Slab On Grade Curbless Shower

Old 09-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Trade: Cabinetmaker / Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 42

Slab On Grade Curbless Shower

What is the best way to do a 48" x 48" curbless (zero entry) shower with a slab on grade? One wall of the shower will be on an exterior wall. Plumbing wall is interior. I'm thinking about a few different approaches:

1. Our the slab with a 49"x49""2" piece of foam in the slab, then pull it out after the concrete hardens. This will create a recess in the concrete. Then I can set a shower basin OR fill, slope and tile after the walls are up.

2. Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should just have the concrete guys slope the floor to the drain and tile it. Would code require a trench drain this way?

I am planning on using Kohler Choreograph Shower walls (solid surface type wall panels).

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 772

Re: Slab On Grade Curbless Shower

If you recess the slab with the foam sheet, make certain to also recess the subgrade so you maintain the proper slab thickness.

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 654

Just form it with a 2" form and pour it. I wouldn't trust most concrete guys to get the slope correct, but if you have a REALLY good guy, then go for it.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

Trade: Cabinetmaker / Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Johnson View Post
Just form it with a 2" form and pour it. I wouldn't trust most concrete guys to get the slope correct, but if you have a REALLY good guy, then go for it.
That's what worries me. These guys are ok, but...