Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Natural Gas to Propane

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  pattyson 
#1 ·
I have a used water heater that was running on natural gas and Im putting it in my rental that is on propane. What, if anything do I have to change on it? Im kindda thinking just the inlet fitting on the reg, but im not sure, bigger or smaller?
Same thing on a couple of wall furnaces.
Thanks
Dave

#8 ·
The gas valve and the pilot burner orifice need to be changed, you may also have to add a regulator to the gas line upsteam of the gas valve. The max pressure inside should be no more than 1/2 a pound.

MD where have you ever seen 3 lbs?????????

#9 · (Edited)
MD where have you ever seen 3 lbs?????????
Substituten the unit "inches of water column" for "lbs" in my original statement. My mistake.

I've seen gas pressures in the "pounds" inside many times. Homes with large buried propane tanks quite often run 2 pound systems inside to keep the pipe sizes more reasonable, and have a PRV at each appliance.

#11 ·
I wouldn't do it

Propane burns considerable hotter than natural gas. There is a difference in the regulated pressure between the two and the orifice for natural gas is larger.

I would suggest that you consider purchasing a water heater that was designed for Propane as it will be marked in bold print "Propane Only". Obviously altering a natural gas water heater will void all manufacturer's warranties and if something does happen you will be completely liable.

#12 ·
Propane burns considerable hotter than natural gas. There is a difference in the regulated pressure between the two and the orifice for natural gas is larger.

I would suggest that you consider purchasing a water heater that was designed for Propane as it will be marked in bold print "Propane Only". Obviously altering a natural gas water heater will void all manufacturer's warranties and if something does happen you will be completely liable.
I agree, and on top of that...changing it out is a pain, doing it yourself is a scary proposition (miss one detail and..boom).
Having a plumber/gasfitter do it wouldn't be cheap..all around it's just better to start fresh with a hew warrantied heater.

#14 ·
After close inspection, it doesn't look like the gas control is going to come off, part of it goes into the tank to sense the temp Im sure... maybe a nut on the inside or soldered on. Ive removed and replaced gas controls on heater units, so I thought it would be easy like that, but its not.
Its used, so warrenty doesn't matter. My pops pulled it off a remodel job where he had to get a bigger one. I'll just save it for when a like kind needs replacement.
And I'll install a new one.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.