Wall Switch For Inline Whirlpool Heater

Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #1

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4

Wall Switch For Inline Whirlpool Heater

Homeowner custom ordered a whirlpool tub with a built-in in-line heater. It heats the water to a 104 degrees - that is preset from the factory and not adjustable.

I can't imagine they would always want the water that hot. I'm going to suggest that we add a wall switch to turn the heater on and off. Once the tub is installed, the access panel will be tiled in place so its going to require cutting out the grout to get access to the tub. The outlet for the heater is wired to a GFCI breaker in the main panel.

Have you ever wired one of these heaters on a wall switch? I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 162

Re: Wall Switch For Inline Whirlpool Heater

Sure, it would work. But do you want the liability of what could happen when the homeowner's sitting in the water and reaches up to flip that switch?

Most of those heaters only run while the pump is running. If it's getting too warm, just shut the pump off and soak for a while.

I'd also recommend against sealing that access panel. If the unit needs service (and they all do sooner or later), you are building in extra time and money to accomplish that.

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the switch would be beyond reach from inside the tub. I assumed it would either be on or off for the duration of their bath. I mainly was wondering if anyone else had run into this situation and elected to add a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Sure, it would work. But do you want the liability of what could happen when the homeowner's sitting in the water and reaches up to flip that switch?

Most of those heaters only run while the pump is running. If it's getting too warm, just shut the pump off and soak for a while.

I'd also recommend against sealing that access panel. If the unit needs service (and they all do sooner or later), you are building in extra time and money to accomplish that.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,626

In order for the thermostat to work it needs to know the temperature of the water, unless it's timer of some kind. Customer ordered a non adjustable heater, why get involved? I sure wouldn't.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
In order for the thermostat to work it needs to know the temperature of the water, unless it's timer of some kind. Customer ordered a non adjustable heater, why get involved? I sure wouldn't.
It's possible that the water in the tubes will be maintened at the set temp, and they don't want to heat it. That may throw off how well the tub heating system works, but,...

I don't think the op is putting themselves out by wring a wall switch, as long as it done up to code. But, one may want to make sure the switch doesn't effect how well the tub gets heated.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,626

I don't understand why it doesn't have a switch anyway. Is it always heated? I'll stick with the ole water heater method.

Advertisement