Kitchen Faucet Losing Pressure

Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Kitchen Faucet Losing Pressure

I humbly ask my plumbing brethren for some advice. I have a Delta kitchen faucet. I tried looking for a pic of it but I can't find it. My wife bought it (sigh) at HD. It's antique looking brass (?) one handle mounted on the faucet. Where the water comes out, there's a switch for spray and stream. The faucet handle is the sprayer. $300 or so from my recollection.

So, when I turn the water on, there's pressure like there's supposed to be. Gradually, it loses pressure. Not a complete loss, but significant. Turn it off and right back on, still low pressure. Turn it off and wait 10 seconds, then turn it on, plenty of pressure then slow pressure drop.

It's like there's a kink in a hose that's restricting the flow if you know what I mean. I know we've had a slow drip on the hot side and I need to replace the washers. This doesn't have anything to do with it does it? I know just enough about plumbing to be dangerous.

I was hoping to go for the sympathy votes since I stack my nails on my double top plates over the studs so you guys don't drive your drill bits into hidden nails.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,184

Re: Kitchen Faucet Losing Pressure

I'm no plumber, but sometimes I pretend to be. Have you tried pulling it apart to look for any blockages? Is there a screen on the output end that might be clogged?

Usually, if you mess with something like this long enough, it gets fixed. Or replaced, which is the same thing as far as she's concerned!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 2,010

Most pull out sprayer type faucets have a check valve built into the sprayer portion, usually right where the hose attaches, more than likely this check valve is full of crud that is accounting for your pressure loss. It takes a few seconds for the crud to build up in the check screen each time.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Custom Stuff

Trade: General Contractor - Custom Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

Framerman, I've run into this with several brands of faucets, but only the type with a removable spout. The kind attached to a hose. Many brands have a small screen filter right where the hose connects to the spout and it gets clogged easily. I think Kohler has one in a ss mesh hose but the screen is factory installed and needs to be carefully pried out. When cleaned it goes back in, no more drop in pressure.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 250

Is it the same story with the Hot and Cold?

if it's different maybe you have a leak way back in the pipes, (water bills get higher) check for mosture around the walls, sounds like you checked all the easy stuff...

Did you have the right braided lines or angle stops? too narrow and you will lose pressure after the inital 5 seconds or so.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #6

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 75

There are many things that come to mind, aerator, check stems, diverter, take the supplies off where they connect to the faucet, use a 5 gallon bucket to check the flow, also look into the bucket for rust balls if that is not itlook up the suplies up to the faucets sometimes they put the checks right there, see if you can get them out to clean them. the diverter is in the swing section of the spout, remove all the inner parts to pull the spout off, pry the diverter out and flow some water through it, check the aerator.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #7

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

How old is the house and what kind of pipe is run, galvanized, plastic, copper, etc.? Sounds like you have pipes closing up down the line, not a faucet problem. If the water flows good for more then 6 seconds or so the faucet is not the trouble. Could even be a valve that is not all the way open somewhere.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
The Duke

I took the hose off the sprayer part and found a chunk of something in there. Not sure how much it would restrict the flow. It seems better ATM. The house is quite old, but the plumbing is modern (copper)

We are on a well and I don't think there has been any type of sediment trap installed. My dad did all of the plumbing along with all of the electrical and heating. To say the least I have some issues here and there.

The pressure only dropped last night on the kitchen faucet, no other faucet was affected. Same story hot and cold.

I'll come back if I have anything else happen to it. For now, it seems fine. I'm gonna attempt to replace the washers this weekend to stop the dripping. I'll see how many small parts I can accidentally drop down the drain.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
The Duke

OK, so something is happening I did not see before. If I turn it on full cold, I get full pressure. If I turn it on full hot, it has full pressure, then starts losing gradually.

