Removing A 420 Lbs. Cast Iron Whirlpool Tub Intact

Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,322

Removing A 420 Lbs. Cast Iron Whirlpool Tub Intact

I have the opportunity to salvage a good Kohler cast iron whirlpool tub that retails today for about $7500.

It is installed about 8" above the floor in the bathroom, with the remaining 2' of height below the floor, protruding into the basement below.

It is resting on the edge of a 2x8 as a skirt, and supported by 3 2x8's spanning crossways across the width of the bottom.

I can take it out by lifting it up or dropping it down.

Initially, I was attracted to dropping it down into the basement. I was thinking of raising it a bit, removing the 2x8 supporting the front skirt, then removing the supports below it and lowering it into the basement. There, I need to get it out of a closet space and bedroom door, then down a hallway and out the walk-out. I was thinking about building some cribbing below it, then removing the cribbing one layer at a time.

Now, however, I am contemplating removing it by lifting it up. I'll have to remove anything in the way (sheetrock on the walls, the skirt in front) and lift it with jacks or cribbing from below. It will need to come up about 2', then flipped up on end, strapped to a dolly, and taken out a 2'-0" door, down a hallway, and out the front door.

Does anyone have any thoughts? 420 lbs. is a lot. When I try to lift it, I can't feel it move at all, like it is welded to the floor. I'm accustomed to installing a villager, which I can move around fairly easily by myself.

I've removed some underlayment from the floor upstairs and will need to get the new underlayment down first or some planking, because I think the 420 lbs. on a handcart will punch right through the existing 1/2" sheathing.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. It was difficult to decide which category to put this topic in.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 1,508

Re: Removing A 420 Lbs. Cast Iron Whirlpool Tub Intact

Damn, my back hurts just thinking about it. I got nothin. My luck I'd do $8000 dollars worth of damage trying to save it. I would save it though if it is nice

Last edited by donerightwyo; 06-01-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,478

Is it going to fit through a 2'-0" door? Height & width?

Might want to consider a Machinery Dolly.

Place 3/4" plywood rips in your path to go over the flimsy sheathing.

Going to be a combination of pure brawn & finesse.

In the past I have hired a moving company to move heavy awkward equipment, safes etc.....

Can you go through an exterior wall & get it out with a boom truck?

Good Luck...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 962

Sometimes you just can't afford a good deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to B.D.R. For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (06-07-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

It retails for that NEW.

A used cast iron tub/whirlpool is worth about $150 in scrap. Who really wants a used cast iron unit? Seriously, there's easier ways of making money. Grab a maul and smash the schit out of it and carry it out in pieces.

Mike
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
ArtisanRemod (06-09-2013), donerightwyo (06-02-2013), Esposito (06-02-2013), Metro M & L (06-07-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-06-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 2,548

I remember a few summers in the mid 80's as a mover. If it went in, it can come out (provided they didn't build around it). Not there, but I would go up as well. Don't you have some bottle jacks or something. 420 isn't that bad when you have a few backs.

I see Mike's p.o.v. But sometimes, it's the journey, and when we get an idea in that dense mass that we call a brain, uh-oh.
tenon0774 (06-07-2013), Tinstaafl (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
I remember a few summers in the mid 80's as a mover. If it went in, it can come out (provided they didn't build around it). Not there, but I would go up as well. Don't you have some bottle jacks or something. 420 isn't that bad when you have a few backs.

I see Mike's p.o.v. But sometimes, it's the journey, and when we get an idea in that dense mass that we call a brain, uh-oh.
I've hauled enough cast iron in my time to not have to worry about the "journey" portion, I'd rather go flying and enjoy that journey.

I'm curious what the tub is for? Is it something you get free and want to sell?

Remember, if you hurt yourself carrying it your journey will be awful short.....or long. I guess it depends. Lol

Either way, it's a heavy object and that just requires lifting. You want to plan ahead for how it will be carried and turned, flipped or flopped through a hallway and narrow doors.....if any. Rent a commercial handcart with solid wheels, I've installed many many cast iron tubs on existing houses and hauled them In by myself in including up stairs. Plan ahead.

If you do decide to smash it be sure to cover it with a canvas tarp before swinging to control shrapnel.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Pro

I spent a very short time there today and it seems to be going well so far. I got it up in the air about 2" using a pry bar and various thicknesses of lumber ranging from 1/4-1 1/2" pieces.

