Frozen Tankless WH

Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 126

Frozen Tankless WH

Let me start by saying I'm a carpenter not a plumber but I have done extensive plumbing for my self and helped out some close family so I understand it. A good friend called me over the weekend and said his tank-less WH froze and a line inside the coil busted. I told him Id take a look at it and see if I could give him any advise. The basement was about 60 degrees. It got down to 0 the night before. I don't think it should freeze. The only thing I can think of is another cold air made its way down the exhaust pipe to cause the coil to freeze. (Still don't think this should happen). Is there something more I could suggest he do or have done when they put in a new unit?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,172

Re: Frozen Tankless WH

power vent functional?

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #3

Trade: sewer repair and replacement
Rewards Points: 20

yeah. Proper installation is critical. Tankless water heaters usually have heat exchanger heaters but some are stronger than others. Venting length and direction can affect performance. The whole set up should be checked against the mfrs installation specification. Proper plumbing is critical.

Tracy,
Aces Four
Old 01-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #4

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 26

Throw in a recirc pump with a built-in thermostat and set it to the lowest setting, this way it will kick on whenever the temp starts to drop.
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjaplumber For This Useful Post:
MonsieurBon (01-19-2017)