Pex Rings

Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #1

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 75

Pex Rings

I use the stainless steal rings (zurn,wirsbo bow ties) instead of the copper painted black ones( zurn, vangaurd) I heard from one of the suppliers I use , Said that all pex manufactures are going to do away with the stainless steal ones do to: That they lose their tenstion and start to leak. Have you guys heard of this in your areas? I was thinking of all the house I plumbed with those rings

QP

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Pex Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
I use the stainless steal rings (zurn,wirsbo bow ties) instead of the copper painted black ones( zurn, vangaurd) I heard from one of the suppliers I use , Said that all pex manufactures are going to do away with the stainless steal ones do to: That they lose their tenstion and start to leak. Have you guys heard of this in your areas? I was thinking of all the house I plumbed with those rings

QP
I think of PB...thats all I can say...the whole PB thing years ago.
I might be losing money not using PEX, but I'm willing to. For now.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Pro Plumber

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have not heard of this, give us a link.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
just a dumb plumber

Trade: Plumbing / HVAC

From reading the other posts concerning pex pipe... I know that I am in the minority here. I suspect that I cannot change your minds about it, and I also suspect that I will not change my mind either.

Its my opinion that Pex is a great product, for a temporary water service.

I dont have much experience with it... then again, its not too often I have seen an engineer specify pex on a hospital addition, or a school.

I did see it specified on a Dialysis Clinic for potable water distribution (not the RO piping of course). I took it off (and got the job) in CPVC. This was in a county with hard water that makes copper impractical.

Crb5
Old 07-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb555 View Post
From reading the other posts concerning pex pipe... I know that I am in the minority here. I suspect that I cannot change your minds about it, and I also suspect that I will not change my mind either.

Its my opinion that Pex is a great product, for a temporary water service.

I dont have much experience with it... then again, its not too often I have seen an engineer specify pex on a hospital addition, or a school.

I did see it specified on a Dialysis Clinic for potable water distribution (not the RO piping of course). I took it off (and got the job) in CPVC. This was in a county with hard water that makes copper impractical.

Crb5
This is a situation where I'm hearing all good things about it, yet I still have to wimp out and "err on the side of caution" when it comes to fittings inside the structure.
Ten years from now I'll likely be slapping my forehead "I shoulda".
Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #6

Trade: plumber

I don't have a link about this I tried to research it today and found nothing! I think I might start to question all my suppliers and see what they have to say. Just out of curiousity what brand of pex piping do you other guys use? I mainly use Zurn. A company I use to work for used Vanguard. The great thing about about those 2 you can use the same black rings. What I like about Zurn there is 3 different type of rings you can use. black rings, Stainless steal like wirsbo used, and the new Stainless steal rings they came out with. They are like the wirsbo ones.(one tool does all sizes) except they cover the whole insert of a fitting and had a stopper on it. (So basically you know how the other ones slide down or up on you, )These slide on until they butt up against the end of the pipe and you slide in your fitting and No up and down movement I wish I new how to download pic on here I would show you if you never seen these ones. But I know for a fact they had a recall on these ones. So I went back to the other stainless steal ones.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
I don't have a link about this I tried to research it today and found nothing! I think I might start to question all my suppliers and see what they have to say. Just out of curiousity what brand of pex piping do you other guys use? I mainly use Zurn. A company I use to work for used Vanguard. The great thing about about those 2 you can use the same black rings. What I like about Zurn there is 3 different type of rings you can use. black rings, Stainless steal like wirsbo used, and the new Stainless steal rings they came out with. They are like the wirsbo ones.(one tool does all sizes) except they cover the whole insert of a fitting and had a stopper on it. (So basically you know how the other ones slide down or up on you, )These slide on until they butt up against the end of the pipe and you slide in your fitting and No up and down movement I wish I new how to download pic on here I would show you if you never seen these ones. But I know for a fact they had a recall on these ones. So I went back to the other stainless steal ones.
All Wirsbo, with the expansion barbed fittings until recently I tried Zurn on baseboard.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Pro Plumber

Zurn and Aqua Pex here, we use the SS Rings here, I knew there was a new tool and ring out but until they switch totally over to the new tool, I'll stay with this one for now.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #9

Trade: General Contractor & Estimator
Rewards Points: 10

Does anyone have any recommendations of the best tools for working with Pex? I will probably go with the copper crimp rings.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

ive used both types of rings and i prefer the S.S crimp rings...i just recently did my first house completly in pex and it went quick...im still all about copper but if using pex gets me the job then ill do it....ive used pex in commercial buildings just to loop lines then pipe the rest in copper....BTW i use REHAU tubing
Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Plumbing/Mechanical Insp.

Trade: plumbing/mechanical/building inspector

I see Wirsbo, Vangaurd, and Rehau here in Moscow. The clamp the plumber is talking about I think is called the RTI clamp it is not allowed here by Idaho state rule for the fact that they split and leak, However that could of changed because the state is not very good at telling plumbers what has changed in the code. I used Rehau in my houes I feel that it has a better joint but that is just my opinon. I would say that 90% of the plumbers here use vangaurd and Moscow will be a good testing ground because you will not find a new house that has been build in the last 5 years with out pex pipe in it. Guess if it fails like PE pipe did they lawers will make a good living in law suits.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Plumber

Trade: Sewer Rat

I use the black rings because I want a complete cremp all the way around the fitting. I still dont like the uses of pex as I use to be a plumber for a trailer house mfg and now all that gray crap I installed over the years back in the 80`s is now making me money. I know this pex is gonna do the same thing
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
I use the black rings because I want a complete cremp all the way around the fitting. I still dont like the uses of pex as I use to be a plumber for a trailer house mfg and now all that gray crap I installed over the years back in the 80`s is now making me money. I know this pex is gonna do the same thing
Your statment of "having a crImp all the way around" is just wrong. Silly actually. The black painted copper rings are not at all as good of a connection vs. the SS rings. If anything the copper is much softer than the SS and more prone to loosen over time.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
Plumber

I think your nutz Silly actually
the old gray had SS and it all leaks now

I want a 360 crImp

I`ll post pictures later as I have one to replumb today

Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-12-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
Plumber

Ok now tell me that a 360 crImp is not better

Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
Pro Plumber

Quote:

Thats the old quest pipe and rings, thats not in use today.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:

This is the SS ring...I've never even used those other ones.

I might have better pics - gotta look...
Pex rings-ct008.jpg
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
Pro

The only time I have had any issues with these SS crimps is when I had put them on wrong. If it's not correctly crimped right, it will leak. But that was my fault.
Pex rings-ct009.jpg
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
Pro Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNLA View Post
The only time I have had any issues with these SS crimps is when I had put them on wrong. If it's not correctly crimped right, it will leak. But that was my fault.
Attachment 6011
Are those the new rings Zurn has come out with?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
Are those the new rings Zurn has come out with?
These are a little different than what I was buying 6-8 months ago. They have like little tabs that actually make it so the pex can't 100% butt up to the fitting. The pic of the 1/2" red is the new style, the mixing valve is the older style. I gotta bunch of pics of a tankless relocate I did last week. Came out nice, owner was a milf.....no complaints from me

Advertisement