Shower Body Spray Questions

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Shower Body Spray Questions

Hey Guys,

This is not my trade as I enjoy getting "shocked" but need some answers hopefully taken care of by the knowledgeable people on here.

I am in the middle of another bathroom reno and would like to get informed on how my shower is going to work out.
I have not spoken to a plumber as of yet but would like to understand what is going on prior to doing so.
My new shower area is going to be 5' 6 x 40" and will consist of 4 kholer water tiles alongside a hand wand and a ceiling shower head as well.
Now I was originally told I have to upgrade drainage to 2" and water lines to 3/4 from a friend + the water tiles need to be run in a loop system?. I am cool with this but here is where the questions lie.
Will I have sufficient pressure with 3/4" lines to run all 4 wall tiles at once?I am hearing conflicting stories from different people saying that initial pressure will be good then it will die off if I use 3/4???
Each wall tile shells out 2.5gpm (2.5 x 4 = 10gpm) and the ceiling shower head spits out 10gpm as well (4 heads in that).
The house has 3/4" main trunk in and then 1/2 throughout. I am going to upgrade all the 1/2 trunks in the basement to 3/4 and leave the risers at 1/2" except for the specific feed to this shower. That will be 3/4 hot & cold.
As an FYI water pressure in the house is currently 50PSI.
Kohler recommends 3/4 lines for this shower system.
Just looking to get some feedback from anyone who has installed a set up like this for a customer or in their own home.
To add further info to the thread, I have all the diverter valves and a 3/4thermostatic valve needed for the rough in job.
The house currently has a Bosch tankless unit putting out 5gpm.
I don't expect to run everything at once but what can be run???
Maybe the ceiling and hand wand? Just the wand? Just the wall jets?
Basically I would like to know what to look out for in regards to rough in plumbing how it should be routed, issues I might face etc etc etc.
I am a little worried about the tankless unit being a little weak for this set up.

Thanks in advance

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,188

Re: Shower Body Spray Questions

So you're worried about a 5 gal/min water heater supplying 20 gal/min?

Can you turbocharge the thing?

Sounds to me like you need to go to a brewery or something which is being torn down and buy a 500 gal. kettle. Mount it on the floor above the shower area and plumb it directly into your shower heads. Put about 1/2 cord of wood underneath it and start the fire. In about 3 hours you should be able to take a 25 minute shower. Maybe you won't have to wait that long. Some experimentation is in order. You're sort of out on the frontier of this technology.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #3

^^^ Ahhh I see....Anyone around your area sell the kettles?
Better yet...Can you build me one?

Not looking for a 25 minute shower & not worried about a 5.3 gallon a minute heater supplying 20.gpm
I am questioning if the heater will be able to support the shower head at 10gpm or the wall tiles...
As mentioned "I don't expect everything to be run at once"
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,795

5gpm water heater, 10 gpm head....hmmm...

I think you could run 2 of those showers off that heater

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 552

I think you are in for some cold showers!! Most projects we do with custom shower systems like the one you describe will require a 60 gallon water heater - I have never put a system in with tankless - not as popular up here in Canada, yet!!

One question, what is the capacity of your thermostatic valve? From what I recall, the Kohler high flow valve maxes out at around 12 gpm, which would be enough for either your body sprays or your ceiling mount shower head.

The following shows a grohe system:
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Body spray Questions-dscn1400.jpg   Shower Body spray Questions-owdoda-after2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #6

^^^ Yeah...I am up in canada.
Got rid of the 60 for the tankless.
Yup...12gpm @ 45psi.

Last edited by Shocked; 03-05-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #7

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 75

With that GPM I would run 1" to my 1st mixing valve, then ruduce to 3/4" to the next one. One mixing valve won't alow the GPM you need.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1a View Post
With that GPM I would run 1" to my 1st mixing valve, then ruduce to 3/4" to the next one. One mixing valve won't alow the GPM you need.

One mixing valve will not allow the gpm I need should I want to "try" and run more than 12gpm.
If I want to only run the rainfall water head I can as that is 10gpm as is the wall jets. Everything would have to be run seperately & not all at once. I think.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #9

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis design View Post
I think you are in for some cold showers!! Most projects we do with custom shower systems like the one you describe will require a 60 gallon water heater - I have never put a system in with tankless - not as popular up here in Canada, yet!!

One question, what is the capacity of your thermostatic valve? From what I recall, the Kohler high flow valve maxes out at around 12 gpm, which would be enough for either your body sprays or your ceiling mount shower head.

The following shows a grohe system:

That is almost a duplicut of one I did recently in MD.