Gator Bite Fittings, Feed Back Please

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Plumber

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 250

Gator Bite Fittings, Feed Back Please

I'm still not sure if i want to repair any of the pex piping or install it for that matter and I'm starting to get alot of repair calls for it , I've always used copper and still love it !!The quest fittings feel and look cheap to use , on the other hand they've come out with the gator bite fittings which is brass for pex, cpvc & copper pipe for the fittings for repairs and joining the different materials , has anyone had good or bad news using thses fittings. ( Gator Bites) Thanks in advance.

Try to send these jobs overseas !!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Gator Bite Fittings, Feed Back Please

Do they calls them Shark Bites also? If so there code approved here, I'd use a coupling from copper only if I could not get solder to take do to water problems.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

yea ive never heard of gator bites....but what you explained sounds liek a shark bite, and no no problems so far. they are a life saver
Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

You guys are right !!! They are called shark bites my mistake.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Pro Plumber

Rewards Points: 2,000

There quick and fast to install but they sure are pricy, 1/2" tee was about $14 at the big box store, might be cheaper at my supplier.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Fixer Upper

Trade: general contractor

They both exist. One "Gator Bites" is sold at Lowe's. The "Shark Bites" are sold at Home Depot and others. I have been using for a few months and so far so good. Has anyone ever heard of any negatives?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC, I specialize in Hydronic Heating and more specifically in Radiant Floor Heating
Rewards Points: 500

Gatorbites are Sharkbites sold under a different name for Lowes.

Stop shopping at Lowes and deal with a real supply house if possible.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Proud Plumber

Trade: Plumbing/Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Gator bite, shark bite are the same and called tec tite at ferguson. I like them in the correct use. I think they are a great repair fitting when water is coming in on you. I also keep a tec tite rig set up when I do a freeze and repair. Tec tite is available up to 2" now. I find it comforting when I am doing a freeze/repair to know I have a set up I can quickly install is if the freeze plug were to let go. I also did a quick 1/2 repair on the fly once with a 1/2 tec tite.

"I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead".... Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Plumbing is a Profession

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC
Rewards Points: 150

Here's Shark Bite Mania

I will only use them for testing and a quick repair that I intend to come back and fix the right way. In my opinion these are just another product that had it not been for lobbiest money would have been canned by the code review board the second they opened the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Gator bite fittings, feed back please-sharkbite-heaven.jpg  
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Proud Plumber

Trade: Plumbing/Building Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster3015 View Post
Here's Shark Bite Mania

I will only use them for testing and a quick repair that I intend to come back and fix the right way. In my opinion these are just another product that had it not been for lobbiest money would have been canned by the code review board the second they opened the box.
OMG!!!! that is funny. The worlds most expensive plumbing. I wish I had gotten a picture of it, I saw a shower not long ago completely piped in Pex and these crap plastic sharkbite type fittings. It was classic DIY work.

"I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead".... Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Plumbing is a Profession

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC
Rewards Points: 150

The excuse was that it was still a lot less expensive than hiring a plumber would have been.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical

There is a handyman hack that is always in my supply house, he buys these things by the case load. He told my buddy at the counter that he refuses to solder anymore because he has a lot of complaints about leaks. With the bites he has no more leaks. Apparently he tells home owners that soldering is for guys that like to overcharge and this is the replacement. He attempted to ask me questions about tankless installs a few weeks back, I laughed at him and called him a criminal. He has since stayed out of my way. I have a feeling all the all the WAMU bankers will start buying these and call themselves plumbers.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNLA View Post
There is a handyman hack that is always in my supply house, he buys these things by the case load. He told my buddy at the counter that he refuses to solder anymore because he has a lot of complaints about leaks. With the bites he has no more leaks. Apparently he tells home owners that soldering is for guys that like to overcharge and this is the replacement. He attempted to ask me questions about tankless installs a few weeks back, I laughed at him and called him a criminal. He has since stayed out of my way. I have a feeling all the all the WAMU bankers will start buying these and call themselves plumbers.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #14

Trade: SE Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster3015 View Post
Here's Shark Bite Mania

I bought the copper ones to fix a leaking Myson radiator. The piping comes out of the wall very tight and Im afraid the torch heat will burn out the pipe joint compound. Seems to be where it is dripping.
First time Ive seen these things.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #15

Trade: Chief of Maintenance 57 acre resort

Been using Gator Bite fittings for water leak repairs. Will solder when valves hold. Have had great success with the fittings.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: GC/Transportation

Yep shark bites get used when the customer, (usually a penny pinching landlord) wants a pipe fixed or capped. I tell them what plumbers I use, give them the two guys that I use phone #'s, I get a call back about how the plumbers want too much.(Yeah being professional, licenced and standing by their work should be done for pennies in their opinion!) "Can you do it for like $100?" They get 45 mins of my time and a sharkbite with no warranty.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #17
the pipe master

Trade: plumbing, solar

hey TZ, what kind of leaks are you getting on the pex pipe?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 640

My house
Attached Thumbnails
Gator bite fittings, feed back please-sharkbite.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #19

Trade: Mechanical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzzzz216 View Post
I'm still not sure if i want to repair any of the pex piping or install it for that matter and I'm starting to get alot of repair calls for it , I've always used copper and still love it !!The quest fittings feel and look cheap to use , on the other hand they've come out with the gator bite fittings which is brass for pex, cpvc & copper pipe for the fittings for repairs and joining the different materials , has anyone had good or bad news using thses fittings. ( Gator Bites) Thanks in advance.

Try to send these jobs overseas !!
If you plan on reparing or installing PE-X - I reccomend SharkBite fittings and not GatorBite. Gatorbite is a knock off of the SharkBite fitting and does not come with the PE-X Stiffenor whcih is required for push fit fittings / PE-X applications. SharkBite has the PE-X Stiffenor pre-installed.

Hakuna Matata!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #20

Trade: Mechanical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrek View Post
Yep shark bites get used when the customer, (usually a penny pinching landlord) wants a pipe fixed or capped. I tell them what plumbers I use, give them the two guys that I use phone #'s, I get a call back about how the plumbers want too much.(Yeah being professional, licenced and standing by their work should be done for pennies in their opinion!) "Can you do it for like $100?" They get 45 mins of my time and a sharkbite with no warranty.
SharkBite fittings have a 25 year warranty if installed properely

Hakuna Matata!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KnifeGun For This Useful Post:
416plumbers (06-12-2012), TracyMC (03-17-2011)