South Coast Equipment Sewer Cameras?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: hjrafiuoashfed
Rewards Points: 500

South Coast Equipment Sewer Cameras?

Anyone hear of them or have their equipment? I'm looking to buy a 100' (or 150') sewer camera set-up and digital locator. They will sell it for $4200.00 out the door.

That's big bucks for a piece of equipment that will be used infrequently.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 150

Re: South Coast Equipment Sewer Cameras?

never heard of them. Looked it up on google. Looks like they sell on Ebay. Go to their feedback and contact some of their previous buyers and ask how it is working. I seem to recall doing this years ago.
Think about warranty, service, and longevity. I wound up getting a ridgid compact.

Last edited by gitnerdun; 11-26-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,382

I have never heard of that brand, we rent Ridgids on the rare occasion that we need one.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: hjrafiuoashfed
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnerdun View Post
never heard of them. Looked it up on google. Looks like they sell on Ebay. Go to their feedback and contact some of their previous buyers and ask how it is working. I seem to recall doing this years ago.
Think about warranty, service, and longevity. I wound up getting a ridgid compact.
Ridgid quoted me $6847.00 for a See Snake Plus (200', 3/8th), a b&w 10" monitor (no vcr, I'll plug in a cd burner) and the NaviTrack Scout locator.

Is that a good price?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,382

Do you have a tool supply that rents Ridgid tools in your area? Not a rental place, an actual supplier that sells, repairs, and rents Ridgid tools. If so contact them, six years ago I worked for a service shop, we bought the complete setup, with recorder, and locator used for 4500.00, with a two year warranty. Granted it was six years ago, but even if it is twenty percent higher, it is a better deal than new.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...01000_200-1-11 $299 solution that might not work. I was looking at one of these today for fishing/finding lost stuff in the water.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty Truck View Post
Ridgid quoted me $6847.00 for a See Snake Plus (200', 3/8th), a b&w 10" monitor (no vcr, I'll plug in a cd burner) and the NaviTrack Scout locator.

Is that a good price?
I think that is about what I have in my 100' camera with a General locator. I have tried a CD burner. That is tricky. The burner did not accept the output from the camera. I am far from a tech kinda guy. I'm sure there is a way.

Last edited by gitnerdun; 11-27-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #8

Trade: plumbing contractor
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

I am a plumbing contractor in los angeles and i thought i would save alot of money by buying cameras from south coast, i own 9 rigid cameras and there pricey so i wanted to give these people a shot....oh my god i dished out 7k for 2 cameras and they fell apart very easy ,we were never able to use them .Thats why they dont give a warranty. Your better off going to Toys are us and buying a camera.If not stick with rigids, there the best!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #9

Trade: Water/sewer line maintenance and repair

Hi there, found this forum because I was looking at a South Coast camera system, or whatever else is available in a 'best bang for the buck' camera. While Ridgid is a long time, well defined name in the industry, I do not believe they actually produce their own camera system. I have a Rycom locater currently and I have some need for a camera. I own a mobile home park and maintain all my own water and sewer lines. Also, I live in a small town where the only other access to any 'hi tech' equipment is the municipality. I do line repairs and maintenance for private outfits as well as my own park. I do sewer flushing, line locating, and line excavation. A camera would be a great asset, but I can not necessarily justify a premium price. South Coast Equipment seems to have quite an extensive selection of equipment and advertise 'made in USA'. Has the experience with this equipment been very recent? I want a camera system with at least a 200' reach, a built in sonde, and would prefer self leveling. Any recomendations?
Thanks
Darwin
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Drainage, Waterproofing & Sewer Contractor
Rewards Points: 172

Ridgid does in fact not make the camera they sell but it is their camera system they bought out the rights to it. The Ridgid system is the best dependable sytsem you can buy. You get what you pay for, remember the reason for viewing most drains is because there is a problem, problems are usually in old sewers with build up,seperations, objects. So once you get that camera in there you need to be able to push it! I have heard the General Pipe gator cam is pretty good but not as good. Buy the ridgid and don't look back.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #11

Smile

Go to hathorncorp.com they make a excelent system that is very hard to break.I have two and one has 69,000 feet pushed on it and still working strong
Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Plumber/Mechanical

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 25

SOUTH COAST EQUIP IS CRAP!!!!!

