Gas Pipe Question....

Old 02-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #1

Trade: Contractor
Question

Gas Pipe Question....

I am supposed to run a pipe from an outdoor pool heater, to an outdoor fire place. The pipe is just going to be exposed, running against a concrete wall. I've received a ton of different opinions about this, but should the pipe be a galvanized steel pipe, or a black pipe. I think black piping will rust won't it?

Thanks,
Scott.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor

Re: Gas Pipe Question....

get on the horn get a p1 or utility company out there

Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Plumber

Trade: Plumbing

Poolman said it best !! I would use sch 80 black iron pipe ,hung with unistrut , per local codes .
Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbigfresh View Post
I am supposed to run a pipe from an outdoor pool heater, to an outdoor fire place. The pipe is just going to be exposed, running against a concrete wall. I've received a ton of different opinions about this, but should the pipe be a galvanized steel pipe, or a black pipe. I think black piping will rust won't it?

Thanks,
Scott.
Black pipe will rust....however it doesn't matter. It's not underground so it won't erode, at least not in our lifetimes. That said, I'll still use Galvi on almost all of my outdoor pipping. It does cost a little more, but customers know the difference. Side note, the threads on the galvi pipe will rust..or atleast turn reddish as that doesn't have the galvinized coating.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Use black pipe for gas, that's what it is made for, using galvanized is against code in many jurisdictions, also sometimes a problem with insurance companies. There is also copper pipe made for natural gas, but you have to make sure it's the right stuff. If the black pipe is exposed and you are worried about rust, paint it.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
Pro

Actually it really depends on what area it's going in....

Some places actually REQUIRE galvi for outdoor gas lines.
Some places require it to be black pipe, but must be painted.
Some areas don't give a damn.

Code generally indicated black pipe, however I understand that many many cities involve galvi. Around here, almost all outdoor gassing is galvi.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Home Improvement Contractor

Being exposed, would'nt you paint it? Paint with a rustoleum type enamel? Using black pipe. Paint it gray to blend into the block wall.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborn View Post
Being exposed, would'nt you paint it? Paint with a rustoleum type enamel? Using black pipe. Paint it gray to blend into the block wall.
If it's not required you will be hard pressed to find a plumber who is going to paint it out of the goodness of his heart. If it is required, yes it's usually that "factory" grey color. Than again, I have seen them painted yellow too.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Pro

Update:

This one was pissing me off, so I emailed my local inspector.
Here's what he had to say and for my local area this is the bible speaking, he is the head inspector and there are about 8 others below him!

"1- THE GALVANIZED PIPE FOR GAS IS OK 6'' ABOVE GROUND.

2- BLACK PIPE MUST BE PROTECTED WHEN IS INSTALLED ON THE OUTSIDE AND PAINTED.

3- DRIP TEES IS A RECOMMENDATION WHEN THE GAS COMPANY INDICATES THAT THERE IS MOISTURE ON THE GAS SUPPLY. (this was something I wanted to know)

4- ALL UNDER GROUND PIPE MUST BE FACTORY WRAP AND THE FITTING SHELL BE PAINTED AND WRAPPED WITH 20 MILL TAPE."

So, answer #1 is stating that the pipe (galvi) can be used 6" above the grade from the factory painted riser (I still call it scotch coat). All gassing connections (6" above grade) can be galvi pipe. which was the original question.....i think

Have a look at answer #4, he said "Fitting SHELL" Is that just the fitting he is speaking about? Never heard it called shell before....

So there it is from the guy who indirectly signs my checks.
I diid look at my local codes, and there is no mention of any of this in there, so I assume his responce was per UPC.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Plumber

Trade: Plumbing

I think it meant " and the fitting SHALL be..."