Frozen Drain Pipe

Old 01-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #1

Frozen Drain Pipe

Bath tub drain of second floor bathroom froze in our 1 deg. winter today.
Drain pipe travels down outside wall into basement. Is there a small clog somewhere that would allow water to pool so it could freeze? I cant't see running water freeze in a 2 in. pipe. What do you think about spraying GREAT STUFF into floor cavity where pipe enters wall in basement? Should I just wrap exposed pipe in fiberglass?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: underground

Re: Frozen Drain Pipe

Sometimes sealing around a pipe like that will worsen the situation - whatever heat was getting into the wall cavity is now sealed out. Same goes for insulation. You're right that it's unusual for a 2" drain pipe to freeze. There's probably a clog building that has been exacerbated by freezing. Liquid plumber might generate some heat and open it up. However you do it, it sounds like you have an obstruction that needs to be addressed.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #3

Re: Frozen Drain Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy
Sometimes sealing around a pipe like that will worsen the situation - whatever heat was getting into the wall cavity is now sealed out. Same goes for insulation. You're right that it's unusual for a 2" drain pipe to freeze. There's probably a clog building that has been exacerbated by freezing. Liquid plumber might generate some heat and open it up. However you do it, it sounds like you have an obstruction that needs to be addressed.
I should have mentioned that applying hair drier heat to that basement elbow drained the tub.