Just High dollar Junk
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa West View Post
SOUTH COAST EQUIP IS CRAP!!!!!

Just High dollar Junk
please throw me a hint , thinking about bying me a sewer cam, from south coast, tell me your bad experience please, greattly apreciate that. thnx Edwin
Old 05-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty Truck View Post
Anyone hear of them or have their equipment? I'm looking to buy a 100' (or 150') sewer camera set-up and digital locator. They will sell it for $4200.00 out the door.

That's big bucks for a piece of equipment that will be used infrequently.
so far its been working ok,, but dont know for how long though, i've been getting freaked out, with some comments of some plumbers , that are saying horroble things about those cams, now im starting to worry, dont wanna see my money going to the trash, . of not bying me the right equipment or brand. but ill find out what happen with mine cam from these people.. Edwin
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanplumber View Post
so far its been working ok,, but dont know for how long though, i've been getting freaked out, with some comments of some plumbers , that are saying horroble things about those cams, now im starting to worry, dont wanna see my money going to the trash, . of not bying me the right equipment or brand. but ill find out what happen with mine cam from these people.. Edwin
Hi Edwin, lets talk about what you want to do with the camera first. How much sewer work do you do? What types of customers do you have?......do you also do commercial service?

A camera is a big decision and you really want to find the correct fit for your business. I can share my experiences with you but first need to know a little about your business and how much work you do in his area.

A camera is great at finding problems in the sewer line but it's also great to help you retrieve broken sewer cable........it happens to all of us eventually. I've always been a big fan of ridgid tools but currently other companies are making some real nice units. It depends on frequency and how much sewer work you do or if you plan on shifting your service business to pick up more of this kind of work.

Most companies make decent cameras but each product is different and fits a different business dynamic.

A camera is a large investment for your business so you really want to research your needs before making that decision. Your budget is also a factor.

Mike
Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #16

thanks Mike, I dont do inspections so frequently, but i do on and off, if you know what part of a camera sistem unit fails most of the time on South coast cameras? and besides Ridgid cams, what other brand you could recommend?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #17

is it true the south coast cams are the worst???
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #18

Trade: plumbing

I purchased 2 sewer cameras from South Coast for $8,400.00, several years ago and they never worked properly. I was told by Sue who is a manager there that they had an employee who was going to get fired deliberately damaged several of their cameras. Both of the cameras that I purchased were faulty. I had returned them for repair several times, but they didn't fix them. It has been a year and a half since i dropped them off and i haven't received them back. I was told by the owner Nick, that they couldn't find them because their warehouse is so enormous. They don't return any of my phone calls and refuse to provide me with new equipment or return my money. I hope that you don't buy anything from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to liampalacio For This Useful Post:
epox (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #19

Trade: Plumbing contractor

Unless you like tossing money into the wind. They are crap and I mean crap. From the git go you will be disapointed. I bought a new one 2 years ago. Hardly used it due to so many problems and being sent for repair. Seriously it looks brand new. The whole thing has been back to repair twice, the camera head 3 times and still not right. I stopped pushing the sewer cam and had it in storage. Thursday nite I had a call from a desperate customer so I brought it in. Set it up, the laptop program had to be reset but all looked fine exept for the haloed picture which they can't seem to fix but feed me the biggest bunch of crap. Next morning I get up early to check it before I leave and sure enough. It was down again. Nothing lights up. Nothing. It's died setting in my living room. I give up. They have a USER ERROR FAULT warranty which simply means NO WARRANTY.
I'm ordering a VU-RITE tomorrow morning. The reviews on them is incredible and comparable to ridgid but way less.