The timing of when it starts to lose pressure is when the hot water starts getting to the faucet. The hotter it gets, the less pressure I have. So, I turned it off, waited 10 seconds or so and turned it back on. Instant pressure, then almost an instant drop once the hot water got there. If I turn it off for like 60 seconds, I get pressure for a longer time until the hot water reaches the tap, then instant drop in pressure.

I have one of those crappy Bosch instant propane heaters if that's what everyone is going to ask. I went to the bath faucets to check for similar occurrences and did not get the same results as my kitchen faucets. I don't know if the HWH has anything to do with it or not but I'm sure you'll tell me to ditch the HD Bosch heater.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Could be that your kitchen faucet flows more than the Bosch heater flows. You have "capacity" in all the connected pipes to the kitchen faucet. Once you use that up, the pressure drops in accordance with how much the water heater flows. Just a guess.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,184

Somewhat in line with MD's reasoning, you have shutoffs under the sink with flex lines going to the faucet ass'y? Disconnect the hot water flex line and run it into a bucket, and see if you get the same behavior. That would at least prove for sure whether the faucet is actually the problem.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing & Heating
Rewards Points: 10

Regarding the bosch heater, does this pressure happen with other fixtures in the home as well? If not, I doubt I would be the heater but you never know.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing & Heating

The reason I ask is, I install tankless water heaters the Rinnai type, and usually pressure loss is due to too many fixtures being used or insufficient gas to the appliance.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

A pressure reducer valve is known to create this problem, check to see if there is one on the house, if so, it could be the source.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post

The timing of when it starts to lose pressure is when the hot water starts getting to the faucet. The hotter it gets, the less pressure I have. So, I turned it off, waited 10 seconds or so and turned it back on. Instant pressure, then almost an instant drop once the hot water got there. If I turn it off for like 60 seconds, I get pressure for a longer time until the hot water reaches the tap, then instant drop in pressure.

I have one of those crappy Bosch instant propane heaters if that's what everyone is going to ask. I went to the bath faucets to check for similar occurrences and did not get the same results as my kitchen faucets. I don't know if the HWH has anything to do with it or not but I'm sure you'll tell me to ditch the HD Bosch heater.
If the aerator flow is greater than the output of the heater you will get a drop in volume.

If this was an older style faucet that used bibb washers I would say that the hot water is swelling the bibb washers causing them to restrict the flow of water, but this could also the problem if you are using braided stainless steel supplies.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,082
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

To add to this, if the house has galvanized water pipes and you ever have to drain the water lines in the walls, make sure you run the water for a minute and flush all the brown out of the lines before hooking it up to any fixtures or appliances.

I had this problem recently, after re-installing a faucet I turned on the cold and out came brown dirty water. It ran at normal pressure for about 10 seconds then slowed down to about half or one third pressure. So I pulled out my phone and fortunately I found this thread and realized the problem. The dirty water had clogged up the screen in the faucet. All I had to do was take the head off the sprayer, use a screw to pull up the screen and put it back in.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Master Sawdust Producer
Rewards Points: 5,262

Thread is 2 years old. I'm sure he beat this faucet until it was bent and flattened with his largest hammer.

Then bought a new faucet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Splinter hands (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #18

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Thread is 2 years old. I'm sure he beat this faucet until it was bent and flattened with his largest hammer.

And I was about to put my .02 in.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #19
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post

Actually, it was the flexible hose for the faucet head that was the major culprit. I think one of the kids pulled the head out partially and just cranked down on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentWhitten View Post
I took the hose off the sprayer part and found a chunk of something in there. Not sure how much it would restrict the flow. It seems better ATM. The house is quite old, but the plumbing is modern (copper)
I'm glad to see Kenn got it fixed because of this thread.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 11-26-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,082
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentWhitten View Post
Actually, it was the flexible hose for the faucet head that was the major culprit. I think one of the kids pulled the head out partially and just cranked down on it.

I'm glad to see Kenn got it fixed because of this thread.
Me too, glad you had this problem so I could look it up