Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Master's test Ky.

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  plumb.bob.down 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and I am a journeyman plumber thinking about taking my master plumbers test in the state of Kentucky. There is a multiple choice part and a commercial building piping diagram. Has anyone taken this type of test before? Besides basic pipe sizing and fixture units I don't know what else to study to prepare me for the diagram part. Any Ideas?

#2 ·
Don't know anything about Ky but your exam sounds similar to the one I took. The isometric is used to test your overall knowledge of the plumbing code as well as your level of understanding of plumbing systems and how they work. Mine did seem to focus on rough piping installation issues. It was also of a commercial single story structure. I would suggest that you:

1. Know drainage fixture unit values as they relate to drainage piping
as well as vent piping.

2. I would thoroughly understand venting in general, including types of venting that you may not use normally in the work that you do.

3. Know legal fitting types for a given application. The multiple choice section will most likely refer to this drawing. For example: "What is the proper fitting to be used at location C on the isometric ..." and then you will have a choice of 4.

In general I would read and re-read and re-read my code book. Whatever I did'nt understand I would approach the old salts that I worked with about, although you should'nt necessarily take their word for it (it's scary how many guys are out there who have been putting it in for years but really have very little idea how it works.) Also you can call your local code council and ask them for clarification of things you don't quite get.

As for "thinking about taking the master exam...", don't think about it do it! While you are waiting (and preparing) to take your master you should get ready for the next available journeyman gas exam and take it followed by your master gas at your earliest opportunity.

Don't just try to squeak by either. Do everything you can to thoroughly understand plumbing systems throughout your career. Don't stop learning just because you pass the exam and get a little card that says you know what you're doing.

Good luck (although there isn't really any luck involved)!

#5 ·
Gas Exam

Smells

Gas exam? I think we should have something like that here. All Indiana does has a Rep from Gas tight, Trac Pipe, or Warflex give a class on how to install their brand of pipe and we receive a card saying we completed the class. Which allows us to purchuse that brand of pipe. We are not spose to be able to purchuse the gas pipe with out the card but some supply houses just want to make a buck!:mad:

#6 ·
My tests in Oklahloma City were from info. in the IFGC,the IPC,the IRC ,the Oklahoma Rules and Regulations,the OSHA code book,the Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipe-fitters and a fat business and law book which at the time I thought was the most dry reading ever.The states frown on using the term Master anymore for its racial or derogatory connotations.The term Contractor is now what is deemed acceptable :blink:.Sounds like some have very lax testing.Google International code council for all you'll need .Once you sign up to test,you should be given a list of approved or recommended study guides/books.

#7 ·
I recently have taken the Ky Master's Exam and passed it.

On the commercial building, the Division of Plumbing really wants to know if you know the difference between a stack vent and a vent stack.

Also, the area of vents through the roof (assuming you know how to find the area of a circle) should be equal to the building drain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.