Water Smells Like Sewer Gas

Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: septic installer, site work
Rewards Points: 150

Water Smells Like Sewer Gas

I have a spring, in an abandonded pasture it is about 100 years old. The spring is in 2 4' well tiles with black plastic pipe 1" leading to my house. There is a screen and check valve on the end. I dug around it and made sure that there is no groundwater getting in, popped the top and found nothing dead. The waterline comes into the house and into a jet pump, thru a 5 micron filter and through a UV light. I have never had any problems other then blowing through the filters too often. Lately the water smells bad, like sewer, hot and cold water. I thought maybe it was a drain but I checked all of those. I shocked the house pipes twice and both times when I pulled the filter there were white growths on the filter. I plan on getting it tested tomorrow. The only variables is an up-flushing toilet installed 2 months ago. Also shocking the spring tomorrow. Could there be stuff growing in my pipe leading into the house?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
John

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,330

Re: Water Smells Like Sewer Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyute65045 View Post
... Could there be stuff growing in my pipe leading into the house?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
John

Yes. You didn't say if after shocking the pipes if it helped.

Testing is a good idea. This could be caused by a bacteria growing in your water pipes. It may take shocking the system several times. Don't forget to shock your water heater.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyute65045 View Post
I have a spring, in an abandonded pasture it is about 100 years old. The spring is in 2 4' well tiles with black plastic pipe 1" leading to my house. There is a screen and check valve on the end. I dug around it and made sure that there is no groundwater getting in, popped the top and found nothing dead. The waterline comes into the house and into a jet pump, thru a 5 micron filter and through a UV light. I have never had any problems other then blowing through the filters too often. Lately the water smells bad, like sewer, hot and cold water. I thought maybe it was a drain but I checked all of those. I shocked the house pipes twice and both times when I pulled the filter there were white growths on the filter. I plan on getting it tested tomorrow. The only variables is an up-flushing toilet installed 2 months ago. Also shocking the spring tomorrow. Could there be stuff growing in my pipe leading into the house?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
John
Boy John, I've done a lot of crazy things with funky applications and I'm still not sure what to tell you. You did the smart thing and are having it tested. Please report back with the test results, I would like to know what's going on.

I don't think it would be raw sewage but without looking at it that's a crap shoot of an answer.

Bacteria can sometimes grow pretty bad but normally it doesn't smell like sewage. One thing for sure, buy your drinking water until you get it tested.

It makes me wonder if that spring isn't tied into some other area near by. Have you had any recent building go up? A neighbor digging something or dumping something? I doubt that's it because springs can be really deep, just raising some questions.

Mike
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,484

Your septic is leaching into your drinking water.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: ooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpider View Post
Your septic is leaching into your drinking water.
Don't ya think a spring is pretty deep for that? It could be.

Did you notice his trade in his title.

Mike
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 502

We have a lot of Sulfur gas in our wells and springs here, but it smells more like rotten eggs. I have one friend that can light it on fire when it comes out of his sink.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

If he was out here instead of Vermont I'd ask him if there are any new oil wells drilled nearby. In the West some of this stuff they are doing with the new drilling methods of fracking are causing major drinking water issues and this is just the beginning of the mess to come.

I wouldn't assume anything about his spring in regard to being deep or shallow unless more is known, that spring could rise up shallow a mile away, drop back down, go lateral, come back up, drop again... who knows. When I was a kid, you trusted spring water more than the city water, thats switching around now. There are too many things happening now effecting ground water. The days of spring water being considered pure, safe, best quality water are not true anymore.

I hope you post the test results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (11-24-2010), jkfox624 (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
If he was out here instead of Vermont I'd ask him if there are any new oil wells drilled nearby. In the West some of this stuff they are doing with the new drilling methods of fracking are causing major drinking water issues and this is just the beginning of the mess to come.

I wouldn't assume anything about his spring in regard to being deep or shallow unless more is known, that spring could rise up shallow a mile away, drop back down, go lateral, come back up, drop again... who knows. When I was a kid, you trusted spring water more than the city water, thats switching around now. There are too many things happening now effecting ground water. The days of spring water being considered pure, safe, best quality water are not true anymore.

I hope you post the test results.
PA is just starting this issue with natural gas drilling. One guy lets them drill on his land and the neighbors wells get screwed up.

I would check around the area. Might be a neighbor has overflowing septic that is eventually joining up with this spring.
No way would I trust a spring for my water. I think you should look into having a proper well put in.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,160

i agree with mike finley. hopefully vermont is a bit more ecologically aware than some of the states allowing hydraulic fracturing, pretty nasty stuff. it was the first thing i thought of when i saw this post. hopefully you can't light your water on fire.
skip to 2:20 to see that trick:
Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 3,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
i agree with mike finley. hopefully vermont is a bit more ecologically aware than some of the states allowing hydraulic fracturing, pretty nasty stuff. it was the first thing i thought of when i saw this post. hopefully you can't light your water on fire.
skip to 2:20 to see that trick:

Holy Crap....... Fire water.

Must be a bad thing to use to put out a fire.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Our well is a spring fed dug well about 14' deep. Once in a while a critter will get in and smell it up good. I have to shock the well and let the water run in the house until I smell chlorine at every tap and appliance. Inconvenient but effective.

A couple of years back a public water line ran through the area and most neighbors stopped using their wells. Our water table rose slightly and now I get an odor after a couple days of heavy rain. No critters so I am guessing it's ground water contamination. It will clear up on it's own if I don't shock it.

BTW, we do buy all of our drinking water.

Not related, but I still find it odd about my well. It is 14' deep to the bottom with about 5-6' of water normally and is located at the top of the river bank. The normal river level is 16-18'. It just seems like the well should empty into the river.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

had a bad anode rod in a water heater once, water smelled like sewer ... can't remember if it was just the hot water or both hot and cold ... at that time AO Smith had a recall because of the problem ... might be worth investigating