangerous for you,your workers and customer and uncessary liability that you will carry with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Master View Post
I hate when a profitable job becomes a charitable write off.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 508

the job i am currently on has asbestos shingles on part of the original house.We tried using an air stapler,but most of them bent and didnt attach to anything.We then tried using an 8 penny nailer.This to didnt work as the nail went thru the shingle and lath.We ended up using a screw gun and small washers to attach the lath.This works out great.
I personally am not afraid of what little asbestos dust would be freed by breaking these shingles.With all the old building around this country chocked full of asbestos,and you know its not all going to be contained,Im sure we breath in more than what would be produced here.Besides we as masons inhale pounds of brick dust,cement and other things everyday on the job.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Any modification to Asbestos siding, if I recall, requires Abatement.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 3,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
the job i am currently on has asbestos shingles on part of the original house.We tried using an air stapler,but most of them bent and didnt attach to anything.We then tried using an 8 penny nailer.This to didnt work as the nail went thru the shingle and lath.We ended up using a screw gun and small washers to attach the lath.This works out great.
I personally am not afraid of what little asbestos dust would be freed by breaking these shingles.With all the old building around this country chocked full of asbestos,and you know its not all going to be contained,Im sure we breath in more than what would be produced here.Besides we as masons inhale pounds of brick dust,cement and other things everyday on the job.

When Asbestos was first being deemed carcinegenic a study was done on the miners in Asbestos Quebec. There was a much higher rate of lung cancer than the statistical average. Anyone here ever been to a small town in Quebec and seen how many cigarette smokers there are. Everyone. Especially in the '60's and '70's.

When I was younger i worked with a carpenter and we did a lot of insurance restoration. I wasn't around when this happened but he was on a job at a school that had flood damage. In the course of the job asbestos was discovered and had to be removed. Everything was sealed off, and the workers went in with hepa filter masks and body suits. He said he could see that once the workers were behind the plastic barrier they all took their masks off and went to work.

I'm not saying that asbestos won't kill you cause I really don't know and of course you should follow whatever the law is but....
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Stone Masonry
Rewards Points: 156

My 2c is about how you can approach it. I advocate an inspection prior to moving forward. However, if you wish not to do so, there's two things to consider. Is it damaged or in tact. Apparently, asbestos can remain in tact when it's in a application state and providing itself useful.

Even if it's minimal, I believe you will be tampering with it and PPE(Personal Protection Equipment) is no joke here. Asbestos I read can be found in the ground as well for instance, the word itself means inextinguishable. IMO the kiln clay particles from a brick are a walk in the park vs. any asbestos fiber exposure.

I would play it safe. I read any exposure more than the size of your hand deems it a minor repair no longer. Unintended hazards for the HO, crew, or oneself seems a little delicate. Mind you, I have no training in asbestos- I'm just talkin'
Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Stone Masonry
Rewards Points: 156

Yeah, Dom-mas when you mentioned the eskimos I went and looked up some asbestos stuff as well. When I was about 7 I lived outside Philly at my Grandfathers. He was renting then. In the basement I remember my parents kept a lot of their stuff, they were young and mooching. My dad made Rc, and motor boats with the little plane motors. I would go down there too. Anyhow it got condemned for asbestos and is back now. We lost our stuff, like a little jean jacket my G-pa gave me with his army pins after he retired.

OP might not need a full on abatement team and force the HO into an expensive removal. I am also against regulations and bureaucracy. I do think having an experienced asbestos guy/girl should definitely share their expertise with OP.

Avoid it like the plague dude.

Last edited by JD3lta; 02-16-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,552

Some things can hang around and haunt you for years, some until your estate is settled. Why get into one? Find the proper authority in your state, ask in writing and get a response in writing. Don't work on this outside your clear legal authority. The HO, and neighbors are taking note.