Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Water heater - on demand or tanked?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rex 
#1 ·
Hello all and thank you for all the help in the past from just searching your site.

I am installing a kohler dtv shower system in a bathroom remodel. there are a total of 10 shower heads so my calculations are telling me I will be using the full flow of the K-682 six-port Thermostatic Valve which is 21 GPM. plus a faucet or appliance may be used at the same time. The home is only occupied by a couple in the 50's but it being a 4 bedroom house with 1 other full bath and 1 half bath I want to make sure I figure this for a family for down the road.

I Know most of you will tell me to talk to my plumber or the rep from the supply house. The problem with this is I like to know all my options and everyone I am talking to has a way they like to do it and won't think outside the box with me.

My home owners have approached me about installing a on demand water heater. I told them we would probably need at least 3 to achieve that high of flow which will cost a pretty penny. They are not at all concerned with cost of operation they just want to make sure they can use the shower for more than a few minutes.

What are your thoughts on what type of water heater I should go with. Would it be stupid to combine a on demand water heater to precondition the water as it goes into a 80 gallon tanked water heater? Would this extend the hot water enough to make it worth the cost or should I just install multiple tanked water heaters.

Again the homeowners are not concerned with operation cost but do not want to through 10 grand into a 3 unit on demand set up.

This is located in Omaha NE. I tried to do some research on water temps for winter coming into the house but could not find a exact answer. I am assuming it is around 50 degrees from charts I have seen. I also assume I do not have to size the heaters for the entire 21 GPM flow as part will be coming from the cold supply.

Water heater is located in basement with limited access to outside wall space. I will have to be using a powered vent on demand unit, or the existing flew that is installed for the 50 gallon heater

Thank you in advance for your help

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.