Source For Smoke Bombs???

Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #1

Trade: Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Source For Smoke Bombs???

I need to smoke a vent to find a sewer smell in a ladies house, she had a remodel done about 4 years ago and in the last 6 months developed a sewer smell in the basement beneath the remodel (an opening in the closet is letting the smell in i'm sure) I replaced the wax ring as a precautionary but it still stinks, so... i want to smoke the vents and see if we can find it that way so we aren't tearing up her walls for nothing. I don't think it has to do with HVAC because the smell is localized, Sooo do you guys know where i can get some smoke bombs/machine that won't catch anything on fire, and help me with this. TIA
Rob

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Source For Smoke Bombs???

If you can't find the smoke bombs now about........

Pulling traps, capping lines, pull toilets, pluging them, and plugging tub, fill woth water, do a test on the system just as you would in a top out.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tool rental and party supply rental stores rent smoke generators. Just rang up my rental store just now, and they're 15 dollars a day. They're intended for haloween special effects and dance floor special effects. I know it would do a fine job for what you need. I used one several years back to diagnose a "cold spot" in an office building. I pumped a little smoke from the machine to see how the airflow was. Acutal "smoke bombs" are sold at HVAC supply houses to diagnose heat exchanger holes. They only last a minute or two, and might not be long enough for you to run around and look for your leak. The smoke machine from the rental has a tiny blower, so it would sorta somewhat pressurize your like to declare the leak better or quicker.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 AM   #4

Trade: Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Tool rental and party supply rental stores rent smoke generators. Just rang up my rental store just now, and they're 15 dollars a day. They're intended for haloween special effects and dance floor special effects. I know it would do a fine job for what you need. I used one several years back to diagnose a "cold spot" in an office building. I pumped a little smoke from the machine to see how the airflow was. Acutal "smoke bombs" are sold at HVAC supply houses to diagnose heat exchanger holes. They only last a minute or two, and might not be long enough for you to run around and look for your leak. The smoke machine from the rental has a tiny blower, so it would sorta somewhat pressurize your like to declare the leak better or quicker.
Thanks, i'll check in the morning, i though it might be a bit tough smoking the vent with a smoke bomb, the smoke machine is definitely the way to go...