Rough-In Valve?

Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
New Guy

Rewards Points: 25

Rough-In Valve?

In the process of re-doing a bathroom and had a question about the bath/ shower assembly. Is the rough - in valve the valve that controls the water volume, direction and tempertature for a bath/shower assembly? I'm not sure if I need a diverter and several other valves or if the rough in would take care of all that. Anyone have any recommendations on what brand to use? They seem like they only fit on certain brands of fixtures such as spouts, knobs and showerheads. Is there a universal valve that would fit most common brands?

Thanks!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumbing and heating
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Rough-In Valve?

The most popular and dependable valve is made by Symmons. If you are looking for a simple tub/shower valve these are the best in the business!!

The S96-2 model comes complete with built in diverter, a tub spout and a shower head and arm. The S96-1 model is for shower only.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

What in the world are you talking about? If you buy any shower or bath valve for at least $50 bucks, all you do is hook the hot and cold up to it, the shower head and either plug the bath filler if it is just a shower or hook up the bath filler to it. Just open a box and look at the instructions.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,034

Not sure exactly what you're asking, - - but to me the 'rough-in' valve would be a shut-off valve before the water even gets to your diverter, - - you'd need one for hot and one for cold. Locate them below your diverter and provide an access panel from behind.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: plumbing and heating

A "rough-in valve" is a shower valve installed on the rough.If you are worried about actual shut-offs to the hot and cold then buy one with intregal stops.

Also, don't just buy any "$50.00 valve" make sure it is a tempering anti-scald valve such as the Symmons that is accepted by you're local codes.

You can still buy three handle valves from the big box stores which are illegal for shower applications. They probably cost "$50.00" and are obviously piped the same way any valve is installed, but it is the safety and function that is going to protect you're family or others from scalding.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,034

Around my way we're 'required' to have the separate shut-offs (if it doesn't already have the integrals).
Old 06-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Pro

My vote is for Symmons, as they can really take a beating.

And its a simple rough in with the backer plate.

BJD

Advertisement