Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
Pro
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 901
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


I would put Sharkbites on my top ten list of the best inventions in modern construction. Now if one ever does come apart inside a wall I built I will take it off the list. Until that happens I will continue saving time and money using them.
Brock is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Nick1123's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Grumpy plumber... wow u spend way to much time on here for all that... i assume your retired?? or just a has been??
Nick1123 is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #23
The Grand Wazoo
 
KillerToiletSpider's Avatar
 
Trade: It blowed up real good!
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,714
Rewards Points: 1,454

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1123 View Post
Grumpy plumber... wow u spend way to much time on here for all that... i assume your retired?? or just a has been??
Using the search function takes less than a minute.


Please just continue to provide your customers with sub standard illegal installs and stop trying to use us for info.
__________________
A flush is better than a full house.
KillerToiletSpider is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #24
Pro
 
Grumpyplumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,171
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1123 View Post
Grumpy plumber... wow u spend way to much time on here for all that... i assume your retired?? or just a has been??
Nah, I have a special place in my heart for hacks that use free info from licensed professionals on false pretenses to do illegal work and dupe unknowing homeowners...especially when they come back to gloat about it after the fact.

You remind me of a fella I once knew that would use other contractors license numbers to pull permits.
Ironically, his name is Nick too...small world, coincidence I'm sure.
Grumpyplumber is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #25
Pro Plumber
 
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,779
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I would put Sharkbites on my top ten list of the best inventions in modern construction. Now if one ever does come apart inside a wall I built I will take it off the list. Until that happens I will continue saving time and money using them.

Did you say that about quest pipe?
Ron The Plumber is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 AM   #26
Registered User
 
Nick1123's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


grumpy plumber... maybe we are from the same area??? maybe your the 90 year old has been still grindin it out everyday pullin my permits???
Nick1123 is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #27
Service Plumber
 
plumberman's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 118
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Nick1123 vbmenu_register("postmenu_472391", true);
Registered User
Trade: General Contractor

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9


you only need to fallow the rules if there is someone there to enforce them... do code officers snoop around your yard??? if not i would really not worry about it... and if they do come just play stupid... the stupid homeowner approach works everytime....


Bet that 90 year old can spell follow......
__________________
"To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself. Think for yourself. Question authority". ..
plumberman is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
Registered User
 
loneill's Avatar
 
Trade: appliance repair
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Sharkbites are certified for use on Cu, CPVC and Pex...but not the old Quest, the old grey stuff that had a class action some years ago. BUT, some have said that the Sharkbites WILL work as a good converter between Quest and say, steel threading.

I'm hoping I can have an answer on this soon...because manufactured homes in my area (out in the boonies) all seem to be fitted with Quest...I've never worked with it and no one where I live supplies it in great quantities.

Thanks for any heads up/info.
loneill is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
Pro Plumber
 
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,779
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneill View Post
some have said that the Sharkbites WILL work as a good converter between Quest and say, steel threading.
Ok you lost me, what do you mean a converter between quest and steel threading.

Who said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneill View Post
I'm hoping I can have an answer on this soon...because manufactured homes in my area (out in the boonies) all seem to be fitted with Quest...I've never worked with it and no one where I live supplies it in great quantities.
Your answer is call a plumber, before you flood out a homeowners house. See bold highlight in your post.
Ron The Plumber is offline  
Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
New Guy
 
Stilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


I just don't think I would trust sharkbites anywhere buried in a wall. That being said, we give the sharkbite caps to our kitchen and bath installers so that they can remove shut offs and disassemble the rooms before the plumbers get there. This saves us loads of wasted time running around just soldering on caps so the job doesn't get bogged down. We don't really trust installers to solder their own caps on, and a plumber has to be out within a day or two to do all the plumbing once the tear out is done. So I do think they have their place, just a very limited place.
Stilts is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #31
Pro
 
orson's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Millersville, PA
Posts: 1,346
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilts View Post
I just don't think I would trust sharkbites anywhere buried in a wall. That being said, we give the sharkbite caps to our kitchen and bath installers so that they can remove shut offs and disassemble the rooms before the plumbers get there. This saves us loads of wasted time running around just soldering on caps so the job doesn't get bogged down. We don't really trust installers to solder their own caps on, and a plumber has to be out within a day or two to do all the plumbing once the tear out is done. So I do think they have their place, just a very limited place.
Why don't you just demo the cabinets around the existing valves and stop wasting your money on sharkbites?
orson is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #32
Pro
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 901
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by orson View Post
Why don't you just demo the cabinets around the existing valves and stop wasting your money on sharkbites?
In order to put the new sink base you want to drill a nice 5/8 hole for the hot and cold line to run through the ne sink base cabinet. I have seen hack jobs where the guy left the shut offs on and drilled a two inch hole in the new cabinet though.

