Water Leak Sensor For Vacation Rental

Old 09-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 12

Water Leak Sensor For Vacation Rental

I am managing a few vacation rentals and want to monitor them without much effort. I have local resources to help out if needed, but trying to minimize calling on them. There is wifi router shared between the two properties on the same lot.

Has anyone used a water leak sensor to monitor for plumbing damage? If so, what has been your experience? There are a few obvious places to put them, such as near the hot water pump, faucets, and toilets but I'm not sure the pros/cons.

I also found a system that detects drain blockage that could be useful for preventative maintenance, but haven't found many people using it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 726

Re: Water Leak Sensor For Vacation Rental

Yup.

I bought this last year to set on the floor next to my oil fired boiler for heat and hot water.

The copper springs pin-hole leaks and if I don't go down in the basement for a day, I've got a real mess.

Simple to set up and extremely sensitive.

It comes with phone cable of I think 12' but you can increase that to whatever length you need. A 18" sensor connects to the phone cable and is placed wherever you need it.

To test it, I just touched my finger to my tongue and then touched the sensor and the notification on my phone was instant.

You can hook up as many as needed...just name them different names.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,188

I use the GRI ones and connect them to an alarm system. I've also used Water Bug and Lyric.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
Yup.

I bought this last year to set on the floor next to my oil fired boiler for heat and hot water.

The copper springs pin-hole leaks and if I don't go down in the basement for a day, I've got a real mess.

Simple to set up and extremely sensitive.

It comes with phone cable of I think 12' but you can increase that to whatever length you need. A 18" sensor connects to the phone cable and is placed wherever you need it.

To test it, I just touched my finger to my tongue and then touched the sensor and the notification on my phone was instant.

You can hook up as many as needed...just name them different names.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! That looks pretty helpful. I'm probably grab a handful for all of the pluming "hot spots".

Are these sensors pretty dependable? Will they last 12-24 months or will I need to replace regularly? The internet is usually pretty good so I shouldn't have to worry about it going down too much.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 AM   #5
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_242 View Post
Thanks! That looks pretty helpful. I'm probably grab a handful for all of the pluming "hot spots".

Are these sensors pretty dependable? Will they last 12-24 months or will I need to replace regularly? The internet is usually pretty good so I shouldn't have to worry about it going down too much.
I don't think there is anything to wear out so as long as you have a wifi connection in the location, it should last a long time.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Trade: Cabinetmaker / Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 44

I use Lyric in my rental. I haven't had it go off other than manually testing it. It appears to always be connected when I log on to it (unlike my thermostats). It tell me the temperature and humidity, so I have to assume it is working. I'd buy another.

Advertisement

Last edited by climb; 09-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.