Replacing Cast Iron Hw Radiators W/ Hot Water Baseboards

Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Trade: general renovation
Rewards Points: 75

Replacing Cast Iron Hw Radiators W/ Hot Water Baseboards

I buy and renovate foreclosed duplexes to rent.

In one house, several cast iron radiators were stolen.

I'm planning to replace the missing ones w/ modern baseboards, but I have two questions:

First, a 6' baseboard radiator seems to have less BTU capacity than a 3' 4 row cast iron one. Can you point me toward the resources I need to figure out how to get the right capacity? (I can read and do math, links are fine, but a walkthrough on calculating capacity on baseboards vs cast iron would be helpful).

Second, if I need 6' of capacity but only have 3' of wall space, what do I do? Stack two 3' baseboards one over the other? Can I plumb them in parallel, or do I have to run a return line across from one to the other? (think a bathroom that had a tall narrow cast iron radiator).

Third, I know the remaining cast irons will have latent heat causing imbalances. How would I balance them w/ the baseboards? Or should I just replace all the radiators w/ baseboards since they're so cheap?

Thanks,
John

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/carpenter
Rewards Points: 152

Re: Replacing Cast Iron Hw Radiators W/ Hot Water Baseboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
I buy and renovate foreclosed duplexes to rent.

In one house, several cast iron radiators were stolen.

I'm planning to replace the missing ones w/ modern baseboards, but I have two questions:

First, a 6' baseboard radiator seems to have less BTU capacity than a 3' 4 row cast iron one. Can you point me toward the resources I need to figure out how to get the right capacity? (I can read and do math, links are fine, but a walkthrough on calculating capacity on baseboards vs cast iron would be helpful).

Second, if I need 6' of capacity but only have 3' of wall space, what do I do? Stack two 3' baseboards one over the other? Can I plumb them in parallel, or do I have to run a return line across from one to the other? (think a bathroom that had a tall narrow cast iron radiator).

Third, I know the remaining cast irons will have latent heat causing imbalances. How would I balance them w/ the baseboards? Or should I just replace all the radiators w/ baseboards since they're so cheap?

Thanks,
John
Been there done that. I'm not a heating guy, but the only way I could see it working is if you have two completely different zones for the two different types of heaters.

Fill a cast iron radiator with hot water, and it radiates heat for a long time. A fin tube is stone cold in a short time. Completely different animals.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

Can anyone point me to a reference to help w/ sizing the baseboards using the cast iron as a reference?

Looks like I'll be pulling the half of the cast iron that wasn't stolen and replacing ALL the cast iron w/ fin tube baseboards in both units (7 baseboards per unit). It's a lot cheaper than replacing the missing cast iron, and baseboards work great if sized correctly in a matched system.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: DIY Home Owner
Rewards Points: 15,240

You can use a euro style radiator. They are tall like cast iron and might have the BTU capacity of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: DIY Home Owner
Rewards Points: 15,240

These even look like cast iron but not as bulky. They have BTU listed

http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/re...radiators.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,120

I guess you already checked to make sure it is not steam heat, right?

The euro style like the Runtal are nice, there is another one who's name escapes me that I used to get from a place in N.H. That was also nice and cheaper than Runtal.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 3,164

Who the hell steals a cast iron radiator? Those things are so heavy. Buderus makes a panel radiator too. They're ok
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

The house is definitely hot water and not steam.

I guess I really need help reverse engineering the BTU capacity of the cast iron radiators, then from that I can size the baseboards.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Guy who makes things

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 254

I think you're giving yourself a headache for no reason. Pick up CI radiators to replace the missing units. Governale makes the common ones around here. They're similar in price to CI baseboard.

Copper baseboard may seem like a good idea in the rental unit, but they're subject to abuse and theft as well. Plus you'll never get the system to run well because the pipe and drops were designed for a certain BTU/hr in each area. there's no reason to mess with it.

Think of the labor needed to pipe in the new baseboard as well. Replace the radiators, you'll be done in 1 2 3.

Keith
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #10

For example, one radiator that was "almost stolen" is 24" tall, 5 rows, 22 sections.

This site says that's 3.0 x 22 x 170 = 11,220 BTU.

http://www.colonialsupply.com/resources/radiator3.htm

But a new baseboard says 330 BTU / ft. That means I need 34 FEET of baseboard??

Really?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UALocal1Plumber View Post
I think you're giving yourself a headache for no reason. Pick up CI radiators to replace the missing units. Governale makes the common ones around here. They're similar in price to CI baseboard.

Copper baseboard may seem like a good idea in the rental unit, but they're subject to abuse and theft as well. Plus you'll never get the system to run well because the pipe and drops were designed for a certain BTU/hr in each area. there's no reason to mess with it.

Think of the labor needed to pipe in the new baseboard as well. Replace the radiators, you'll be done in 1 2 3.

Keith
Really? I'll look for those this afternoon...

any suggestions where to buy in NJ or E PA?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Guy who makes things

Just try a local plumbing supply. I don't know who's near you sorry.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #13

I called Governale, they referred a couple local houses. Only one in NE PA is in Stroudsburg. When the time comes, I'll call OCS too. They both do CI, both in Brooklyn.

$350 to replace one stolen radiator. With 2-4 missing, it becomes an even wash between buying $1500 of radiators or buying $1500 baseboards. Or maybe $750 in baseboards and consolidate the iron from two units into one.

Guess I should just replace the CI to avoid sizing and design problems in the future. Thanks.

As an aside, I just checked scrap prices... they're worth around $20 in scrap iron. Gotta love a meth head. Wrestling 200 lbs of iron out of a house to get $20 (or less) for scrap, and doing $500 damage in the process.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #14

Guess what I just found....

http://bed-stuy.patch.com/listings/k...ating-supplies

A huge warehouse of used radiators in Brooklyn... open 24/7.

That should help lower the cost of replacing them.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Guy who makes things

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I called Governale, they referred a couple local houses. Only one in NE PA is in Stroudsburg. When the time comes, I'll call OCS too. They both do CI, both in Brooklyn.

$350 to replace one stolen radiator. With 2-4 missing, it becomes an even wash between buying $1500 of radiators or buying $1500 baseboards. Or maybe $750 in baseboards and consolidate the iron from two units into one.

Guess I should just replace the CI to avoid sizing and design problems in the future. Thanks.

As an aside, I just checked scrap prices... they're worth around $20 in scrap iron. Gotta love a meth head. Wrestling 200 lbs of iron out of a house to get $20 (or less) for scrap, and doing $500 damage in the process.
Trust me, that **** will make you do crazy things.

Keith
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,532

Get used radiators.. i know that place in brooklyn as posted above

Advertisement