Shark Bite Fittings

Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Plumber

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 250

Shark Bite Fittings

I just started to use the shark bite fittings on some repair work , so far I haven't had any problems with them ,(knock on wood ) Has anyone had any problems with them , and how do you like the product ?

The only easy day was yesterday !!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Shark Bite Fittings

so far so good

Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #3

Trade: Heating, Cooling & Plumbing
Rewards Points: 75

If you guys like those you should try the Watts brand "sea-tech" fittings. They are plastic and work just as well for less than 1/2 the price.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Home Improvement Contractor

Ive been using them for a year. I just hope They dont leak down the road. I put some in walls and ceilings.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
Plumber

I've used them in walls , shower valves and in 1 basement , they say their good for up to 180 psi , Before i install any i deburr the pipe then clean it with sand cloth.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

That basic style of fitting is what tractor-trailers have used for the air brake lines for a very long time. It's proven technology.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Home Improvement Contractor

I love them. They are costly but cheaper than a plumber. I roughed in a a laundry and bath in less than 2 hours.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 25

Are sharkbite fittings good for kitec pipe.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #9

Trade: Heating, Cooling & Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber jay View Post
Are sharkbite fittings good for kitec pipe.
Yes, they will work on Kitec. They work on all copper, pex, and pex-al-pex pipes.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
Master

I used them for the first time a while back, and the pipe was an underground repair on soft copper, and the pitting wouldn't allow it to seal proplerly. It dripped at first, then would SPRAY when I gave it a spin. I prefer to solder-weld all copper pipes. I hate them sharkys, but I used them once again yesterday, but I didn't like it!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squench View Post
I used them for the first time a while back, and the pipe was an underground repair on soft copper, and the pitting wouldn't allow it to seal proplerly. It dripped at first, then would SPRAY when I gave it a spin. I prefer to solder-weld all copper pipes. I hate them sharkys, but I used them once again yesterday, but I didn't like it!
I don't think code allows them underground anyways.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Master

From Cash Acme:
The SharkBite® Push-Fittings™ have been certified for underground applications and as a manufactured joint without access panels and they meet UPC, IPC and cUPC requirements.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber

I did not look them up, I was only guessing at it, took them as a union type of fitting.

Now that I think about them, one can plumb there entire house using them, meaning they can be covered, so it will make sense. I don't use them myself. I adapt to pex when ever possible.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #14

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 10

I tookthe certification class on the watts pex tubing and have used the stuff only a hand full of times , most of my builders dont want it in there high end homes maybe someday they will, my only concern is why is it only under warranty for such a short period of time?? I think it says that most of the fittings and valves are only a 2 year warranty!!
that scares me alittle bit, when i know copper will be there for decades!! its proven.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 500

It seems that in my area not very many plumbing companies want to work on mobile homes, at least the mobile home owners tell me that they have a hard time getting anyone to come out. I am assuming this is because nearly all of the mobile homes I see still have polybutylene pipe. I personally would not buy another set of crimp tools or carry any PB fittings on my truck (I don't have enough space already) or want to have any liability associated with PB pipe. This may be the same thinking of others, I don't know. However, shark bite fittings are just the ticket in this situation! The HO gets what they want (and that is usually just a patch rather than a full re-pipe which is what they really need) and I don't have to be responsible for extra tools, fittings, or liability associated with PB! I'm not sure whether shark bites are rated for PB pipe or not but they work great in this application and if they should fail there is no property damage since I will only use them under the mobile home. If the leak is above the floor then I will transition to pex underneath and eleminate all PB in that particular line. They work great for me and the HOs are really happy to be able to get their problem fixed (at least until the PB fails somewhere else) and it makes me happy because I don't have to feel any guilt for refusing service to someone just because they have crappy pipe that I don't want to work on. It also makes me happy because it's very profitable.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #16

Trade: Commercial Plumbing

no problems yet either - been using them for a couple years and leak-free. (sharkbiteplumbing.com)
Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #17

Trade: GC, Elec, Plumb

Been using them on plastic and copper for a couple of years (since home depot start carrying them), never had a call-back yet.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #18

Trade: home improvment

Has anyone had issues with pipes turning while trying to tighten say a tub spout? If so, how did you solve it? Other than that, I swear by them.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd View Post
Has anyone had issues with pipes turning while trying to tighten say a tub spout? If so, how did you solve it? Other than that, I swear by them.

I'm guessing you're referring to using a shark elbow for the drop to a tub/shower valve?

Are you a remodeler? Plumber? Handman?

An introduction and more detailed profile would help.
Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling Contractor - You Can Get There From Here
Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #20
Toilet Maestro

Trade: Bathroom remodeling

Expensive but a real time saver. Haven't had one leak yet that was connected properly