New Construction Rough Plumbing Layout

Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Construction Rough Plumbing Layout

I am begining the foundation on my new house and I am having trouble with the layout of the in slab, (Basement) rough plumbing. Mostly due to my inexperiance in the layout process. Any help would be great.

Kyle

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: New Construction Rough Plumbing Layout

I think the reason no one is responding is because how can they help you out with out seeing the basement first. Just a thought. In the event I was building a new house I would go with pex water lines in stead of copper. More up front cost but less time to install. Installation is cut in half. This is what Rich on This old house always goes with when installing water lines in a new this old house project. The pex is as easy to run as electrical wire I think its awesome. This is what there using on there current project alone with radiant floor heating which is also pex. :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Plan ahead, look at your plans and vision where everything is going to go, then add from there for future events.
Height is a main factor whenever you are doing rough plumbing in slab work, laser and string level is a must.
Measurements have to be on the mark, dead on or you will have problems on the finish.
As to the materails for under ground depends on your local code, check first you do not want to have to do things twice.

bjd
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

In the plumbing in the basement slab, do I need to maintain the 1/4" per foot fall in the sewage pipes, or just have some slope. My reason for asking is so I can determine at what depth I should put a cross over pipe in my frost footing on the walkout of my basement.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Commercial construction

Trade: Commercial construction
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafanslr
In the plumbing in the basement slab, do I need to maintain the 1/4" per foot fall in the sewage pipes, or just have some slope?
What you need to do is hire a plumber, before you f*** this job up. A plumber can do this job in no time, and do it right. I can tell from your questions that you don't know WTF you're doing. If you don't know what pitch to put on the pipes, it tells me that you don't know the code. How do you intend to deal with the main house trap, and the fresh air vent? You're not competent to do this job. Hire someone who is. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but BELIEVE ME I have your best interests at heart.

You're trying to do a professional job. Do what a professional would do; call a plumber. That's the way it's done.

I really hope that you follow this advice, and I wish you the best of luck with your new home.

Best regards,
Mike

Last edited by wasdifferent; 03-29-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:57 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Yea that was kinda blunt, and I would have to agree with Mike.

I do not do my own taxes, you know why? because I know i would screw them up.

Dont be fooled into the idea that this is a simple operation, you must be dead on or its a mess.

BJD
Old 04-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Commercial construction

Trade: Commercial construction
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjd
...Yea that was kinda blunt...
Bjd,
It was really blunt, but I meant kafanslr no harm. I'd hate to see this guy have to jackhammer 4 yds of concrete out because we didn't give him a much needed wake-up call. He is in over his head, and the remedy is not very expensive. I wish that someone had wacked me in the head a couple of times when I had put myself in a similar situation. I hope to see a good ending here, and I hope he gets back to us.

Best regards,

Advertisement

Last edited by wasdifferent; 04-02-2005 at 03:25 PM.