Under Slab Rough In

Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Valley Springs,ca

Trade: General and Landscape contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Under Slab Rough In

How do all the plumbers here rough in their toilets under slab. Do you set you closet flange or stub a pipe and set closet flange later. I was taught to set flange first. It has always worked but I'm thinking that setting after the pour would be easier for finishing and leave a cleaner installation. If you just stub a pipe up how do you cut it to the correct height once the concrete is poured. Thanks for the input.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #2

Trade: Fire Protection & Plumbing
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Under Slab Rough In

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartin
How do all the plumbers here rough in their toilets under slab. Do you set you closet flange or stub a pipe and set closet flange later. I was taught to set flange first. It has always worked but I'm thinking that setting after the pour would be easier for finishing and leave a cleaner installation. If you just stub a pipe up how do you cut it to the correct height once the concrete is poured. Thanks for the input.
This is a good question that has led to many fights between me and the masons.
This is my first time on site, and do not know if you do mostly residential or commercial. The following is what I do.
(1) If spec's call for general trades to box out the area, make sure they do, no matter what happens. If this is not in the spec's, you can do two things. First, take a chance and rough it on the money. But then you are chopping.
I install 2" thick insulation around every slab penetration. During the pour, I stand next to the Super, and take pictures of every piped kicked during the pour. But every job is a little different.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Valley Springs,ca

Trade: General and Landscape contractor
Rewards Points: 75

All my stuff is residential. I build about one spec house a year so I don't get a ton of practice. I am also landscape contractor so the pipe fitting is no problem. Just trying to get a cleaner base for the toilet.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #4

Trade: General Contractor

Stub a 4" pipe. Wrap some foam insulation around the pipe, and duct tape it in place. After pour trim pipe flush, you may have to chip a little concrete away near the pipe. Use a flange that fits inside the 4" pipe, move quickly when installing flange. I've only done it a few times, but that's what I did.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
LLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Trade: LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

It is really simple I have rough-in tons of houses.The rough before finish wall should be around 12 1/2 to 13 in of non finish wall.The 4 inch pipe should be 4 inch above concrete grade.Just do this after poor > cut the flange flush to the slab and glue the flange in pipe.This will make it very easy joust mark the center of the wall on both side of 4 in pipe then make certain that the holes for closet bolts are in line with center marks.To easy like butter
Old 02-23-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
Plumber

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 250

Plumb it right is right on the money, thats the only way i've ever rough one in..

Try to send these jobs overseas!!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
LLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Thanks Mr Plumber .Call me >Leak'y Plumbing >My logo . If you do not have a leak before I leave you're house will.I warranty my leak for a year.LOL
BACKWOODS PLUMBING > WE ARE CERTAIN TO BACK YOU UP
Old 02-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
LLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Thanks Mr Plumber .Call me >Leak'y Plumbing >My logo . If you do not have a leak before I leave you're house you will.I warranty my leak for a year.LOL
BACKWOODS PLUMBING > WE ARE CERTAIN TO BACK YOU UP

Advertisement