My question is why have a plumber at all on a cabinet job? You are allowed to do a fixture change without a plumbing license. I wouldn't hire a cabinet guy that couldn't hook up a sink at the end of the job. To me it's would be like calling a tow truck because you don't know how to change your flat tire.
Brock is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #33
Pro
 
Herk's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 192
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orson
Why don't you just demo the cabinets around the existing valves and stop wasting your money on sharkbites?
That's the beauty of Sharkbites - they're removable/reusable. No waste.
__________________
There are no dumb questions - just a lot of inquisitive idiots.
Herk is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #34
Pro
 
Forry's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eugene, OR.
Posts: 825
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
In order to put the new sink base you want to drill a nice 5/8 hole for the hot and cold line to run through the ne sink base cabinet. I have seen hack jobs where the guy left the shut offs on and drilled a two inch hole in the new cabinet though.

My question is why have a plumber at all on a cabinet job? You are allowed to do a fixture change without a plumbing license. I wouldn't hire a cabinet guy that couldn't hook up a sink at the end of the job. To me it's would be like calling a tow truck because you don't know how to change your flat tire.
Here you can't do that. Only plumbers can touch plumbing. I'mnot even supposed to change a faucet.
__________________
now i am scared for my future
i've got all ten
smashed a lot of them stupidly before
-john5mt
Forry is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #35
Pro
 
Herk's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 192
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
My question is why have a plumber at all on a cabinet job? You are allowed to do a fixture change without a plumbing license. I wouldn't hire a cabinet guy that couldn't hook up a sink at the end of the job. To me it's would be like calling a tow truck because you don't know how to change your flat tire.
If you hire a cabinet guy to install a sink, you deserve whatever you get. It won't be right and it won't be pretty. I'm the guy who gets to do the plumbing right and $20,000 damage isn't that uncommon. Those new cabinets aren't nearly so pretty with that water-damaged look. Were I an insurance company, I'd have a clause about amateur-installed plumbing. There'd be a lot of folks looking for a place to live.

Here, you don't put plumbing fixtures in without a license.
__________________
There are no dumb questions - just a lot of inquisitive idiots.
Herk is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #36
Pro Plumber
 
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,779
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forry View Post
Here you can't do that. Only plumbers can touch plumbing. I'mnot even supposed to change a faucet.
Yes your right, Hi Forry, did not even know your was from my area, till I seen Eugene, Oregon. in your profile. Call me I'll put that faucet in for you.

Last edited by Ron The Plumber; 08-09-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Ron The Plumber is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #37
New Guy
 
Stilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
In order to put the new sink base you want to drill a nice 5/8 hole for the hot and cold line to run through the ne sink base cabinet. I have seen hack jobs where the guy left the shut offs on and drilled a two inch hole in the new cabinet though.

My question is why have a plumber at all on a cabinet job? You are allowed to do a fixture change without a plumbing license. I wouldn't hire a cabinet guy that couldn't hook up a sink at the end of the job. To me it's would be like calling a tow truck because you don't know how to change your flat tire.

You're right about it looking like crap when you hack big holes in the back of cabinets for the valves, but there's also the fact that half the time the shut offs are no good anymore, especially the hot side. Usually we're not just doing the cabinets there. It's typically at least a bathtub or shower replacement, often the pipes for the vanity need to be moved, because all our cabinets are custom built, so they end up a different size than original. There are a couple of installers that we allow to trim out the sinks and faucets, but most we don't. Too many past problems with leaks.
Stilts is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #38
New Guy
 
Stilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk View Post
If you hire a cabinet guy to install a sink, you deserve whatever you get. It won't be right and it won't be pretty. I'm the guy who gets to do the plumbing right and $20,000 damage isn't that uncommon. Those new cabinets aren't nearly so pretty with that water-damaged look. Were I an insurance company, I'd have a clause about amateur-installed plumbing. There'd be a lot of folks looking for a place to live.

Here, you don't put plumbing fixtures in without a license.
We have several in house plumbers, and if we get in a time crunch and let one of the installers that we trust trim out the fixtures, one of us usually pops in to at least check it before the job wraps.
Stilts is offline  
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #39
Pro
 
tool junkie's Avatar
 
Trade: GC - Jobsite superintendent - General tool collector
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So. California
Posts: 131
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


they leak!
sorry

Hey, those push-fit fittings are great for emergency temporary repairs but yeah those rubber seals wont last. Over time they will LEAK
__________________
-----oo00oo-----
If i understood the source of my addiction I would get help,
meanwhile I'll just buy another tool today.
-----oo00oo-----
tool junkie is offline  
Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #40
Service Plumber
 
plumberman's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 118
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Sharkbite Fittings... The Truth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tool junkie View Post
they leak!
sorry

Hey, those push-fit fittings are great for emergency temporary repairs but yeah those rubber seals wont last. Over time they will LEAK
What rubber seals?

__________________
"To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself. Think for yourself. Question authority". ..
plumberman is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gator bite fittings, feed back please tzzzz216 Plumbing 126 04-27-2011 10:44 AM
Copper fittings wrenchman Contractor Swap 0 01-20-2008 12:35 PM
metric compression fittings????? rutalkn Plumbing 4 12-06-2007 04:39 AM
Galvanized Compression Fittings ? We Fix Houses Plumbing 25 11-10-2007 07:53 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?