It isn't too heavy. I can lift up one end by myself and slip in a piece of lumber with my third leg.

I'm going to get it up on the main floor high enough to put some 2x's under it and secure them to the wall, then it will be stable and I can remove it. Then I have to rebuild the hole in the floor.

I have a good appliance dolly I plan on using to cart it out in, and I think it would be worthwhile to build a crate around it as soon as I get it in a larger area.

I wouldn't hesitate to use this myself. I could never justify spending the money to have a whirlpool, let alone a Kohler.

And yes, it is a journey. And a challenge.

If I run into any real trouble, I can just build two walls under it and use 4 bottle jacks to lift it up. Maybe I'll even put one of those painter's scaffolds under it and use that to lift off of.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,288

Build a crate like bottom/platfform then roll it on pipe or rent a genie lift????
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,231

2'8" tall?? 2'-0" door??

Just round up about half of the High school football team

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,824

Get yourself a shoulder Dolly straps for about $40-50 and you can walk that tub out like it weighs only 50LB

I just took an old TV out 64", size of a wall unit, needed 4 people to bring that in, and now I used this Dolly straps to do it, took that TV out with my youngest kid like it was nothing and could walk that thing for 2 blocks if needed Amazing what little physics can do.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #12

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 458

It isn't too heavy. I can lift up one end by myself and slip in a piece of lumber with my third leg.

Holy crap man! Sounds like you are in the wrong trade.
Builderbob 72 (06-09-2013), olzo55 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,970

I don't have a set, but I've rigged plenty of cargo straps to do essentially the same thing. If I moved heavy stuff regularly, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (06-09-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Pro

I got it up and on the bathroom floor. Didn't take long. I ran out of cribbing and brought some bottle jacks and used them after it was up high enough to get them in.

Once it was above the bathroom floor, I put in 2 2x's attached on floor joists and out to the rim joist, then pulled it sideways out towards the middle of the bathroom. Missed the toilet supply and toilet flange somehow.

I got one end lifted up 9" and will have a guy there tomorrow to help me tilt it up.

It is about 21" deep and I took the door out of the jamb, so I have about 26" space to get it through, but it has to go through SIDEWAYS, which is not the natural way to strap it to a dolly.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Pro

My helper and I got that bad boy out of the bathroom and into a bedroom.

There, I had it on its side, with some blocking holding the body up (because it tapers).

I don't remember how the hell I did this, but I had some 2x's and wanted to make a crate for it. I cut a groove in a 2x6 for the lip to fit in and put 2x6's around the lip of the tub. They were somewhat shorter than the length and width of the tub, because they were let in (the groove).

I got these 4 2x6's screwed together, then put some more 2x6's across the bottom where the feet are. I took a chisel and cut a notch for the feet to sit in.

Then I connected these two bottom pieces to the lip rail with 2 2x6's on each side.

I think this thing weighs 480, not 420. So I sheathed the sides completely with 1/2 scrap plywood. These locks the top and bottom together.

Of course all this was done with the thing on blocking and adjusting as necessary to get lumber under it, etc.

I finished by rolling it over onto two rolling dollies. I had an appliance dolly to use, but opted to carry it out on its side, horizontally. I got it out of the bedroom, down the hallway, and in the kitchen. I have to get it out the laundry room now (up about 1") and into the garage and on to a trailer. In order to get it up the 1" onto a tiled floor, I first laid down some 1/2" plywood, so now I have to get up 1 1/2". I plan on screwing some 10' long 2x's to the sides of the crate, so I can have enough leverage to lift it up 1 1/2" to the floor, as someone pushes.

Then, I'll have to figure out something similar with planking, etc. to get it out to the garage and on the trailer.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,892

Pics?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
Pro

Pictures would certainly be nice. I need to get on top of that. Without pictures, it didn't happen.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 328

Darn it; I'd been waiting for the post where you say, "Now I have to fix the floor at the bottom of the stairs AND figure out how to get it out of the basement."
fb page
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Master

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 75

Exactly what do you mean by "salvage"?
Has this really taken 4 days to partially accomplish?
Much of that initial retail cost is the pump and transport system otherwise its just a tub. and a burly one at that. Our journeys and challenges come in very different forms my friend! I'm with oconomow I'd rather be racing! (which oftentimes would resemble wrestling a cast iron heap)